U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,355,726 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 considering a move east from Aledo. My husband works in Coppell and the commute is not sustainable. Bought our home here in 2008 at a great price, love the area/ neighbors, but family comes first and the drive is just too much even with overnights in hotels near work etc. I have concerns about frying pan ->fire moving to Southlake in regards to the focus on sports. My boys enjoy sports (2nd graders) and we are happy for them to participate but we like to do lots of different things- so our every waking moment is not consumed with baseball, all stars, Sat/Sun all day at ballpark. My sons are bright, personable, and mix well in any crowd. I also worry about going from one homogenous area to another, but at least Southlake has more transplants to get out of the crowd of people who have never left TX and maybe have a bit more evolved worldview.

Grapevine/Colleyville is my first choice because while the schools are highly rated, they maintain diversity in a way that Southlake can't due to home prices. In Aledo we are very average financially (people with more $ and people with less) and I bet in certain areas of Colleyville and Southlake we would be way out of our league so to speak.

It's a lot to think about. The boys and I have great friends here and I like the schools and have a presence there that's hard to walk away from. But my husband is burned out and exhausted yet doesn't want to make a bad financial decision by moving. I am currently a SAHM but my options for finding part time work explode with a move to this area (I'm a dental hygienist).

Couple specific questions:
That little section of Grapevine that is zoned to Carroll ISD- there are some nice houses over there, but honestly, is there any discrimination or snobbery?

If we can't find a house in our price range with a pool, what are options for club memberships/ public pools (Lifetime Fitness comes to mind). Are the public pools just a free for all or are they well kept and clean?

I'm sure I will think of more questions. Thanks in advance for some unbiased advice/thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,362,056 times
We looked in exactly that area for the last 2 years and bought in March. Obviously we're just one family and therefore just one data point.

Grapevine is the most socioeconomically diverse of the three burbs. Part of Grapevine are just as affluent as many parts of Southlake or Colleyville, but a few parts (the apartment complexes on Mustang Drive are one highly notable example) are pretty much at the other end of the spectrum.

As some quick points of reference, the two GCISD high schools have about 13% "economically disadvantaged" in the student body, Carroll Senior has about 1.3%. Median household income in Grapevine is ~76K (you can obviously look up the specific data either here on city-data or at the Census.gov on their "American Factfinder"), which is inline with Aledo at ~78K, while in Colleyville it's roughly 160K and Southlake is about 183K. Average SAT at the two GCISD high schools is about 1100 (verbal plus math) while at Carroll Senior it's about 1150, but again that's likey due to demographics moreso than "school quality".

Southlake has a reputation for being "flashier" than Colleyville or Grapevine, and of course it has Southlake Town Square-Upscale-Mall-Shop-O-Rama. Mainly for that reason (we're not the types who give a darn about what "The Joneses" are doing, much less trying to "keep up" with them) we thought we'd end up in Colleyville, but as it turned out the best house we found for us was in Southlake. Go figure.

Our experience, as I've related many times before - we bought in an "older" area (built in the early 90's, this always makes me laugh as we relo'd from a place where "90's" construction would be quite new) and our neighbors so far have been very nice and seem relatively "down-to-earth" (lots of boring pickup trucks and Toyotas/Hyundais/etc., there are a fair share of Mercedes/beemers/lexuseseses as well but not scads of them). That may be partially due to all the "flashy" people only buying new construction, dunno.

My daughter has commented that it's more difficult to make friends at the elementary school compared to her old one (which was a Dallas ISD school with much different demographics) and there's more drama/cliques, but so far she seems relatively happy there. They seem to do a good job teaching the kids and our neighbors had a lot of positive things to say about our particular elementary.

A former co-worker of mine lives in Colleyville and she loves it, and also had great things to say about the elementary school her oldest was starting at. So really, you can't go wrong with either area.

Carroll ISD does take their sports quite seriously, although I think the biggest emphasis is on football (but then, if you're currently in Aledo you're no stranger to that phenomenom). Don't know how intense the baseball program is (we only have the daughter who's about the same age as your boys). I have no idea about GCISDs programs in that regard.

Can't help you with the pools. I know Colleyville has a number of parks for kids - we visited them a lot when we were looking to get familiar with the area and greatly enjoyed them. We have our own pool so haven't researched the Carroll area items in that regard. Our friends in Keller are members of one of the aquatic center thingies there and love it, but I don't know much more than that.

Dare I ask what your price range is and roughly what size home you're looking for? That might narrow down you choices. Also, since your husband works in Coppell, have you considered buying there as well? If Colleyville/Southlake are within your price range then I think Coppell would be as well. It also has excellent schools and is a great overall location, it's somewhat upscale but not as much as Southlake/Colleyville. There's probably more affordable home choices than Southlake/Colleyville, although they go very fast there.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 PM

11,189 posts, read 24,467,049 times
My husband and and I have lived in Grapevine for 12 years now, so please feel free to ask more detailed questions. Unfortunately for you, we do not have children, so I can't speak specifically about the schools. I do know there are some that have much more economic disadvantage than others, and they have dual-language programs. (Timberline and Silver Lake elementaries)

The little silver of Grapevine that is CISD schools is under the main approach path for DFW, and it gets a lot of jet noise. It's also not in the most accessible location for shopping, etc.

Grapevine Parks & Rec has several lovely public pools that are kept up very well, and one just got expanded with a water slide park. (Lifetime Fitness is very nice, but it is also quite expensive...) There is also the community center, which has basketball and racquetball courts, and a gym, for $85 annually for a family. The city is about to start a huge expansion/renovation project to make it like NRH's new center. Plus, the area around Lake Grapevine has lots of parks, a softball complex, etc.

Coppell's property taxes are considerably higher than Grapevine. Last time I did the math, you pay about $2k more annually in taxes there on the same $250k house as in Grapevine.

And yes, your employment options here would be excellent. There are literally hundreds of dental practices in the area, especially along Harwood Road in Bedford and Hurst!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Thank you both for your responses. I can't give great reasons for not being open to Coppell other than I'm just not into how it feels. I'm a North TX native and Grapevine/ Colleyville have always been familiar and seem to stay in demand and well kept regardless of the fluctuations of the market. We have a realtor friend working on comps for us and we will ruminate on that data for a bit. Fingers crossed it is good news!

Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 AM

473 posts, read 1,130,948 times
If you haven't, have a look at some communities in your price range in Flower Mound. It has excellent schools, lots of greenery, parks, low property tax (2.19%) and very close to Coppell.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,572,140 times
Funny, I moved from Coppell towards the area you are moving from, a little more southwest actually and we are thinking about relocating to Aledo area in the next few years....Coppell was a decent place to live for 10 years, however I am big on living as close to work as possible, and I don't miss it. Hence why we moved. I can relate to how you feel about not being as open to living there. I'm originally from Southlake, loved it growing up but it's now expensive and overcrowded...well, it's overcrowded in pretty much all of the Metroplex, in my opinion, but to each their own. Coming from Aledo to Southlake, you should be familiar with the sports phenomenon, especially football but Southlake is much larger than it used to be and there are ALOT more options/activities besides just sports. That was pretty much the only and for some people, the most important thing when I was there. You're moving from an area that is more rural so living in the immediate Metroplex WILL be different. I don't think you can go wrong with Colleyville/Grapevine/Southlake area. I can totally understand how your husband feels about the drive and it all boils down to what is the best fit for your family. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,948 times
Saw this post while searching for info to pass along to my FIL who is house-hunting in Grapevine right now to be close to his grandkids, and had to reply!

Minus a short stint in Roanoke for commuting ease, we have lived in Grapevine for over 20 years, and are raising our 3 kids here(8th, 4th, & 2nd grades). We absolutely love it. All 3 kids are in GCISD schools, and I firmly believe every campus in GCISD is a quality campus. The district is more diverse than Carroll, including economically disadvantaged, but the district understands the role poverty plays in student success & has many community partners who assist with ensuring every child has the opportunity to excel in GCISD(Education Foundation, active PTA's, GRACE outreach, churches, cities of Grapevine & Colleyville, and myriad businesses).

When house-hunting, pay attention to attendance zones, and always double-check w/the district rather than taking the agent or info sheet's word. Some of the AZs are a little confusing, with 4 middle schools that split to some degree to feed the two high schools. For the elementary campuses, if there is a particular program you want, make sure you're in the AZ. Silver Lake, Cannon & Timberline all have dual-language(parents camp out for entry), Cannon has a STEM emphasis, and Glenhope has the new gifted & talented academy ASPIRE--this one is not AZ specific, but identified higher GT, & transportation is provided from the student's home campus.

GCISD has also recently allowed some open enrollment, for campuses that have room, for neighborhoods that are within the Grapevine and Colleyville city limits, but are zoned for Keller, HEB, and Carroll ISDs. So taking the neighborhood you asked about--in Grapevine but w/Carroll schools, you could transfer to GCISD, but the closest elem to that neighborhood, Dove, does not currently have room so the family would have to pick from the elem campuses that do have capacity. I can throw a rock from my house & hit that neighborhood & we don't have an airplane noise problem.

For parks, as someone mentioned, Dove Pool was completely renovated for 2013 and looks like a mini-country club. It is amazing, and for $100 your entire family can swim all summer, or it's $2/person per visit. Pleasant Glade pool in South Grapevine is up for renovation now as well. The voters recently approved renovating the Community Activities Center which will include an indoor pool, and GCISD has a swim center(although the water is kept at competition temp). The city also did a multi-million dollar overhaul of the Oak Grove baseball/softball complex a few years ago, and it is stunning as well. We love to get $1 bag of popcorn and watch our kids play softball & baseball. Soccer, camping & kayaking at Meadowmere or the Vineyards, miles and miles of hike & bike trails, rec basketball & volleyball for both youth & adults, it is impossible to not be active. GPaRD just does a stellar job.

How does Grapevine afford this? Well, our tax rate is one of the lowest, but our daytime population swells & we reap the benefits in sales tax & hotel tax collections: Grapevine Mills, Great Wolf, Gaylord, Main Street Days, Grapefest, Main Street historic district, winery/tasting rooms and Christmas Capital events. Civic organizations are very strong, too, Rotary(flags on Main for Memorial Day), Lions, Chamber(sponsor the Christmas parade), Keep Grapevine Beautiful, Garden Club, Historical Society, and Heritage Foundation.

Love love love our Christmas parade--the prize-winning floats are always those built by the Dads' Clubs of the various elem schools. Love our small-town charm w/Main Street & all the homes in the historic district, movies at the Palace Theater, historical programs at Nash Farm, the beauty of the Botanic Gardens(especially in spring w/tulips & daffodils), grabbing a burger at Big Daddy's at Scott's Marina on the lake, oh, and the fireworks over the lake on the Fourth of July PLUS fireworks every Friday sponsored by the Gaylord.

Close to shopping, plenty of services, Baylor, road construction is practically done. It's a great time to move to Grapevine!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 AM

35,460 posts, read 55,051,219 times
Grapevine also has tax revenue from DFW airport I believe

you might also consider Flower Mound (Lewisville ISD is top-rated and think you get even better academics than with Carroll ISD), and NRHills is great area--some of it is zone for Keller ISD, some for Birdville ISD and there are strong schools in both areas...

if you want a decent commute you can't afford to go too far west and NRHills is at far edge...
Trophy Club might also be worth a look--Northwest ISD and new high school serving Trophy Club area

Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Thank you all for your replies- esp Grapevine Mom for the pertinent school info. My SiL has taught in GCISD twice about 15 years apart and sings the praises. A realtor contacted me because she knew we were vacillating but we have twins in 2nd grade and both have such phenomenal teachers I hate to move them mid year! I think all roads are leading to GCISD at this point. No doubt great schools also in FloMo/Lew/HV but just a bit too far from family, and that nagging sense of "this doesn't feel like home." We shall see! Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 PM

91 posts, read 152,242 times
anybody care to opinion on the "best" schools (Elem, Middle, HS) withing Grapevine ISD ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth