U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,279 times

Advertisements

This will be my first big move to an area I have no idea about. Ft. Worth, TX. I'm newly married to a Marine that is being stationed at the Ft. Worth military base. His start date out in Ft. Worth is Dec. 7th so we are kinda scrambling to find a place to live. This is very new to me and don't know where to start. Anyone that has lived in the area near the base or any recommendations on where to live near there would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 AM

10,544 posts, read 22,433,698 times
What's your budget for housing?
Do you want a house or an apartment?
Are schools important?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 AM

16,937 posts, read 2,181,643 times
Will you be coming with him 12/07? Can you give some details - family size, needs/wants/necessities, rental/purchase budget? Does he know if housing is available or does he have a statement of non-availability?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM

I'm so lost about the military moving situation. He has informed me that he may be able to get to Ft. Worth a little bit earlier to check out places to live.

Our BAH is $1290, but we don't want to use all that for renting a place. We really don't want to live on base either.

Family size : 2 adults, 2 little dogs.
I'd say the max we want to pay for rent is... $750? I don't know if that's reasonable to have a good place for that amount.
Schools are not important. We don't have children.
I've lived in apartments and to tell you the truth, I'd really prefer a townhouse. I'd like to live somewhere closer to Ft. Worth base so the commute for him isn't time consuming.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Will you be coming with him 12/07? Can you give some details - family size, needs/wants/necessities, rental/purchase budget? Does he know if housing is available or does he have a statement of non-availability?
Oh.. i missed that question.. I don't know when I will be moving out there with him. I'm trying to get the military to move me. It's just too hard for me to do all the work of packing and moving all our furniture out to Texas.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:37 PM

10,544 posts, read 22,433,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntressAngela View Post
Oh.. i missed that question.. I don't know when I will be moving out there with him. I'm trying to get the military to move me. It's just too hard for me to do all the work of packing and moving all our furniture out to Texas.
The military will do that for you.

You are going to need to up the budget for rent to at least $1000. BAH is quoted at that rate because that's what it's likely going to cost to live here. Townhouses are hard to find here, and they go quickly. If schools are not important, look in White Settlement and Lake Worth areas.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 9,058 times
westworth village and river oaks are also very close to the base and have reasonable rental rates.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 AM

16,937 posts, read 2,181,643 times
With schools not being a factor - commute will be. Your budget is too low for a town house, even for a 2-br apartment with amenities such as a garage. He can either move into guest quarters on base or use an extended stay to check out the area for a couple of days especially traffic patterns.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate it. i agree Threestep, about him figuring out the traffic patterns. I can't do that from Orlando.. lol. Oh my husband doesn't make my wife job easy.. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth