U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM

45,594 posts, read 65,150,823 times

Advertisements

This story sure will outrage some...
Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI crash | News - Home
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,207,634 times
Since when has the law applied to the rich? From drug dealers to Wall Street. If it is not legal. Lobby to make it legal. One day this country will learn that the rich run it.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM

5,796 posts, read 5,858,370 times
Nichole Baukus got 38 years for doing the same thing, but she only killed 2 and injured 1 other. She will be eligible for parole after only 34 years. I bet she would rather be in a Malibu rehab center.

Which court got it right ?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 PM

286 posts, read 409,736 times
Default Thoughts on Affluenza kid.

Multiple offender, 16 yr old kid kills 4 and paralyzes one while driving drunk. His punishment.. probation and rehab. Apparently, it isn't his fault because he grew up affluent and feels he is above the law. He suffers from (dun, dun, dun!!) Affluenza.

I know this happened in Fort Worth, but have you guys seen this Affluenza disease in Dallas and the surrounding burbs (mainly WP where I plan on moving)?

Is this a good example of the Texas justice system?

What are your thoughts on this case?

I want to add... this "affluent" teen was caught on camera stealing 2 cases of beer before the crash. SMH

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4430807.html

Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 PM

286 posts, read 409,736 times
This is the Rehab center he is being "forced" to go to. It's near Malibu, CA and it cost $450,000 a year to stay there.

The Experience at Promises Addiction Treatment Programs

Old 12-13-2013, 05:27 AM

37,000 posts, read 41,211,820 times
I say there are 2 threads over in the P&OC section you should join and discuss.

All of a sudden the word Affluenza is a cool word to say.

That's my opinion.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM

996 posts, read 784,783 times
Affluenza, how do you get it? Is it contagious? Is there a cure? LOL.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM

329 posts, read 695,492 times
As has always been, the inequity is due to wealth. Therapy is expensive. It's cheaper to send people to warehouses where we can feel better about having them locked up, and where stupid kids learn to be real criminals.

Locking this kid up won't do any good. It won't change what happened and won't bring back those who died. If it teaches him any lessons, it'll be on how to be a real criminal. We have a perverse sense of justice, loving to lock people up when it does no good for anyone.

Some people do belong in prison, but prison makes no sense to me unless it's for life. Locking up someone for years and then releasing them and expecting them to be better is stupid. We don't need more rich people in prison; we need more poor people in therapy, being rehabilitated.

I'm a relative of a murder victim; I've seen what crime does. I'm not advocating that we "coddle" criminals. I'm saying that we should lock up forever those of unredeemable guilt to get them out of society, and that others should be sent somewhere to be taught how to be better. Human warehousing teaches people to be worse. Actual rehabilitation may offend our sense of justice, but it works. In some other places where they focus on rehabilitation instead of on confinement, recidivism rates are much lower.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM

2,773 posts, read 4,946,212 times
Shoot, Elnina, this is outraging a LOT of people and I am definitely among them. This accident happened just few miles from my home.

After the judge handed down this sentence, this has received national attention. I watched a short clip with Anderson Cooper interviewing the doctor who was trying to described the term "Affluenza" which is nothing more IMO than spoiled, rich kid brat. Watch the "Affluenza" Psychologist's Frustrating Interview With Anderson Cooper Affluenza: CNN's Anderson Cooper interview Dr. G. Dick Miller, defense-called psychologist in case of Ethan Couch.

I got an email just this morning that's circulating around about this which included this link How A Teen Successfully Used His Wealth As A Defense For Killing Four People | ThinkProgress. Last night on the local 10:00 news the attorney for the Couch boy was trying to defend his client's punishment. He said that oh yes, he was being punished and then begin listing things that the boy was now going to be deprived of. One was he was not going to be able to live with his parents. Well no, he is going to have to live in a resort atmosphere rehabilitation center with the annual cost of $450.000.00. They showed a picture of the place, OMG, please send me there, I'm begging. Yep, I'm quite sure the kid would rather hang around in the big town of Burleson, TX than in this resort (and yep, that's basically what it is) in SoCal.

Oh yeah, the stupid attorney went on the say the kid was not going to be able to drive his truck ~ boo hoo, boo hoo AND he was having his Xbox taken away from him.

I'm not kidding and I'm not making any of this up, this is what the defense lawyer said in his interview last night on the 10:00 news. I mean we are talking about a kid who just killed four innocent people, and 2 of his buddies riding along on this little adventure are seriously injured and Papa is paying the kid's way out of the entire mess and a stupid lawyer laments the poor boy is having his Xbox taken from him.

It goes beyond my comprehension. No sign of conscience in any of this.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:53 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,098,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
we are talking about a kid who just killed four innocent people, and 2 of his buddies riding along on this little adventure are seriously injured and Papa is paying the kid's way out of the entire mess and a stupid lawyer laments the poor boy is having his Xbox taken from him.
^^^And that's the crux of the matter right there. Spoiled ayehole with parents who bail his backside out of everything.

To the best of knowledge and belief, I have yet to meet any families like this (and stereotypes aside, the overwhelming majority of affluent parents I've encountered worry about their kids becoming entitled spoiled brats and work proactively to minimize that), but I'm sure there are some out there.

If I were Emperor, I'd have locked the darn kid up somewhere, AND locked his parents up as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth