Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM

26 posts, read 36,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Fort Worth is a lot more Texan than Dallas, which IMHO tries really hard to pretend its an east coast city. Fort Worth is proud of its Texas heritage and takes the nickname "cowtown" seriously. There are a lot of transplants here, and as a native Texan, I am a distinct minority.
Thanks!

Everything I heard over on the Dallas forum was that Fort Worth was the more Texan of the two twin cities, and it looks to be the case. I'll likely check out both Dallas and Fort Worth next November, but at this point on research alone it appears that Fort Worth is the clear winner over Dallas.

Also by "a lot of transplants" is it Dallas bad, or just a handful in the downtown area? A lot of transplants in Florida means that the population is made up of +80% people from New Jersey, Michigan, or New York.

Just want to find out what your definition of a lot is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM

Another thing... How is the local economy, as Cowtowner's or Fort Worthian's, can you tell me if its hard to find work? I have a set field that I will be looking for employment within, but I just wanted to get a vibe for the job market over all.

From my experience a good job market = a vibrant local economy... whereas a bad job market = a stagnated or collapsing local economy.

I plan on eventually starting my own business so the economic state of the area I plan to move to is a big deal.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:46 PM

367 posts, read 817,762 times
Okay, I'm a transplant, but I'm from Missouri, so maybe you'll think I'm okay?

Texans seem to be overall pretty tolerant of those of us so unfortunate to have been born elsewhere, which is good, because there's lots of us here. DFW is a prime location for retirement, but not from the northeast so much - perhaps it's just their culture you dislike so much.

I'm in a mid-city suburb (North Richland Hills) on the Fort Worth side of town, and I can tell you I meet LOTS of non-native Texans around here. However, of all the places I've lived - St. Louis and Kansas City, Missouri, Southaven Mississippi, Las Vegas Nevada, New Jersey, Virginia and southern California - it's is, overall, chock-full of the nicest people, culturally, and one of the easiest places I've lived to make friends with folks.

Texans may be surprised to hear this, but I find that DFW has an excellent service culture overall, which means that you can shop/go to restaurants and service is usually friendly and good.

The economy is very good, especially compared to lots of the rest of the country, and our real estate market is very hot right now (my Realtor friends are all very busy and very happy!). Jobs are generally plentiful, especially in the health care field, but of course, that depends on your profession. DFW is HQ for many large and medium-sized companies, plus there's a vibrant small business networking scene that makes it easy to get started in a new business and find support (and customers) should you go down that path.

Unless you are very lucky, be prepared to make a drive for work. Traffic here is the worst of any place I've lived - accept it immediately or it will drive you crazy!

I *love* downtown Fort Worth, and would strongly consider living there - and other parts of the city too - if I didn't have to worry about schools for kidlets. Maybe someday...

It's HOT here, but due to the drought, not so much humidity makes it livable. We can all go indoors for a/c anyway! Winters are generally mild but we can get some short periods of very cold weather, and on rare occasion, snow and/or ice.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB23 View Post
Okay, I'm a transplant, but I'm from Missouri, so maybe you'll think I'm okay?
You're golden. Its the ones from the Northeast that I'm trying to avoid. Trust me, if you have ever lived in Florida for a prolonged period of time then you will understand why Florida natives greatly dislike those from the New England area.

Think of native Coloradians and transplants from California... the feud between native Floridians and transplants from New England is 100 times worse.

I don't consider anyone from the South or Texas to be a transplant since we all share the same values and what not. We have different cultures, but at our core we are all the same more or less.

IF we move to Texas I plan to fully assimilate into being a Texan. First day I'll raise the Lone Star Flag and I'll adopt the Stars and the Rangers as my new hockey and baseball teams. I'm already a Cowboys fan so I got that base covered already.

Quote:
Texans seem to be overall pretty tolerant of those of us so unfortunate to have been born elsewhere, which is good, because there's lots of us here. DFW is a prime location for retirement, [b]but not from the northeast so much[b]
Music to my ears!

Quote:
perhaps it's just their culture you dislike so much.
Their culture, or lack there of, is a major issue. The one's that have moved to Florida don't have a distinct culture of their own and they set out and try to destroy anything resembling a culture.

In my area the transplants bulldozed an old Seminole village that wasn't protected by reservation laws, they got their people on the county commission and passed laws which shut down virtually the entire chicken and pork industry in our county so they could use the land to build a golf course, they were able to bulldoze a Confederate cemetery to build another golf course, they tried changing the name of Brooksville, FL to North Bay, FL about three times, and since they own the county commission, because there are so many of them, they got the county to spend a massive amount of money to build a 9/11 memorial. Which would be fine if anybody from Hernando died in the attacks, which is not the case. Nobody from Hernando died in the attacks. Heck Tampa, Miami, and Orlando don't even have one and they had people die in the attacks.The money used on the memorial was intended to save that cemetery that got bulldozed, and was intended to save three historic mansions that date back to 1843, 1857, and 1862.

I could go on, but I think this gives a snippet about why I and the few natives that remain in my area dislike them so much.

Quote:
The economy is very good, especially compared to lots of the rest of the country, and our real estate market is very hot right now (my Realtor friends are all very busy and very happy!). Jobs are generally plentiful, especially in the health care field, but of course, that depends on your profession. DFW is HQ for many large and medium-sized companies, plus there's a vibrant small business networking scene that makes it easy to get started in a new business and find support (and customers) should you go down that path.
Good to know!!!!

Quote:
It's HOT here, but due to the drought, not so much humidity makes it livable. We can all go indoors for a/c anyway! Winters are generally mild but we can get some short periods of very cold weather, and on rare occasion, snow and/or ice.

Hope that helps!
It does! Thanks!

The weather already sounds better... in Florida we don't have a fall or spring, it just goes from 90+ degree temps and 100% humidity 10 months out of the year, to 20-30 temps the other 2 months, and it never snows. I mean it has "snowed" before, but what they call snow is not even visibly noticeable. The last and only time it actually snowed in Florida was back in 1980 and it snowed 1/2 a foot.

The more I hear about Fort-Worth the more I like it.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 PM

367 posts, read 817,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bova Fett View Post
You're golden. Its the ones from the Northeast that I'm trying to avoid. Trust me, if you have ever lived in Florida for a prolonged period of time then you will understand why Florida natives greatly dislike those from the New England area.

Think of native Coloradians and transplants from California... the feud between native Floridians and transplants from New England is 100 times worse.
I lived in Nevada for a year - I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
I don't consider anyone from the South or Texas to be a transplant since we all share the same values and what not. We have different cultures, but at our core we are all the same more or less.

IF we move to Texas I plan to fully assimilate into being a Texan. First day I'll raise the Lone Star Flag and I'll adopt the Stars and the Rangers as my new hockey and baseball teams. I'm already a Cowboys fan so I got that base covered already. =
Missouri is south-ish, but close enough. Lots of midwesterners here, so it's pretty friendly.

Ugh, Cowboys fan? I'm a Chiefs fan - they were here FIRST!

Gotta love a state who once used this flag in battle:

Quote:
I could go on, but I think this gives a snippet about why I and the few natives that remain in my area dislike them so much.
You'll meet northeasterners here, but we don't have enough to cause the kind of trouble you're talking about.

Thanks for confirming more reasons why I have always avoided moving to Florida.

Quote:
The more I hear about Fort-Worth the more I like it.
It's just a nice place overall, really. Cosmopolitan enough but combined with more "Texas" and "Cowboy" than the east side of the metro, it's just fun.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
Default coming to Fort Worth ?

I applaud your spirited initiative to reinvent yourselves as Texans, after Reading your posts I am amused at your dislike of our fellow U.S. citizens from the North East and this seems to be your sole deciding factor to seek out a new place to call home. I have been left in the dark as to why? You have left that piece of the puzzle out. Not one mention of their ? what ? what is it that you don't like about "those people"? Your references reek of some sort of cultural superiority, and the fact your a native Floridian that you have some God-given birthright to the spoils that Florida only reserves for native born. If you do your due diligence as a historical investigator as to how the industrial age created a migratory influx of people to the northeast from mostly eastern Europe you will see they brought their own cultural differences with them and assimilated into the American culture. Thus making the U.S. wonderfully diverse. As for Texas which I am a proud citizen It along with Florida are states that have interesting dichotomy lets look first at Texas it along with most of the west was Taken from Mexico through "manifest destiny" (research it) , Once again as I stated earlier I am a proud citizen of Texas I cannot change its past but I wont act like it never existed. As for Florida, long before you called it home , it was home to the Seminole Indians, for 10-12 thousand years. The expansion of the U.S. nearly wiped most of the tribe out or moved it. So your claim to Florida being just for people like you sounds really shallow. I would have much more respect if you would just come out and say I hate Yankees, they are loud , they think they can throw their money around and buy up everything, they smoke too much, they etc, etc, etc, so if moving to Texas will provide some sort of utopia for you, you have every right to come on over, but the truth is a lot of Texans are loud and obnoxious too, just as the rest of the country. One thing that Texans are proud of is freedom of thought and individual rights. Hopefully you will keep those two things in mind when thinking of all of us U.S. citizens. I hope you have success in your move . P.s. I have no political or moral axe to grind. I just want to see people love each other for are likeness and our differences. I'm a middle age white guy.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:59 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
OP: I'm a little confused here. You previously stated the 80% of transplants in Florida are from New York, Michigan, and New Jersey, and that you were trying to avoid them. In another post, you stated there was this great feud between Florida natives and transplants to Florida from the New England area. So, which is it?

People are moving to Fort Worth from everywhere. You might try looking west of Fort Worth in a place like Weathersford, as that area might have a higher percentage of native Texans.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 12-22-2013 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
As much as you dislike non-Floridian natives you may find it difficult to be comfortable in Ft. Worth and most of the outlying communities as you will be the non-native who wants to have it all - kids in goods school, successful business, be one of them, ... Maybe a little more tolerance towards others might make life easier. BTW - your accent will sound sooo funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth