Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,095 times

Advertisements

Alright, after months of frustrating searching, I need some help...

I'm looking for my first house somewhere near fort worth. I feel like the more I think about it the further away I get from a decision.... There is SO much to consider (schools, resale, location, growth, commute, crime, other houses in the area, etc.)

Basically I work downtown, and my budget is 180k-225k. I am pre-approved @ 230K

I have family in Mckinney so thats a consideration, and I also play hockey in Plano.

I'm pretty open as to where I move, I would just like to be within 45ish min of downtown Ft Worth.

So heres what I'm looking for:

.25 acre lot
no/minimal exterior siding
3 or 4 bedrooms
master on the 1st floor (if 2 story)
over 2000 sqft
built in 1995ish or later
decent schools
low crime
large kitchen
larger room sizes 11x11 or larger

is there anything close to what I'm wanting or am I going to have to make some sacrifices based on my budget?

Also, ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.... I am new at this house buying thing, so some advice from someone that has been through the process would be great.

Thank You SO much in advance for your help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 AM

293 posts, read 849,592 times
I would say that the factors most at odds are the size of the lot vs. the distance from downtown FW. For example, you could find a house that otherwise met your criteria (including size of the lot and house) if you went up near Pilot Point in Denton County, which would also put you closer to your family in McKinney and obligations in Plano. However, you'd be an hour in good traffic from downtown FW. There might be something in the Ponder area as well that would be a little closer to FW. I don't know much about the school districts in these areas, though. In general if you want to have a closer commute you're either going to need to increase your budget or be willing to compromise on some of the specs you want like the size of the yard or size of the bedrooms.

Edited to add: by no means am I saying you have to go to Denton County. You could also find what you're looking for if you go west or south of FW, but you'd be much further away from McKinney and Plano.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
The biggest problem is the lot size. Other than in Richland Hills, which meets almost none of your other criteria, you just aren't going to find that big of a lot for the budget you have to spend. If you could be happy with a standard size lot, that will open up a lot more possibilities.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The biggest problem is the lot size. Other than in Richland Hills, which meets almost none of your other criteria, you just aren't going to find that big of a lot for the budget you have to spend. If you could be happy with a standard size lot, that will open up a lot more possibilities.
Well where would you recommend sans the quarter acre?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlk28 View Post
Well where would you recommend sans the quarter acre?
Keller or North Richland Hills would be my first suggestions.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 PM

54 posts, read 108,989 times
move to monticello and play hockey in euless at the stars center. it's 35 minutes with zero traffic

Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 20,172 times
You can get that size and options in North FW/Keller (somwhere like Villages of Woodland Springs), which gives relatively easy access to major highways to the NE Dallas areas.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
will PM a realtor site that lets you search by lot sz and has good organization for DFW area
don't have to use the office for your search since most of their work is in Lantana (Dallas/Denton) area
just look at a map
you can't play hockey in Plano and live 45 min from FTW and you won't see your family in McKinney except on special occasions

traffic is horrible and commutes have gotten much longer in past 2 yrs
personally I think you would be hard pressed to get the sq ft you want at the lower end of your price and still have good ISD--

Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Roanoke = great schools and good housing stock

http://www.ashtonwoods.com/texas/dal...3#.UuE5dhxOIy4

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-185000-230000

Last edited by Squirl; 01-23-2014 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM

10 posts, read 20,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
will PM a realtor site that lets you search by lot sz and has good organization for DFW area
don't have to use the office for your search since most of their work is in Lantana (Dallas/Denton) area
just look at a map
you can't play hockey in Plano and live 45 min from FTW and you won't see your family in McKinney except on special occasions

traffic is horrible and commutes have gotten much longer in past 2 yrs
personally I think you would be hard pressed to get the sq ft you want at the lower end of your price and still have good ISD--
This is overly pessimistic. Anything near 170 or 114 has extremely easy access to Plano/McKinney. I make the drive very frequently. The traffic is fantastic now that the construction through Grapevine is finishing up. Sure it's a hike, but it's all just time, not sitting in traffic.

Roanoke, as mentioned, is another decent spot to look with your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth