U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,581 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good place for an adult to take western riding lessons? I'm on a budget so I cant spend enormous amounts of money on it (less than 40/hr would be great!), but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm also willing to work at the stables to pay for lessons if that is available anywhere. I'm in the mid cities but am willing to drive. Any advice/websites are helpful! Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM

58 posts, read 87,062 times
I ride at a barn that caters towards English riding so I can't make a suggestion for western lessons, but I can give you some tips about finding a barn as as Adult rider (I'm one, too!)

My main suggestion is to NOT buy a packaged lesson deal until you are 100% confident in your barn. I can tell you that finding a barn that treats you the same as their teenage, highly competitive (and somewhat spoiled) students can be tough. I'm still young (24), but I've ridden at places where I was often forgot about and put 2nd to the younger and competitive students. <-- This is the biggest issue I have had as an adult rider. It may not be something that is evident in the first week or two, but give it a month or so, and you'll know for sure.

Don't be afraid to do walk throughs and meet-and-greets with your prospective teacher. You're putting a lot of trust into that person and you need to feel comfortable.

Once you've decided to try a lesson, be sure their teaching style also works for you.

I'd say take 4-5 lessons before you commit with any package deals.

If you can't tell, I've been burned NUMEROUS amounts of times with terrible trainers. I've even had one that up and disappear on me! It took me a good year to find a barn that I LOVE and feel comfortable with here in DFW. Although she has many AMAZING and young riders that are there daily and show numerous times throughout the year, I feel 'important' when I'm there - even though I just show up once a week.

Try newhorse.com or maybe someone here will have a good suggestion for you.

Good Luck!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth