Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,339 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Ft worth. My wife and I are both medical professionals and we are looking into schools for our 12 y/o daughter. We are looking at both Ft Worth Country Day School and Trinity Valley. Our two sons are currently at Stanford and UCSD. We are looking for an academically challenging school which would prepare her for an Ivy League education should she apply and be accepted. Also, any information on areas to live would be beneficial as we are not real familiar with the area. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

254 posts, read 397,591 times
Those are certainly the two to consider. I would personally be inclined to opt for FW Country Day. It is considered by most to be the premier private school in the area and I've found their students to be a bit more well rounded than some of the alternatives. Both of the schools you are considering consistently send kids to the Ivies. I realize you are looking at private schools, but I would be remiss if I did not point out Paschall High School (near TCU) which is a public school in FWISD. Although it has a very wide collection of students from all socioeconomic groups, it also has one of the strongest AP programs in North Texas and most years, believe it or not, sends more students to the Ivies than any private school in either Fort Worth or Dallas. It's the kind of school that gives me a laugh anytime someone turns their nose up at FWISD under the reflexive assumption that the better schools are found in the exurbs.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,346,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFW View Post
Those are certainly the two to consider. I would personally be inclined to opt for FW Country Day. It is considered by most to be the premier private school in the area and I've found their students to be a bit more well rounded than some of the alternatives. Both of the schools you are considering consistently send kids to the Ivies. I realize you are looking at private schools, but I would be remiss if I did not point out Paschall High School (near TCU) which is a public school in FWISD. Although it has a very wide collection of students from all socioeconomic groups, it also has one of the strongest AP programs in North Texas and most years, believe it or not, sends more students to the Ivies than any private school in either Fort Worth or Dallas. It's the kind of school that gives me a laugh anytime someone turns their nose up at FWISD under the reflexive assumption that the better schools are found in the exurbs.
Yeah but your son/daughter will be attending school with gangbangers as well at Paschall.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM

254 posts, read 397,591 times
As I said... a much wider array of socioeconomic groups (from kids in poverty, working after school to support their families or getting into some trouble with the law to the sons and daughters of oil executives, university professors and doctors). Some might also find that preferable to "the bubble." I don't have any particular judgements one way or the other. It's all about trade offs and what you are wanting to get out of it.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 AM

156 posts, read 281,725 times
All the advice above is solid, as far as areas to live in, I am going to assume you have a higher budget so I would recommend looking in neighborhoods that feed into Tanglewood Elem such as River Hills (new homes), Tanglewood (older homes near the park), Overton West/Woods (new andolder homes near the Trinity Trails) and any other neighborhoods in that area. All these neighborhoods are very convenient to Country Day and the medical district. If you are set on private school look into Mira Vista, though the neighborhood is a bit more out of the way.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM

37,316 posts, read 59,398,936 times
In FTW ISD if you are not zoned into Paschall by location of home there is option of applying for inner-district transfer--
not that easy to get because VERY competitive for parents who want an academically excellent public education...
for the numbers Paschall consistently delivers high ratio of National Merit scholars--
more than Southlake Carroll

Paschall is basically a school within a school--kids that on the AP track and kids that aren't

Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 AM

54 posts, read 108,333 times
welcome you'll like fort worth's medical community. great medicine get's practiced here. i would look at living in mira vista and visiting both tvs and country day. they've within a mile of each other. country day has the more storied reputation but both will give you and your child what you're looking for.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,339 times
Thank you to all who have replied to my post. Is the Mira vista neighborhood family friendly or so exclusive the families do not interact with each other? We would want a neighborhood that has walking trails and bike friendly, etc.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 AM

54 posts, read 108,333 times
it's family oriented but there's an air of exclusivity. community pool, indoor tennis courts, private golf club and gated. it's really the only place i would live in southwest fort worth.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM

156 posts, read 281,725 times
The whole 76109 zip code is great and has tons of biking and walking trails. Look up the Trinity Trail System, it runs the entire area from Downtown to Benbrook. Mira Vista is more exclusive but it is not BY FAR the only place to live in SW Fort Worth at all. I have found people very welcoming and while lots of people are native Fort Worthians they haven't been exclusive. In fact many of the parents of my kids' class mates chose to come back after college so they can raise their families in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth