U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 01:47 PM

13 posts, read 25,482 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what areas of Fort Worth are believed to be the next targets of Urban Pioneers. What neighborhoods are going to change over the course of the next decade or so as people start to come in and snatch up homes and fix them up? I'm not talking about neighborhoods like Near Southside. The gentrification process is already in full force in neighborhoods like that. I'm talking about an area that is rough now but is destined to become the next big thing. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM

30 posts, read 61,490 times
Como

Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,178,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobalg View Post
Como
Great location.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:25 AM

54 posts, read 97,094 times
linwood.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 AM

12,197 posts, read 7,181,229 times
Arlington Heights area, to the north of I-30, between Merrick and Montgomery. There is some minor gentrification going on, but it mainly remains an area of smaller and older houses owned by older people. Perfect access to I-30, the Hulen corridor, etc.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 PM

165 posts, read 357,713 times
Samuels Avenue due northeast of downtown off Belknap Street has limited gentrification potential with two completed restorations of Victorian era homes at 731 and 760 Samuels. It is the oldest neighborhood in Fort Worth. About a half dozen or more additional Victorian or early 1900's homes remain in various conditions with two currently on the market. (769 and 823) However, Samuels is unique in that it is essentially two neighborhoods on the same street. The South end is all new apartments-with some still under construction, a Marriot brand extended stay, and an 8 story luxury condo tower. This brand new area (which replaced several dozen early cottages) stops abruptly at Pioneers Rest cemetery in the 600 block where the founders of Fort Worth are buried. (including the children of Fort Worth founder Maj. Ripley Arnold who died in 1850) If the north end of Samuels included restored existing historic homes as well as some sympathetic to the period in-fill new housing, that would be the ideal outcome but developers may decide to do differently. An announced in 2013 new apartment project has failed to materialize and some long promised retail services for the neighborhood remain unfulfilled. Given the small neighborhood's proximity to downtown, the nearby Tarrant County College campus and Trinity River Bluff-Downtown views, its unlikely to remain in flux for very long but developers seem to be taking a breather for now. It is probably past the urban pioneer stage which it certainly was when we moved to the neighborhood in 1990. Fort Worth unfortunately does not have any cohesive 19th century neighborhoods left but there are more Victorian era homes on Samuels Avenue than anywhere else in town. The large Fairmount-Southside neighborhood is essentially post-1900 homes with an isolated Victorian or two but it is one of the most intact historic neighborhoods in the city-one could argue it is gentrified but fixer-uppers from about 1907 and later can still be found here and there. I can recall when it was a very marginal neighborhood. To the east is the Hemphill Street corridor with a sprinkling of surviving early 20th century homes, some of mansion grade. However, commercial encroachment has greatly reduced the residential potential of that area. As for other neighborhoods, Como does seem like a possibility and maybe some parts of Northside near Grand Avenue.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 PM

641 posts, read 901,054 times
What about the corridor north and south of Berry between Hemphill and 8th Ave/Cleburne Rd? It seems close enough to Fairmount, Ryan Place, and the TCU area for some of that growth to move that way. There's already a mixed use project in the works for the lot just west of the railroad tracks at Berry and Cleburne.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 AM

165 posts, read 357,713 times
The area south of Berry and west of Hemphill probably has some gentrification potential, however, one must keep in mind many of the smaller cottages and Bungalows in the area are likely to appreciate only a modest amount. Many of the larger homes are rentals and the area has a large lower income Hispanic population. In recent years, some hopeful changes like the new urban size Walmart on the southwest corner of Hemphill and Berry are a step towards gentrification. I personally am not too fond of the term; I prefer revitalization instead. At its worst, gentrification implies economic displacement of a lower income demographic (often minority) by a higher income demographic. Rapidly appreciating property values virtually price the lower income residents out. Given the size and low density sprawl of DFW the high demand for urban housing here might be lower than in some older cities with dense cores of older housing stock. But Fort Worth does have neighborhoods in its inner suburbs which have seen property price appreciations over the years. Arlington Heights, Ridglea, TCU-Forest Park-Berkeley, and Mistletoe Heights come to mind. But even there the appreciation has been gradual over the years not a gold-rush type gentrification as seen in some major cities on the West and East Coasts. Dallas has seen more of the classic gentrification in upscale neighborhoods via the teardown phenomenon. Smaller original but higher quality homes are bought and demolished so that a much larger mansion grade home can take its place. I'm not aware of that happening in Fort Worth except on a very small scale.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 PM

192 posts, read 154,754 times
In my opinion, the White Settlement Road corridor from roughly University Drive to Henderson Street will undergo gentrification soon. With the West 7th developments to the south, along with the Panther Island project east of the railroad tracks, development pressure could increase in the industrial areas along White Settlement Road north to the West Fork Trinity River. In particular, I feel that a demand for more affordable (but nice) condos, apartments, and houses than those offered on West 7th or Panther Island could fuel development on White Settlement Road, especially since today's young people tend to prefer walkable, urban living over suburban living.

I also see the possibility for gentrification further west along White Settlement Road, just south of River Oaks and west of Castleberry High School. The Riverbend neighborhood south of White Settlement Road has a scenic setting with the river and views of the wooded bluffs on the opposite (south) bank, along with direct access to the Trinity Trails. With more affluent neighborhoods on the opposite bank of the river (the gated community in the western portion of Westworth Village and Westover Hills to the west, and Rivercrest, Monticello, and Crestwood to the south and east), I feel that the Riverbend area could see some nicer homes, along with apartments and small condos, and perhaps an urban village-type setting along White Settlement Road.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
JJG

13,579 posts, read 20,425,695 times
Here ya go...

Urban Villages | City of Fort Worth, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth