Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,105 times

Advertisements

Hi!

After trolling the Fort Worth/Dallas forums for a while for advice on great neighborhoods I figured it might be easier just to post my question here and get some direct advice!

The situation: my husband and I live in Dallas in an apartment near the Knox-Henderson area and we LOVE it. I myself have lived in this area for around 8 years and he moved in a couple of years ago (from Fort Worth). We have been slowly saving money to purchase our first home so I have been researching the best neighborhoods for us- when SURPRISE we found out we were pregnant! The little guy is due in August.

Some of the baby expenses have cut into our house-buying savings, and we figured it was probably smart to tackle one major life change at a time, so we do plan to just stay in the apartment with the newborn for a few months. However, I really would like to find a great home for us by the end of the year!

My husband works in East Fort Worth right off of I30 (his commute is currently around only 25 minutes on a good day from Knox/Henderson) and I work in Downtown Dallas so I'd love to find something quasi convenient for both of us- although I am more flexible to switching jobs eventually than he would be (it would also be easier for me to job switch or potentially just work from home if needed). Obviously now with the child coming we are also concerned with schools and I personally would love to find a great public school. We like older houses (pre 1970 if possible) with some character but we aren't looking for anything huge- 3 bedrooms are fine! We'd love to stay within a convenient driving distance to local restaurants/shopping and museums as well. I'd LOVE to nail this decision and find a great neighborhood that will stay that way for many years so that our child (and future children) will be able to stay in the same school system through high school. I know a lot of times on these boards when you start talking about schools people point to the northern suburbs but I have a lot of friends who live that way and whenever we visit it just doesn't feel like it's where we should be... so I'm reaching out for ideas from the experts! I'm posting this in the Fort Worth forum because I do think we are probably going to end up on that side of the metroplex given how tied my husband is to his job, and my job flexibility. I think we might be open to ideas on the east side though if they were close to I30. Also- we'd like to keep the budget to no more than around $225k!

I know I am planning early but I'd love to go drive around and get to know a few neighborhoods so we can really nail down where we are targeting before we actually begin to actively look for a house. Given my growing belly I'm thinking we should do our research now rather than after the baby arrives.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome- thanks so much in advance!

AMB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
If you are open to private schools there are tons of options for affordable older homes all along the I-30 corridor from Dallas thru to N. Arlington.

However, if you are going for public schools, I suggest you confine your search to HEB ISD. A very few sections in Hurst and Euless are also in the Grapevine/Colleyville ISD and that is a really strong school district. You have enough time to focus on those areas and grab one of those houses! That means settling in the parts of Hurst, Euless or Bedford that are easy access to I-30. There are some cute neighborhoods there. Some listings, most have contracts because this has become a hot area, just to give you drive-by destinations:

720 Ridgewood Cir, Hurst, TX 76054 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

312 Marseille Dr, Hurst, TX 76054 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1313 Briarhaven Dr, Bedford, TX 76021 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

805 Chaparral Ct, Bedford, TX 76022 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1207 Driftwood Dr, Euless, TX 76040 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
since you have time, keep a keen eye on Colleyville too. Unlikely you will find something in your price range, but keep it on your radar

Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
its easier to move with baby in belly than after baby is out

Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,105 times
I know in theory it would be easier to move now but I'd really like to make sure our financial situation is completely stable before we commit to a house. It's not ideal but I think it's the decision we have landed on.

Thanks for the links and info!

Also, random side-question, do you happen to know if any of these neighborhoods have sidewalks? I'm surprised at how many in the DFW area don't - and taking my dog for long walks is really my favorite form of exercise so that would be ideal!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
re: sidewalks.
If you look at the listing photos in realtor.com , you can go to the maps and click on street views and you can use google earth, too before driving around.

In the end, "feet on the ground" is best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth