Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

Back in the late 60s we would go downtown and park in the Leonard's parking lot, ride the subway and shop.

I loved the Leonard's basement. I could always find some great bargains. We'd stroll down to Edison's and find some more great deals. Monnig's had a restaurant with an old-timey counter where we would have tuna sandwiches. There were hooks under the counter where we could hang our purses. Monnig's vanilla shakes were the best in town.

The place I loved the best was a little hamburger joint. It had no seating that I can recall. I don't think customers went it at all. It was on a corner and had two open windows, one on each street at the corner. We'd order the hamburgers at the windows. They cost 25 cents. I remember that the onions were cooked on the grill with lots of butter and mustard. The fragrance raced up and down the street.

To this day I still consider those burgers to be the best I have ever eaten.

Does anyone else remember them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I don't remember the hamburger joint, but I surely do have fond memories of Leonard's "ToyLand" in their basement in the Christmas season! I miss the subway (and the big parking lot!).

Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't remember the hamburger joint, but I surely do have fond memories of Leonard's "ToyLand" in their basement in the Christmas season! I miss the subway (and the big parking lot!).
I miss the subway, too. The parking lot was great. Through the years I always used it when I was on jury duty. I was called for jury duty in October and was amazed at the lack of parking. I ended up parking on the roof of the parking garage next to the county courts building. Cost me $15 for the day but I didn't mind....except there was no elevator. LOL. Boy, I am really spoiled.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Yeah, I used the fondly remembered parking lot for jury duty too. When I have to do it now, I just park at one of the 10-hour meters west of the public library down near Henderson, on 2nd Street or somewhere near there. I don't see why the city shouldn't make it easy for people called for jury duty to park. I've heard bad things about cars being broken into where they run the shuttle from, at the LaGrave Field parking lot. Besides, that's just too durn far away.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Back in the late 60s we would go downtown and park in the Leonard's parking lot, ride the subway and shop.

I loved the Leonard's basement. I could always find some great bargains. We'd stroll down to Edison's and find some more great deals. Monnig's had a restaurant with an old-timey counter where we would have tuna sandwiches. There were hooks under the counter where we could hang our purses. Monnig's vanilla shakes were the best in town.

The place I loved the best was a little hamburger joint. It had no seating that I can recall. I don't think customers went it at all. It was on a corner and had two open windows, one on each street at the corner. We'd order the hamburgers at the windows. They cost 25 cents. I remember that the onions were cooked on the grill with lots of butter and mustard. The fragrance raced up and down the street.

To this day I still consider those burgers to be the best I have ever eaten.

Does anyone else remember them?
Yes, I do. It was called Famous Hamburgers. I loved that place. We would come out of Leonards, cross the street and go in Stripling's, walk straight thru; come out the back side of Stripling's and cross the street to get to famous. Famous also had Fish Sanwiches. Fried fish on a bun with onions and mustard. It was good also but the burgers were the best.

Another place that had wonderfull burgers was on Miller avenue, 1 block south of berry street. It was called Whopper burger.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
So tell me more about the subway...where did it take you?...What happen to it?...Whats in its place now....This is very interesting to me does anyone have pictures??

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
Ahhh......wish I could have seen this! Photos, anyone?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Funny that I do not recall Famous Burgers. I went to another place (I think called Burger and Shake, not related to the national franchise) on 7th street.

Ah! 7th street was golden back then! Three movie theaters (the Worth, the Hollywood, and, further east on 7th, the Palace), and also a great 'joke shop' where youngsters like me could buy fake vomit, x-rays glasses, magic tricks, etc.

Also, the Piccadilly cafeteria,

One of the greatest websites ever:

Fort Worth...The Way We Were

One can spend hours looking at the way it was.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
I remember the subway in the 80's. We used to go ice skating at the Tandy Center. Since I was little at the time, it was such a big deal to me. I sure wish they hadn't closed it down.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,610 times
You can visit the M&O Restaurant/Hamburgers at Weisenberger and Carroll Street in the shadows of Montgomery Ward Plaza to see the Leonard's Museum. It's free and the restaurant is an added bonus of good hamburgers, etc. Polly Leonard who owns the museum still has one of the subway cars and still trying to find a place to display it for everyone to enjoy. Her collection of Leonard's memorabilia is amazing and will bring back a lot of happy memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth