Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM

186 posts, read 247,444 times

Advertisements

In terms of rentals : can I get 2 BR house in a nice walkable area in range of $1000 ?

If I considered buying : can I find a good 2 br house in range of 150 K ?

Safety : is it in general more safe than Dallas

Affordability : which cities is more affordable generally ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
In terms of rentals : can I get 2 BR house in a nice walkable area in range of $1000 ?

If I considered buying : can I find a good 2 br house in range of 150 K ?

Safety : is it in general more safe than Dallas

Affordability : which cities is more affordable generally ?
There's only a handful of walkable safe areas in both cities. Dallas is too expensive you won't be able to find a house in a walkable neighborhood in that price range. Downtown Fort Worth and the Cultural District/West 7th development are out of your price range.

The near southside (76104) might work, but an actual house will be hard to find. Check craigslist and padmapper for rentals there.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,179 times
agree with RonnieinDallas that you need a bigger budget to buy in either area, esp if you want walkable. Renting is going to be tough in FW also if you want safe and walkable honestly. Someone more familiar with Dallas rentals can hopefully advise you as to that situation. In both cities, the fact that you are going for a 2bed is working in your favor price wise rather than 3 bed, obviously.If you are willing to use an apartment, I would say you can probably do pretty well in certain areas in FW but not sure how walkable they will be. As to safety, that is just totally dependent on where specifically. There are safe and unsafe areas in both cities. I'm not someone who walks around feeling particularly "unsafe" in the world so I'm not a good one to ask anyway. Affordability is prob pretty close too honestly. Best of luck!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 AM

so if discarded walkable / nicest place condition .. is $1000 / month sufficient to rent 2 BR
And would 150 k be sufficient to buy a house .. in any area that is just ok ( not bad /crime ridden )

Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
You might have a tough time finding a 2 bedroom house (3 bedrooms is the standard here) but I would think that would be sufficient to rent one if you found it. Yes, you can buy a house for $150k, but it is going to be small, older, and not in a trendy area, and it might need some work.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 AM

Yes, if you eliminate the walkable item from your list you might have a better shot at finding a safe town home or house to rent or buy. Dallas has more 2 bedroom homes. Even in the older parts of FW they tend to be 3 beds. But- maybe a townhouse?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
you can check lot of MLS sites in either town for your criteria points for house to buy--
once u see something you think is possible then check crimemap on line for details as to "safety"

most of any lower priced home area are going to have more crime than higher $$ homes
just fact of life
but most crime in FTW is personal property--theft/burglary/car breakins vs assault/murder
and the same is probably true of Dallas

just know that the RE market in both towns--especially in some areas--is red hot and there is high level of competition -
homes are going for more than list in some cases

Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM

would Arlington be a better option to buy or rent on that budget ? any other suggestions for any place served by DART and is affordable , safe and have a muslim / arab community

Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM

If I'm not mistaken, there is a Muslim/Arab presence in Arlington. You might try contacting a mosque for suggestions as to housing/proximity to transit. I lived in Arlington for a short time but it's been 14 years ago now, and wasn't using transit, so I can't speak to that. There might be some kind of walkableish areas closer to UTA. Are you moving for a job or just a change of scenery/future prospects?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Arlington has started a route into FTW and maybe into Dallas but has no public transit per se--
you can't catch a bus to go someplace IN Arlington--
FTW has public transit but it is not a great system
check the website for both Dallas and FTW to see how well you think it works if you are familiar with metro systems...

if that is a big factor in your decision then Dallas probably as the better metro system and it does do into some areas of Las Colinas (Irving) and Plano and into Garland I believe

don't know anything about the ethnic community aspect except there seem to be Muslims in almost any community in NTexas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth