Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 PM

317 posts, read 840,503 times

Advertisements

I've been job hunting mainly in the Dallas and Richardson area. After doing all my research, I felt comfortable with Dallas, in terms of cost, convenience of various shops, choice of apartments, etc etc, that I thought I would be dead set on Dallas.

However, I just received an opportunity to interview for a position in Fort Worth, and I started to be curious about living in Fort Worth. Assuming I get this job, I would be able to live in more of an urban district in Fort Worth (i,e 1000 to 12000 apartment), in the downtown area.

How is the downtown area of fort worth compared to Dallas Downtown? Other sources say that Fort worth is more 'texan' than Dallas. What does that mean exactly? For us, we are not looking for Manhattan style downtown, nor are we looking for Clubs and Bars; but we are looking for coffee shops, boutiques, diverse restaurants, and more of a 'cool, modern' environment. Other sources also say that Fort Worth downtown is "nicer" than dallas. Again, what does that mean? Is it cleaner? safer?

What about the mass transit? From what I can tell, there is the TRE which goes to the airport and Dallas. What about the busses? Are there enough to cover the whole area that I won't need to drive if I work and live in downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
The T is Fort Worth's bus system. The T | Fort Worth Transportation Authority | Fort Worth, TX > Home
Trinity Railway Express is the rail system between Fort Worth and Dallas. http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html

Most people who love downtown walk to work. Downtown is small enough that this isn't a problem unless the weather is awful. The only issue you will have if you try to live without a car is that there is not a big grocery store downtown. The closest one is Target in Montgomery Plaza across the river. You will have a long ride if you try to take the bus anywhere else in town, though. IMHO, Fort Worth's downtown is much cleaner and safer, and also more alive after 5 PM than Dallas.

Yes, there is some boutique shopping and nice restaurants downtown, mostly around the Sundance Square area.
Sundance Square - Located in the Heart of Downtown Fort Worth

Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 AM

70 posts, read 111,465 times
transit is practically non-existant in fort worth. You need a car. If you live directly in downtown fort worth, its possible, but you will be stuck there when everyone is driving around and talking about what they did this past weekend. nightlife is basically one block (worse than nashville) and it looks lousy in fort worth. TRE isn't that great. Limited schedule and doesn't run sundays.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:57 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmunk View Post
transit is practically non-existant in fort worth. You need a car. If you live directly in downtown fort worth, its possible, but you will be stuck there when everyone is driving around and talking about what they did this past weekend. nightlife is basically one block (worse than nashville) and it looks lousy in fort worth. TRE isn't that great. Limited schedule and doesn't run sundays.

Nightlife isn't just reduced to Sundance Square. There's West 7th, there's the Stockyards/Billy Bob's, the TCU area, and the Near Southside.

Now I can't disagree too much on public transportation, as that's one of this city's biggest flaws. We have a subpar bus system, the TRE only runs from downtown Fort Worth to Downtown Dallas, and our other Commuter Line is still in plans, not ready until around 2017 at the earliest.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:42 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Not trying to sound pragmatic - no car in Texas is to the best of my experience impossible unless you have good friends.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
I've been job hunting mainly in the Dallas and Richardson area. After doing all my research, I felt comfortable with Dallas, in terms of cost, convenience of various shops, choice of apartments, etc etc, that I thought I would be dead set on Dallas.

However, I just received an opportunity to interview for a position in Fort Worth, and I started to be curious about living in Fort Worth. Assuming I get this job, I would be able to live in more of an urban district in Fort Worth (i,e 1000 to 12000 apartment), in the downtown area.

How is the downtown area of fort worth compared to Dallas Downtown? Other sources say that Fort worth is more 'texan' than Dallas. What does that mean exactly? For us, we are not looking for Manhattan style downtown, nor are we looking for Clubs and Bars; but we are looking for coffee shops, boutiques, diverse restaurants, and more of a 'cool, modern' environment. Other sources also say that Fort Worth downtown is "nicer" than dallas. Again, what does that mean? Is it cleaner? safer?

What about the mass transit? From what I can tell, there is the TRE which goes to the airport and Dallas. What about the busses? Are there enough to cover the whole area that I won't need to drive if I work and live in downtown?
Fort Worth's downtown is really agreeable and seems to be heading in a very positive direction. As I understand it, one family (Bass) has essentially resurrected it from squalor and has made it what it is today. This has had many positive results--safety, "flow," Sundance Square (a pedestrian based central plaza), etc.. Some people complain that it has been overly sanitized; that compared to other urban areas it feels a bit disneyfied, lacking vibrancy, variety, etc.

Search the TX forum for a thread on Texas cities and their downtowns; you'll see that FW fairs quite well.

As for living here without a car? Pretty tough to do. I know families that use just one car, primarily using bikes to commute to work, but the mass transit here is very poor. TX loves its automobiles and petrol.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Public Transportation does exist, but expanding it is a low priority. For Tarrant County they were going to build TEX Rail and there was going to be a commuter rail line to Johnson County. This will not happen for years.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Public Transportation does exist, but expanding it is a low priority. For Tarrant County they are going to build TEX Rail and there was going to be a commuter rail line to Johnson County. This will not happen for years.
Commuter line to Johnson County?

When did you hear that?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Hear that train comin

Fate of commuter rail line depends on legislature » Cleburne Times-Review, Cleburne, TX

http://www.crowleystar.net/ci_20086776

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/thorough...ohnsonCoTP.pdf

It has been planned for years. And it will probably still be "planned" for many more years. Perhaps after TEX Rail has completed, then they will begin construction.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Hear that train comin

Fate of commuter rail line depends on legislature » Cleburne Times-Review, Cleburne, TX

Rail line faces myriad issues - The Crowley Star - Crowley, Texas

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/thorough...ohnsonCoTP.pdf

It has been planned for years. And it will probably still be "planned" for many more years. Perhaps after TEX Rail has completed, then they will begin construction.
Well, considering that we just finished a TOLLWAY from downtown to Cleburne, I'm more than positive that it won't be coming any time soon.

The city's biggest priority right now, it seems, is the TEX. It's been delayed and was supposed to be up and running 2 years from now. Now it's 2018 and shortened to just downtown-to-DFW Intenational because The T f***ed it up, as usual.

Honestly, I don't see any lines going to or from Cleburne until at least a decade from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth