Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 841 times

Advertisements

We moved here from a non-emissions county about a year ago and now our truck is due for inspection. It's an '01, but it's kind of a hand-me-down. My husband's older brother drove it for a while and did something to it to where the check engine light won't go off (or maybe it's the fact that the A/C needs to be replaced) and the interior lights don't work either. Plus, they bought it from a small town car lot, I'm pretty sure something's been done to the exhaust. It's always been loud, but they got it that way. I know it has a catalytic converter because we had to replace it a while back. I've been told once before that it doesn't have a muffler, but I'm pretty sure that guy just didn't know how to drive a stick so he made up some excuse. I've never had any other problems. I'm not sure if it will even pass an emissions test and not sure where to go. Being out $40 for not passing would not be ok, and I'm jut not sure what to do. Anyone have any ideas or advice? I live in South Fort Worth if anyone knows knows somewhere that might be able to check it out before I shell out for it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,803 times
Usually A/C will not cause a Check Engine light.

I believe AutoZone will connect a code scanner to it and tell you what error condition is causing the check engine light for free. At least, they used to...and other places might too.

So see what is causing the CEL first.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times
Remember: If it doesn't pass, you can usually fix the issues and have it re-inspected for free within a certain time (10 days, 2 weeks?). I would just call a few places that do inspections (Kwik Kar locations are usually pretty reputable) and ask them how they can help. They might tell you they'll look at it without doing the inspection or they might recommend doing the full inspection so you don't miss anything. The check engine light will definitely keep it from passing, but there might be a way to get it to temporarily clear without major repairs. The exhaust system will just depend on what's been done. There are ways to make it loud that are legal, but if the muffler is missing, that's probably a deal breaker.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:12 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Front oxygen sensor, gas cap (busted seal), ...
Have someone at Autozone read the codes for you.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:19 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Replace the gas cap, have Auto Zone or Oreilly read the codes, then clear them. Gas cap can often be the culprit.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Replace the gas cap, have Auto Zone or Oreilly read the codes, then clear them. Gas cap can often be the culprit.
It sure can. I found that out with a Toyota I had. Light came on an drove me nuts. Finally, I was told to make sure to "click" the cap three times before shutting the cover. Worked like a charm.

I use JiffyLube for inspections in the Ft. Worth/Arlington area. They do a good job and talk to me like I am an adult and take the time to carefully explain things to a non-car-speaking person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: