U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:10 PM

24 posts, read 97,415 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer?
Thom Thumb
Kroeger
Albertsons
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 PM

126 posts, read 377,606 times
My favorite is Roy Pope on Merrick on the west side. It's locally owned since the 30's and everyone there knows you by name. But of the one's above i like Tom Thumb.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM

301 posts, read 996,709 times
I prefer Kroger. The stores are always clean, their food is not overpriced like Tom Thumb and they have great buys on their steaks and chicken. I am not a huge bargain shopper by any means, but I refuse to pay twice the amt just to shop in one store. Almost everything is more expensive in Tom Thumb, and their meat is so overpriced.

Just my opinion.

I havent been to an Albertsons since we moved here, so I am not sure. I know in Florida they all seemed so dirty, so we refused to shop there. Maybe they arent like that here, I dont know.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:47 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,063,282 times
We have an Albertson's close to us that we go to. Its okay, but it is the closest to me. I have ventured into to both Kroger and Tom Thumb and they both seemed nicer with better fruit and veggie selection.

I know a lot of people that prefer shopping at Target and Walmart. I really like Central Market for special and unique items as well.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 AM

52 posts, read 171,602 times
I used to go to Albertsons. Over the past few years, customer service is nonexistent. Now I go to Kroger. I have to admit I've always like Albertsons meat section best. I'm not close to a Central Market but do go to Market Street in Colleyville for special things.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 AM

133 posts, read 532,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh1 View Post
My favorite is Roy Pope on Merrick on the west side. It's locally owned since the 30's and everyone there knows you by name. But of the one's above i like Tom Thumb.
Is that Roy Pope store in a more residential area? Like right in the middle of a neighborhood? A while back I was in a car with a friend and I noticed a neighborhood grocer off a street just north of Border's bookstore on Hulen St. and thought it looked really nice. Oh, how I'd love to have a nice family-owned grocery store like that around the corner from where I live. The closest grocery store to me is Fiesta, which sucks because their frozen foods aren't always frozen and their dairy products aren't always kept cold. The next closest store is Albertson's by TCU, and I hate having to drive over there just to get a couple of frozen pizzas.

Of all the big grocers I prefer Kroger, but it's the furthest one from where I live.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 AM

24 posts, read 97,415 times
I've never heard of central Market. Is it like Whole Foods?

Old 12-29-2007, 11:11 AM

4,830 posts, read 6,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMove07 View Post
It is the Disneyland of grocery stores. It is a little pricey (not for me) but if you want selection, top quality and are more than willing to pay for it it is heaven.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,063,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMove07 View Post
Kinda, but Whole Foods is more "organic" in feel. Central Market is more gourmet, they have cooking classes, live music on Fridays. Their wine, meat and cheese sections are really very comprehensive. They do have some out of the normal brands and trend things that aren't available in other grocery stores. There is one in Southlake off of Southlake Blvd and 114 and one on Hulen Street off of I-30.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:27 PM

3,087 posts, read 7,007,430 times
Out of those 3 I only shop at Kroger on the occasion of certain things on sale. There is not a Tom Thumb close at all and both Kroger and Albertsons are so much higher priced day in and day out than I want to pay. The newer ones are fairly well kept, however the older stores of all 3 tend to be dark and dingy.

I do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart or Sam's. Sam's typically has a much better meat selection at better prices than any of those listed.

There isn't a Market Street or Whole Foods or Central Market close either, however price is a big deal and I couldn't shop there on a regular basis anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth