Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 41,625 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some insight about Granbury? We live upstate NY and are moving the end of November. What areas are nice, which to avoid? We are looking to rent until we get a feel for the area. We've found a couple of apartment complexes online, Charterhouse at Lake Pointe, Lakeside Apartments, Lake Shore Apartments. Anyone know anything about these? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 04:48 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
We spent some time in Granbury. Cute little town square but really nothing to do there unless you live on the lake and go boating. B-O-R-I-N-G.....

Old 10-04-2014, 06:44 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Get something on Lake Granbury. Otherwise, Granbury is small, so just decide what you want in a home, price, etc and go looking.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:31 AM

58 posts, read 207,293 times
Lake Granbury is in crisis mode due to drought. Lake levels may never return to their previous levels. Many houses that were lakefront no longer are. The good news is, because of all this, all of Granbury (and especially lakefront) is very affordable right now.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgeo563 View Post
Can anyone give me some insight about Granbury? We live upstate NY and are moving the end of November. What areas are nice, which to avoid? We are looking to rent until we get a feel for the area. We've found a couple of apartment complexes online, Charterhouse at Lake Pointe, Lakeside Apartments, Lake Shore Apartments. Anyone know anything about these? Thanks.
I know I'm a little late to this question but if you're still looking at living in the Granbury area I strongly recommend to look at Glen Rose and it's community. (Aledo and Willow Park also have some high end areas and may be worth looking into). It is wise to rent an apartment first before making a commitment and buying anything. If you're looking for upscale/nice but with HOA restrictions, try Pecan Plantation or DeCordova Bend or north of town Silverado (will have acreage). In your shoes I would call Hood Co Sheriff and ask which areas to avoid in terms of crime. It's all over, even the upscale communities have it. It's more prevalent in OTS and Indian Harbor and Mitchell Bend but no means exclusive to those areas. The lake is extremely low due to political maneuvering by various groups. The mayor at the time many years ago sold water to a private firm (details escape me right now) leaving the lake high and dry. Do not purchase waterfront unless your filthy rich (taxes). You will not have the quality of restaurants in Granbury that you are used to. Glen Rose doesn't have the shopping that Granbury has but is prettier with less crime.

Granbury has a strong retirement community, many various clubs and organizations to join and have fun meeting new people, offers activities on the square most weekends, but the lake is terrible and I don't see a foreseeable change in that. You might look at savelakegranbury dot com for more info. So if you're looking at moving here for fishing I suggest looking elsewhere. If you're moving here for social reasons, then it's a fun and busy community. Many people who live here moved here from somewhere else and for that reason you don't normally get the small town snobbishness you see in small towns sometimes. For the most part people are welcoming and go with the flow. If you research the May 2013 tornado that ripped through Granbury you will see that the community came together in a very fast, passionate and strongly committed way to help the tornado survivors.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,162 times
My husband and I moved to Glen Rose two years ago from the Conroe area. We LOVE Glen Rose. It is the nicest little town we have ever lived in. Most everyone is friendly and it is a safe little place to live. It is located about 15 minutes from Granbury but we don't have the traffic and if you really want to go into the "big city" Fort Worth and Dallas are both less than an hour away.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
since you seem to know nothing about this area, why did you chose it to retire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth