Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Keller View Post
I guess I just worked at a school that took accreditation very seriously. We prepped for months straight before our visit from them and constantly had meetings to assure that all aspects of our center were meeting the expectations of NAEYC.

It is very true though that many preschools are just a stepping stone for their employees while finishing school to be an elementary teacher.

In general, I would see brand new/expensive equipment and facilities as a red flag. If they are spending all of their money on that... how much is left to hire high quality teachers for your children?
I hope I don't offend anyone. Being a mom and former preschool teacher, it's just a very passionate subject for me
I'm guessing you are refering to my remark about it being basically simple if you understand it well? The key is understanding it. If you don't have that knowledge then it does take long hours and hard work.

The first time we went through acreditation we were changing our whole center from the previously acceptable way of doing things to the 'newer' way and it indeed was a complex change. However, the second time we went through it was a breeze since we were already at that level. This was many years ago when NAEYC was first beginning it's focus on accreditation. Even the mentors were sometimes unsure of what certain expectations translated into, so that gave us many a wrong turn to get where we needed to be at the time. Once we understood the process as a whole and the philosophy behind it all, no problems at all. It's very much a life style change and once you make it through the change, it's very simple to maintain.

I understand where many people take issue with it and making if far more difficult than it really is. We lost a long term very good staff during that time as she disagreed with the philosophy completely.

For example, one thing expected was to serve lunch family style - meaning serving food in bowls and letting chidlren serve themselves from the bowl. Previously children were given sectioned plates with set amounts of food already served up. To her that was a nightmare. Yet like any other lifestyle change, once we got used to it we had children as young as 18 months able to serve themselves some things and 2 year old pouring their own milk. (with tiny pitchers of course)

She quit soon after the transition began and a few years later had no choice but to adapt to those very same changes since it was becoming prevalent in the profession. Doing so, she admitted it really did make her job easier doing those things she had objected so heavily to before.

We hired another gal that came from Primrose who also, as it turns out, thought quite differently than how we did things under accreditation. She even came in and observed for 4 hours prior to being hired, so that she saw how it all worked. Yet she only made it through half of a day before she walked out on us. Her 'issue' was that we were denying snack to kids. Um, no, not even close. We had open 'center' time in which they could choose among all the choices in the room, including snack. All things were available to the kids for that hour or so, and they could choose when and where to go. At the snack table there were enough seats for 6 kids at a time and if it was full they waited until one became available - a routine they all were used to doing. So when a child didn't go straight to snack and then decided they wanted it right then....and the table was full.....they got upset that they had to wait a few minutes until a space was empty. She considered that denying a child snack. No, that's learning to take turns, be patient and natural consequences for choosing to go elsewhere first. Of course she got her snack, just a few minutes later than when she wanted it.

She also felt we should force all children to do art whether they wanted to do so or not, which went against the philosophy. All kids are encouraged, but not required to participate in all centers.

She neither understood nor agreed with the philosophy in general. So if you have a center facing that from many staff, then it will certainly be difficult to achieve without some very hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
If I were you I would look for an in-home daycare provider especially for an infant. Check out your HOA's site if they have one, many people advertise through these sites. I live in Crawford Farm and I think there are a few people advertising on our HOA site.
When you check the TDPRS website you can also find in home providers there. If a provider isn't listed there then they are either exempt from the requirements, or operating against the state licensing law.

I do home care at this time, but am exempt from having to be on their site, as the children I care for are related to me.

Also, craigslist and the Star-Telegram can be helpful sometimes.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
When you check the TDPRS website you can also find in home providers there. If a provider isn't listed there then they are either exempt from the requirements, or operating against the state licensing law.

I do home care at this time, but am exempt from having to be on their site, as the children I care for are related to me.

Also, craigslist and the Star-Telegram can be helpful sometimes.
When we lived in CA my wife was a licensed day care provider for over 25 years. The money is very good in CA $250 per week per child. She was licensed for up to 8 children. One reason we moved here was so that she would not need to work but would be able to choose to if she wanted to. She has 2 slipped disks in her back from all the years of lifting children. She will probably be taking care of our soon to be granddaughter if my daughter decides to go back to work some day but for now it is a thing of the past.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM

43 posts, read 537,858 times
Three of my neighbors take their children to Children's Lighthouse-Heritage which is off of Shiver (inbetween N. Beach and Ray White). They all seem to like it and one of them has an infant (almost 6 mo old now but the child started going there as a newborn). Hope this helps you with your search!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 AM

20 posts, read 70,585 times
Default Starting a home daycare

Hi my name is emma, im originally from england ive been in the u.s for about 3 years now, and ive just moved to texas with my husband and 19 month old, we are moving into the haslet/keller area, and im looking into starting a home daycare, i will only be caring for a small number of children at first. I know most people want a daycare that has been around for years and has a good rating but if anyone is interested please let me know, everyone needs a chance, i will offer low rates to the parents that do give a newcomer a chance and will also lock in those rates once i expand. I am trying to have things ready by may 08.
feel free to email me with any questions at emwheeless@hotmail.com
thankyou

Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,005 times
Default Stepping Stones Academy

Hi, I read your post and wanted to offer a suggestion.
My son has been attending Stepping Stones Academy for several years. I have visited and interviewed many schools around the area (Children's Lighthouse, LaPetite, Primrose (Heritage), Kids R Kids, Children's Courtyard (Westport Pkwy) & Premier Academy) and Stepping Stones is by far the best program around. They do not have school-aged children (they do offer private K) which means no buses or pick-ups from elem schools. I believe they start at 6 weeks up through K.

We previously attended one of the school's listed above for 3 months and I was disappointed with their level of curriculum. Stepping Stones offers the A-beka curriculum & has a wonderful computer lab, play equipment and is one of the cleanest facilities around! In the previous school advancement to a different class was based solely on age---let's face it, kids mature and develop at different rates and I was pleased that Stepping Stones administrative staff and teachers were very knowledgeable and cohesive to my son's academic needs.

Check it out for yourself!
[URL="http://www.thesteppingstonesacademy.com"]Stepping Stones Academy[/URL]

Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 AM

34 posts, read 156,129 times
Default Stepping Stones and Caminito Spanish School in Keller

My daughters attended Stepping Stones on Alta Vista -- they have a very good facility, safe, clean and an excellent curriculum.

Also, my girls attend the Spanish Immersion school on Main Street in Keller -- Caminito Spanish School - this may be a good option when your infant is a preschooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth