U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 AM

22 posts, read 104,803 times

Advertisements

I came down last week for job interviews and it looks like I may be getting a job in Dallas, I do not want to live in Dallas though. I like Fort Worth the best but I want to know which is the best area in Fort Worth, since it is a big city. The first time I came down there was an area with a mall, I think it was Ridgmar, but I am not sure and there was a ton of shopping and eating around it, but I can not remember if it was N,S,E or W. I also like Burleson and Mansfield. I am looking to buy a house from the 100-116,000 range, I want something newer, and in a family friendly area, since I plan to have kids. I am not a fan of huge HOA dues, so not being in a big subdivsion does not bother me. If anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I am trying to really get focussed on a specific area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM

307 posts, read 1,108,478 times
FW is very difficult to divide that way. It's huge and spreads it's wings across Tarrant County. One minute you're in a really nice area then it turns ghetto in seconds. There are isolated areas that are good and not so good all over.

But generally, and this is very general, I mean no offense to the exceptions :-) I think you might fit it in a nutshell like this.....

Southwest and West is the better concentration of the nicer or newer areas. Ridgmar's in the west, like you mentioned. White Settlement is a nearby little town that's nice. That's going to be a long drive to Dallas though.

Central west is mixed, it's urban but mostly pretty livable. TCU, museums, zoo area....

Eastside is considered the 'bad' part. With that said there's very nice neighborhoods in the far east and scattered about, mixed with older ones as well. You could very roughly define it by 30N-35W-20S-820E, give or take some neighborhoods.

The northeast area, east of 35 into Haltom are kinda older. I know people with money who choose to live there for various reasons. You can get good deals there for older homes but it's tricky to narrow down where.

Southside is very mixed. Much of it's older along I20. Southeast of 35 might be avoidable. West of 35, the further west and south the better. South is one of those areas I mentioned about good-bad-good-meh-really good. Burleson is far far south, but nice from what I hear. Another heavy commute to Dallas.

Northside, development way north past the older parts.

If you could provide an area in Dallas you'll be working that'd be helpful. There might be better options than FW proper, like in NE Tarrant or north Arlington. Otherwise, there's a lot of threads dissecting FW. I'd search around.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM

I would be five minutes from the Galleria Mall.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,974,569 times
Unless you really like driving, I don't think you want to live in Fort Worth and have to drive to North Dallas. If your work schedule falls into the normal realm of rush hours, you are talking a minimum of an hour drive each way....and that's IF you run into no traffic problems.

My husband travels from North Richland Hills to a bit further east than where the Galleria is and travels at early times in the scheme of things. He leaves the house at 6 AM and usually makes it to work by 7, but not always. He leaves at 4 and if he's lucky is home by 5. If he leaves at 4:30, he's not home til 6.

So before you commit to definitely living in Fort Worth, you need to factor in the commute.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Ok, so I guess I may need something closer, what would be your recommendation? To be honest I'd rather commute than live in the ghetto, if you can think of a newer, nicer area that would be closer please let me know.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,050,105 times
I have a friend that lives in Keller and her hubby commutes into Dallas and it takes him an hour and a half each way. Even though from the outside looking in, it looks like "big deal 40 miles"? I know we thought that before we moved, but that is quite a LONG commute from FW to Dallas.

Edit: What part of Dallas are you going to be working in?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:37 PM

I will be five minutes from the Galleria Mall.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM

10,548 posts, read 22,451,777 times
Look at Grapevine. We have houses in that price range (Bellaire neighborhood) and the drive to the Galleria isn't bad.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM

126 posts, read 376,548 times
The Westside is the most desirable area of Fort Worth, but it is rather expensive, and would be a b***h of a commute to Dallas.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM

3,087 posts, read 6,974,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey9983 View Post
Ok, so I guess I may need something closer, what would be your recommendation? To be honest I'd rather commute than live in the ghetto, if you can think of a newer, nicer area that would be closer please let me know.
One thing about DFW is that it is so varied. So much so that it's really hard to pick the best options without actually trying it out first.

Grapevine, Lewisville both have large malls and great eating and shopping and would be an easier commute to the Galleria, but not sure that would really fit your image you have.

Sometimes it's just a gamble you have to take, however I really wouldn't commit to buying until you've lived here for a full year and can get the full experience of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth