Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,047 times

Advertisements

We are moving for two years to help family in the ft Worth area. My child is going into 7th grade and is AP classes (finishing up 7th grade math/science in 6th grade) I am mil retired and can move anywhere in the area. Looking for an apt maybe small home near a good middle school. Not worried about a commute. I can afford up to 1500 a month rent. Was told to look at Glen Rose school area so far but I could not find any rentals. Could use some advice please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM

540 posts, read 1,107,392 times
Well I guess the first question is where is the family you are needing to be close to and how close do you want to be? Are they somewhere in Fort Worth itself? Or somewhere outside the city?

To be honest, when someone says "in the ft worth area" Glen Rose is *not* usually the first recommendation to pop up. Is your family in Glen Rose or in Fort Worth? I mean even from the southwest side of FW, like Benbrook, Glen Rose is a good 50 minutes or so away.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,538,861 times
[quote=texas_nightowl;38939359]Well I guess the first question is where is the family you are needing to be close to and how close do you want to be? Are they somewhere in Fort Worth itself? Or somewhere outside the city?

To be honest, when someone says "in the ft worth area" Glen Rose is *not* usually the first recommendation to pop up. Is your family in Glen Rose or in Fort Worth? I mean even from the southwest side of FW, like Benbrook, Glen Rose is a good 50 minutes or so away.[/QUOTE

Yes, please be a little more specific about what your proximity needs are and we can give better advice. I can already tell you FWISD is a NO for middle school unfortunately.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM

156 posts, read 284,380 times
McLean Middle School is a strong middle school in FWISD, it feeds into Paschal HS also. Lots of kids that attend McLean are coming from very strong elementary schools with kids (and parents ) who are on the college track.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:39 AM

13 posts, read 17,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
Well I guess the first question is where is the family you are needing to be close to and how close do you want to be? Are they somewhere in Fort Worth itself? Or somewhere outside the city?

To be honest, when someone says "in the ft worth area" Glen Rose is *not* usually the first recommendation to pop up. Is your family in Glen Rose or in Fort Worth? I mean even from the southwest side of FW, like Benbrook, Glen Rose is a good 50 minutes or so away.

Thank you , for this information .

Old 03-26-2015, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,047 times
The family member is is Southwest Ft Worth area Code 76133. It was suggested Glen Rose because of the schools and taking the toll fwy it would only take 20 min to get between the two. But looking at the environment I am not sure I want to be in that small of a city. Coming from lots of trails/hiking/bike riding area's and things to do; a sleepy town might not be the smartest move. I have been looking at 76109 area code but the schools are not good on the great schools web site but the apts are really nice there...*sigh*.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:35 AM

11,871 posts, read 26,928,733 times
There is NO WAY that you can get from SW FW to Glen Rose in 20 minutes! That is easily an HOUR DRIVE. The Chisolm Trail Pkwy doesn't go to Glen Rose! You have to go through Granbury to get to Glen Rose, which means through both Johnson and Somervell Counties.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM

156 posts, read 284,380 times
The schools in 76109 are great!!! Tanglewood and Lilly B Clayton are fantastic elementaries. McLean Middle is a strong middle school and Paschal is one of the best high schools in the area. I personally have two kids at Tanglewood and it is a very challenging program. Friends who have kids at the middle have been very happy with it. Not sure what is being said on a website but that doesn't really represent what the true school experience is.

The limiting factor with 76109 is your budget, homes are pricey and hard to find. Not sure about apartments, I do know that there are some duplexes in the area. Just be careful when renting that if you are too close to TCU you may have lots of students (and their parties) as neighbors.

Search 76109 on this forum, or any of the schools I wrote about, lots of good, reality based info here.

There are other options in SW FTW also, Ridgelea is a nice area and areas south of 20 off of Hulen are becoming really popular, like Wedgewood.

Also note that driving the total distance of the toll road one way (~26 miles) is about $7, that would get expensive fast!

Old 03-27-2015, 10:01 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,765,508 times
You said 76133? My best friend lives there, in the Wedgwood area and I live in the GR area. I usually take the CTP to get to the house and it takes about 40 minutes, on a good day. You would have to take 67 east from GR, which is about 24 miles and get on the CTP just outside of Cleburne, which is about 26 miles from start to finish and head north towards FW, but the CTP costs and if you do it everyday, each way, it will add up very quickly.
Usually I go home via 377 and that takes about an hour, hour and 15 minutes, depending on traffic and time of day. Traffic is getting pretty congested in Granbury since new construction is popping up everywhere, and it probably won't end anytime soon.

My s/o also works in FW and he rarely has any traffic either way, the CTP or through Granbury but that is because of his hours...very early and gets off before rush hour traffic.

I'm thinking GR was suggested because the schools are decent. The schools are better than the some of the other surrounding towns. I would not put my children in Cleburne, Crowley or Granbury schools. GR is very hilly, we do have hiking, biking and trails, quite a few outdoor activities, etc. Your budget should work for GR but there isn't much availability for house rentals or apartments because the minute they are available, they are already rented out. People have been moving out here mostly for the schools. It is a small town environment, and there are always cons so you will just have to decide what is best for you. It doesn't always work for everyone, but we love it. Good luck.

Last edited by txtoal; 03-27-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 PM

70 posts, read 83,932 times
OP could look at 76110 which is Mistletoe and part of Faimount. That is McLean and Paschal as well. Paschal really is the best.

Or for $1500/month you could probably rent a condo at the Royal Orleans in 76109, corner of Hulen and Bellaire. Or buy one! Your payments would run about the same. Excellent area, close to everything and in McLean/Paschal district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth