U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 8,038 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are Southern California natives looking into possibly relocating to Fort Worth & surrounding neighboring counties. We just want a different breath and change of life...The cost of living in So.Cal is just too overbearing and keeps progressing like a tsunami wave.....I've been a fisherman (Ocean & Fresh Water Lakes) all of my life and love the outdoors as well. Can't have fun any more or hobbies in this state, they find a reason to ban everything yearly for the purpose of generating revenue....There is a fine or law for anything and everything you can imagine...including breathing wrong and walking backwards in our humanitarian bleeding heart state. I've been to the DFW area a half dozen times and fell in love with it. It just had a real homey feel and the folks seem real genuine and sincere without an agenda

I want to have all of my ducks in a row and have questions on living in general, and would like to get feedback from natives of the area or ppl that have been rooted there for a while after relocating as well.

1. What suburbs or near by neighboring counties are great for a family with children?

2. Lowest crime rated area's and highest crime rated armpits to stay away from?

3. Towns or neighboring counties with low property taxes.

4. Towns with great schools.

5. Towns with nice homes within the $275,000 range.

6. Area's with nice ranch homes with a large sized property 1 acre or more?

7. Area's for fishing and shooting.

8. Area's that don't have or very little tornadoes

9. And finally your input on the overall quality of life and cost of living in general.

Thank you so much and God Bless!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:05 PM

10,642 posts, read 22,709,481 times
A few answers for you....

First of all, find your job before you decide where to live. DFW is HUGE (just like LA), and commutes here can be really bad. You don't want to live all the way across the metroplex from your job!

1. It's easier to list the places you don't want to live. Honestly, most of DFW is just fine for families.

2. Stay away from east and southeast Fort Worth, at least until you know the area better, and Haltom City south of 820.

3. Grapevine and Westlake have the lowest property taxes in Tarrant County. But Westlake home prices start around $1M, so it won't work for your budget.

4. Fort Worth ISD isn't great except for the SW part that feeds into Paschal HS. Most of the ISDs in NE Tarrant County are just fine, and so are Keller ISD and Northwest ISD.

5. Again, avoid the areas I mentioned above, and you will be fine. Southlake, Colleyville, Trophy Club and Westlake will all be out of your budget range.

6. Read this post: //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...arge-lots.html
Short answer: unless you are willing to make a long drive, or live in an area with marginal schools, your budget won't be enough for acreage.

7. Winchester Shooting Gallery at Lancaster and 820 is my favorite gun range in FW. I have no idea about fishing spots.

8. Aside from occasional severe storms, you really don't have much to worry about tornadoes in Texas. They are really uncommon here. If you were moving to Oklahoma or Kansas, then you'd need to worry!

9. I've lived in the DFW area for most of my life, and I think it's a great place to live!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:22 PM

232 posts, read 316,702 times
Whenever anyone mentions any "good schools" in FWISD, why isn't Green B. Trimble Tech ever brought up? The school got a Silver rating last school year nationally, and it was the only school to do so...

Old 05-11-2015, 04:23 AM

Trimble Tech is the FWISD health care vocational HS. It's right next door to Harris Methodist hospital. If your kids aren't interested in health professions, it won't work for them.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:58 AM

17,395 posts, read 2,717,597 times
Shooting: it depends on what you shoot. Ft. Worth offers everything from Tech to SASS to Skeet. Personally I find the gun laws stricter and better enforced then in other states we lived in.

One acre lots and good school district is not very likely at 275k.

Tornadoes are part of the landscape.

The area is too big to point you in any direction without more information. Commutes can be cruel! Do you have a job lined up, ....

Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM

272 posts, read 294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Trimble Tech is the FWISD health care vocational HS. It's right next door to Harris Methodist hospital. If your kids aren't interested in health professions, it won't work for them.

mhmmmm I am going to have to call you out on that one. I am an alumni of Trimble Tech went there in the early 2000's. Trimble tech (was when I was there and still is) a "Trade School" your son or daughter can learn to be a Welder and graudate certified, a Hair Stylist and graduate certified, an AC Technician (HVAC is the actual term) and graduate certified, a Mechanic and graduate ASE Certified, a Body Shop Mechanic/Worker and graduate certified etc... there are atleast a dozen trades that you can graduate with, obviously ChristieP is right about their Medical program being the one that shines out, I volunteered at MedStar and at JPS, some students went to Harris, others to Baylor. Great school, beautiful school, and even in a very historic building. But it is not a one size fits all school, even regular high school students went here who elected to take regular electives or classes instead of picking up a trade. Don't believe me? Go to FWISD dot com and go to High Schools and look at school info, and even school photos. You'll be able to see the cool stuff today's students get to do.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 PM

The short answer is that Trimble Tech is a vocational, not college prep, high school. That's likely why it doesn't get much play here since most posters are looking for a traditional, college prep high school for their kids.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Grapevine seemed nice for shopping only looked too commercial, that being with having to hear the ear bleeding drone of jets flying over all day would get old quick.

How is Burleson and Mansfield?

Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 PM

I do have a possible job in line...But that would first and foremost before I would move forward.

I understand Tornadoes are part of the landscape but I wanted to know what area's are less prone to having them compared to others.

Commuting cruel? I've experienced Friday rush hour there and it was real heavy but nothing like California gridlock, so I think it wouldn't be an issue. Most ppl in CA commute to work 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours just going one way....I'm numb to it been doing it so long...lol

Thank you so much for your input!

Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffIT123 View Post
Grapevine seemed nice for shopping only looked too commercial, that being with having to hear the ear bleeding drone of jets flying over all day would get old quick.
You must have missed Grapevine's historic downtown, which is the oldest downtown in Tarrant County, and it's listed on the National Register of Historic Places! Also, all of the sales tax revenue generated by the shopping/restaurants helps fund the city's budget and keep property taxes very low!

And no, the planes do not usually fly over Grapevine except for over Grapevine Mills Mall and down 114. There are actually very few residential neighborhoods in Grapevine which are under a flight path. The neighborhood we live in is not under a flight path, and we get very little jet noise.

As for tornadoes, I guess you could say to avoid Granbury and Cleburne south of I20. It may just be coincidental, but those areas always seem to get the worst severe storms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth