U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 PM

38 posts, read 89,329 times

Advertisements

I'm considering attending Southwestern Baptist Seminary once I finish my Bachelor's up. I'm not too concerned with an apartment since they have housing on campus but am interested in the job situation. I have lots of call center experience and would like to do that part time to support myself through seminary. What type of jobs are in that area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM

653 posts, read 917,072 times
The school is right smack in the middle of a neighborhood, but there are a couple of major retail pockets not far away (La Gran Plaza, Hulen/Bryant Irvin area) and the hospital district and downtown are a fairly short car or bus ride away.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM

10,632 posts, read 22,655,636 times
Just know the area around SWBTS is very Hispanic, and somewhat high crime. The further east you go on Seminary Dr, especially east of I35W, it gets really bad.
The further west you go, it gets better. You will eventually come to TCU, and Bryant Irvin, which are great areas.
Check out Cook Children's Health Care System. They have many jobs in billing/call center operations, as well as administrative at the Medical Center.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:55 PM

653 posts, read 917,072 times
Why is it important to point out that the neighborhood is "very Hispanic"? And how is that relevant to what the OP asked?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:55 AM

Because if you want to get a job in those area, such as at La Gran Plaza, you are probably going to need to be bilingual since that is the customer base there.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM

272 posts, read 293,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Because if you want to get a job in those area, such as at La Gran Plaza, you are probably going to need to be bilingual since that is the customer base there.

Ill take your word that, that is what you meant. But maybe paraphrase a little better, funny how you follow up "mostly Hispanic" with High crime right after...some including myself might even see that slightly, ehhh not nice to keep it simple. But FYI there are a lot of English speaking opportunities within La Gran Plaza, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, T Mobile, Chase, Sonic, RadioShack, and the seven story office building that holds various doctors, lawyers, psychiatrists etc... Its not North East Mall, but it isn't a Bazaar or Flea Market either.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:45 AM

38 posts, read 89,329 times
I looked up the web site for La Gran and could see and given what I saw on the web site, I would agree with Christie that they'd probably want someone who speaks Spanish. Would love to learn Spanish, but a third language on top of Greek and Hebrew is probably a bit much!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:53 AM

272 posts, read 293,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
I looked up the web site for La Gran and could see and given what I saw on the web site, I would agree with Christie that they'd probably want someone who speaks Spanish. Would love to learn Spanish, but a third language on top of Greek and Hebrew is probably a bit much!

The only thing I can think of is maybe doing some part time solicitation/marketing via telephone for state farm agents. Since they are owned and operated by the agent you can probably get a more flexible schedule than you would working for a big company etc... That's just an idea at the top of my head lol.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Or just head west over to the TCU area, and there are all sorts of restaurants, shops, etc. where you can get a part-time job. There's a big Albertsons, Barnes & Noble, etc. If you are a good waiter, the restaurants in downtown Fort Worth are always hiring!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,570 times
Very ghetto

Avoid anything in between the I-35W and 820 corridor this area is known as Stop Six and is 3rd world

I'd avoid anything near the I-35W corridor to begin with

Look around the TCU area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth