Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,598 times

Advertisements

We moved here from another state a year ago and have been pretty disappointed with the schools.

My husband and I picked Springtown because it was right in the middle of his work area, but he will soon start working more around Weatherford. Does anyone have any info about schools in or around the Weatherford area?

I've read the accountability ratings on the Texas Education Agency's website and it hasn't helped much. If you go by their ratings, there are very few GREAT schools and only a handful of GOOD schools! Especially if you are looking for good elementary and secondary schools in the same district, like we are.

Right now we have some acreage and a new home...it will be hard leaving it, but our kids' education is our top priority.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 30,030 times
What is wrong with the Springtown Schools? I have a few freinds that live or lived in Weatherford and they have moved there kids to Millsap schools and Peaster. Peaster schools - this is what I have heard from people that go there. If you don't get in the schools when you are in lower grades the kids are going to treat you like an outsider. We considered moving there a few years ago but did not want my child picked on from middle school up. If you are not in sports there is nothing else to do. The friend at Millsap drives her child from Weatherford to Millsap everyday and they like the schools.

Good luck

Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Thank you for replying 4LPaints,

Springtown schools have very nice teachers and principles, however, it isn't a challenging academic environment. My boys are straight A students (4th and 6th grade, also a kindergartner) but are very well rounded boys. They have always been popular where ever we have lived, but neither of my older boys have made friends here. They are outcasts because they are smart. It is looked down on by the students, where as, they were always looked up to by students at there previous schools. They have always played soccer, but since it isn't FOOTBALL, they are again, outcasts. The money in the district goes to indoor athletic training facilities while my 6th grade son's social studies class has torn, out dated world maps hanging in the room. The priorities are not being set in the name of education. I wish people would realize that their children have more of a shot at being successful by getting a good education than pushing them to be "professional football players". I've never experienced anything like this and the more I look, the more I'm thinking about home schooling.

Last edited by mom23boys1girl; 01-23-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 30,030 times
I understand what you mean. My son does not play sports anymore and never did for Springtown. We are here in Springtown too and not always happy with everything at the schools but we are almost finished. He is a sophmore at Springtown High School. He is in the Marching band and the Jazz band and he is taking advanced classes to get all the education that he can from Springtown. At this point I would not move him because he would be an outsider at a new school. I understand about the SISD thinking sports sports sports when there are other areas lacking attention. They are going to try to pass another bond to get a new stadium built that will never benefit my son. The band barely gets to use that indoor facility to practice in the summer. They get to stand out on the 100+ degree parking lot to practice and look who wins more awards than football. BAND does!! Well good luck with what ever you decide. I have a friend that home schools her 2 kids through the Parker County Home School Assoc. They get to do other classes like music, art, etc in groups and you do you basics at home. I know they go on field trips too.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:30 PM

That is good that your boy is almost done. I hear that the high school band is really good. I can't believe they have to practice in the heat while that building is right there! My 6th grade son is in band and loves it and I think he will stick with it through high school too.

The last few months I have started looking into homeschooling seriously. I just don't want to make the wrong choice for my boys. It is a tough decision for us. I hope that we can move soon and have a better public school system.

Thanks for your reply and I'm going to look into the Parker County Homeschooling Association.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM

142 posts, read 412,348 times
If you are looking at moving closer to Weatherford. I would consider the Aledo school district. I am constantly hearing wonderful things about it. I believe Aledo and Willow Park have Aledo schools. You would be able to find a few acres and a home, may not be brand new but there are a lot of older remodels in the Willow Park Area and you would also be a stone throw from Lake Weatherford.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth