Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 AM

7 posts, read 8,093 times

Advertisements

I am a male moving to Arlington, Tx in mid August from North Dakota. I don't know anyone in or near Arlington. I will be going to graduate school at UTA and living on campus. I was hoping for any information about areas to avoid for safety reasons, places where young people tend to hang out (I am early 20s) and any other valuable information that anyone could share about living in Arlington or the area in general. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
The areas immediately surrounding campus, including "College Park" and downtown Arlington, are just fine. UTA is more of a commuter school with many international students; there aren't as many students living on campus as at other schools of similar enrollment. The student gym/center is absolutely gorgeous! I'm sure you will find your crowd soon enough.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:18 AM

506 posts, read 2,149,188 times
You'll be fine living on the UTA campus. ChristieP is correct about UTA being more of a commuter school without many students living on campus but that's slowly changing. There are lots of apartments nearby and several bars/restaurants within walking distance. You'll find your niche. Will you have a car? Lots of people your age fill the bars and restaurants along West 7th St. in Fort Worth, which is only 15 minutes away.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 8,093 times
Thank you both for your responses! Yes I will have a car so I hope that will open up more things for me. I will have to remember to check out the bars and restaurants in Fort Worth. My biggest concerns are finding places to be social and meeting people outside of going to school. Once again, thank you both for the positive responses and information.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:14 AM

149 posts, read 187,074 times
Downtown and 7th Street corridor is a great place to visit and spend time. I'd say it is pretty safe.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:34 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk15 View Post
Thank you both for your responses! Yes I will have a car so I hope that will open up more things for me. I will have to remember to check out the bars and restaurants in Fort Worth. My biggest concerns are finding places to be social and meeting people outside of going to school. Once again, thank you both for the positive responses and information.
Arlington is a very easy town to learn your way around in. The UTA/Downtown area has grown a lot in the past 10 years. Lot's of places to eat/drink meet people. There used to be almost no places for campus student housing, but that has changed in a big way. You will do just fine.

The best thing is that you have a car - Arlington has no public transportation system. You can get by with just living on campus, but you won't have to. You are sure to meet students who commute, ask them to show you around. You are sure to meet students who are new to the area - ask them to go with you to explore. Locals are very friendly down here and the imports will all be feeling exactly the way you do. Don't be shy.

Concentrate on learning your way around Arlington (lots of sports and entertainment) and then work your way into Fort Worth before you tackle Dallas. Fort Worth downtown is very safe and very active, the Cultural neighborhood in Fort Worth has some world class museums and then there is the Stockyard area, which is always interesting with good restaurants and bars.

for some places to start - check out the Yelp review for bars/restaurants around UTA. You will find several very popular ones that are always hopping. Look also for sports bars - very popular in the area as sports is big in all of Texas. Easy way to meet people. There are free concerts most weekends in Levitt Pavilion (downtown on the edge of Campus) that always attract big crowds - Some shows during the week, they often have food trucks and the concerts extend into November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth