U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,474 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a family member moving from California to this area. He has made an offer on a home in Westlake.

He asked my about Westlake Academy and I have always heard great things about the school. But I was told by a former student that there has been recent changes in the administration that has really affected the Upper school and the IB program.

This student also mentioned that Westlake used to be ranked really high in Texas and now it no longer ranks near the top. I was told several IB teachers were replaced with teachers with no IB experience.

If someone in here has any insight, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:19 AM

32,545 posts, read 51,077,194 times
If they have hired teachers wo IB experience that might be because there are not that many experienced IB teachers in TX
IB in this area is relatively new--
Teachers have to become IB certified within short time frame or lose IB standing

As school was created it started w/lower grades and added higher ones...
Easy to score high w/lower grades--in almost any testing field...

There was change in moment/leadership several years ago--read about it in paper and from what I remember it seemed power struggle between the city leaders and head of school who lost. But don't know current status--no kids enrolled.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 AM

25 posts, read 62,474 times
Any further information available about the Westlake Academy? It seems a mystery with not much information available online about Westlake Academy. Can anybody throw some light?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,535 times
My child is starting there tomorrow, so I'll see what I think as I gain more firsthand knowledge of the school, but before enrolling her I asked around and checked the 2015 school ratings for the school and both were positive and the school has ranked consistently high each year. I'm told there's too much material emphasis, because there's a lot of wealth in the school, so I'll see how I feel about that. I'm hoping I just can ignore that aspect.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
My daughter (9th grade) was offered one spot(November 2014) for 9th grade, I had applied for her and was number 17 on the waiting list, we were very excited about it since we had read so many great things about the school, but reality was very different, I won't say it is a bad school, but is not a great one either. My daughter only attended for a week, not because school was difficult or challenging as she had expected, after 3 days she told me " please take me out I am not learning, it's not challenging, if I stay I feel I will fall behind". My daughter is a high achiever, ranked 1st place at her public high school, scored a 5 on her AP Human Geography exam, her plan is to become a pediatrician, so when she told me take me out, I listened to her and feel no regret. I am assuming if your relative is buying a house in Westlake, affording private school won't be a problem, check into Fort Worth Country Day School, The Oakridge School (Arlington,Tx) or Hockaday SchoolDallas,Tx).

Old 09-24-2015, 01:45 AM

Would like to get more feedback from other parents with kids at Westlake.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:45 PM

Anyone else?

Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 AM

32,545 posts, read 51,077,194 times
likely parents with children enrolled there aren't posting on this site

if you don't live in Westlake and aren't guaranteed entrance, then I don't think they would be too likely to allow you to just tour the school...
Have you looked that the main IB site itself to see if there is information about any particular schools following IB programs??

there has been some dissention about management style which really sets the tone for any school...
if people with NO IB training/experience think they know more about educators trained and experienced in IB style then to me that is getting on shaky ground...

Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,273 times
Westlake has public tours once a month during the semester, it's open to ALL families that're interested in the school

Westlake Academy: Public Tours Information
Thank you for your interest in Westlake Academy. All tours will begin at 4 pm. Pre-registration is not necessary.
September 29th at 4:00 pm, PYP Tour for Grades Kindergarten thru 5th
October 20th at 4:00 pm, Secondary Tour for MYP Grades 6 - 10, DP Grades 11 and 12
November 17th at 4:00 pm, PYP Tour for Grades Kindergarten thru 5th
December 15th at 4:00 pm, Secondary Tour for MYP Grades 6 - 10, DP Grades 11 and 12

All Tours will begin in the Main Primary Years Building Commons Area. Please arrive no earlier than 3:45, to allow for school dismissal to be completed. There is no need to call ahead. Children are welcome to attend, and we ask they be supervised by parents at all times while touring the campus.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
More than 24 staff teachers and student parents as seeking class action law suit against City council members and charter school for school fraud, grade changing, and administrative retaliation. Check out online websites showing numerous families, students and staff teachers reporting school corruption. Refer to facebook group "Westlake Academy Charter school Corruption Administrative Fraud"

Westlake was not identified as being # 1 and subsequently declined to be identified in https://www.davedowns.com/best-dallas-suburbs.php.

It all corrupt and all about appearances- "paper compliance"

The stated is providing funds to charter school and Westlake continues to plead need for parent donations for $2,500 per child.

Westlake Academy - 2600 J T Ottinger Road, Westlake, TX

Check out above websites for school reviews prepared by
1. “community” parents - Westlake moms
2. parents- non community parents
3. staff teachers
4. students

Most reporting behaviors for administrative fraud, retaliation, and administrative incompetence. I am actively preparing a complaint report to the State Attorney General for objective evidence substantiating EDUCATION FRAUD RICO; involving
(1) Westlake charter school lawyer,
(2) TEA Mediator/HO &
(3) private education lawyer

Evidence identifies all above persons in conspiracy to de-fraud the federal government in acts of violation to state and federal laws with intention for cause of action- “pre-determined placement.”

My family has suffered enormously due to my advocating to the TEA for school violations listed in my grievance letter for my first son with disability of childhood autism.

I am unable to walk away. Having the knowledge that has been identified to me is a huge burden that I am unable to manage alone. I will seek until I can no longer withstand the responsibility or the load becomes too heavy to carry causing me to recognize that I did my best and I will pray that another child and his/her family does not suffer.

It is important that you recognize the systemic education problem at WA charter school which includes grade changing and administrative retaliation. My difficulty was not an isolated problem . Michelle Bryson, Administrator was “recycled” from another school to Westlake. She transferred bring with her three staff teachers.

During my son’s academic year, 2014 Mrs. Bryson's friend/staff teacher attended 3-out-of-3 IEP meetings as a representative for the general education population. One of the three has been promoted to new vice school principal at the tender age, 32!

Tom Brymer, Supervisor/City Manager was fired from City Manager at College Station.

Carl Tippens, College Counselor transferred from Dallas ISD. A trust-worthy friend knowing him in college disclose Mr. Tippen being interrogated by the FBI several times. He was not one of the three administrators arrested or fired or forced to resign from the district in over a $5-million technology fraud but his buddies were..

Andra Barton, Principal was fired from Carrol ISD for TEA Fraud. Case dismissed on a minor technicality. Mrs. Barton received forced resignation w/ one year severance pay due to hearsay information that a parent asserted her 12-year old son’s suicide was resulted from administer and school principal continual harassment.

The above "recycling" reminds me of the movie, “Spotlight”. Westlake must intentional seek-out the bad and fraud members of society.

Knowledge is power. Unfortunately, to have gain knowledge for education corruption my son and I suffered incomprehensible harassment, malicious acts of fraud and neglect. I wish I walked away as so many parents before me have.

I now have first-hand experience to the school corruption with pervasive acts of collusion at all levels of the educational institution right up to the state education agency corruption the my family suffered acts of malicious fraud and neglect.

I have a conscious and all society needs to develop a conscious and someone needs to be a “whistle-blower” being I am unable to afford law firm cost especially since my first lawyer experience. I will continue to squeak and file grievance letters, write blogs, and seek media attention until all involved individuals receive justice and are not longer allowed around children. Westlake has a bad reputation for harming children and our youth.

Truth is greater power.. that’s how we get the bad guys!

As Winston Churchill advised in his very..very short commencement speech I will never..never..never..never give up!

Best wishes,

PS Southlake is nice and has a great school district. Highland Park is also nice.

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth