Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,139 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am a 30 year old single professional and I have been offered a great position in the Roanoke/Westlake area. I am looking for advice as to what neighborhood in what town/city nearby would you recommend? here are some things i am interested in:

-Sailing
-Tennis
-Walking/hiking/biking trails
-good and varied restaurants (i realize "good" is a relative term, but i mean delicious and plenty to choose from)
-bars for meeting and hangout with friends (NOT clubs and discotecs, if you can't hear the people around you talking, its not my scene)
-live music
-convenience to grocery and other stores

I am coming to Texas by myself, so I will definitely need to get out and meet people preferably around my age and single!

Ideally I would like a maximum commute of ~30 mins to work in Roanoke/Westlake with traffic.

You're probably curious about my budget... please don't worry about it. That is not to say that I'm loaded and can afford anything, I am just looking for recommendations of areas from y'all so that I can search for apartments and see what fits my budget.

Please be as specific as you can be regarding neighborhoods and cross streets so i can really do some deep digging as i will be searching everything remotely.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!! I TRULY appreciate any help or advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:57 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,681,429 times
Grapevine. Get as close to downtown as you can so you can walk to the bars & restaurants. The 925 Main apartments are horribly expensive (rent on a 1 br is more than our mortgage) but the location can't be beat, and you say budget isn't an issue. Sailing on Lake Grapevine is popular!

Southlake and Keller are family central, and Southlake doesn't have apartments anyway.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:01 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,520,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiep View Post
grapevine. Get as close to downtown as you can so you can walk to the bars & restaurants. The 925 main apartments are horribly expensive (rent on a 1 br is more than our mortgage) but the location can't be beat, and you say budget isn't an issue. Sailing on lake grapevine is popular!

Southlake and keller are family central, and southlake doesn't have apartments anyway.
+1
You can Uber to Dallas anytime you want to hang out there. It's about $60 round trip from our house in east Colleyville to the lower Greenville area. Easy and safe.

Last edited by 4Movingeast; 08-14-2015 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Added comment

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,463,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan313 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am a 30 year old single professional and I have been offered a great position in the Roanoke/Westlake area. I am looking for advice as to what neighborhood in what town/city nearby would you recommend? here are some things i am interested in:
Honestly, that's a really crummy area for a single person your age. I grew up pretty close to there in Colleyville, and I don't know a single person your age still living out there without kids. If you have offers somewhere else, I'd keep looking.

-Sailing
-Tennis
-Walking/hiking/biking trails

These activities are available all over.

-good and varied restaurants (i realize "good" is a relative term, but i mean delicious and plenty to choose from)
Northeast Tarrant County is ok as far as restaurants, but there are A LOT of chains.

-bars for meeting and hangout with friends (NOT clubs and discotecs, if you can't hear the people around you talking, its not my scene)
Very poor selection of bars IMO, I don't care for the social scene around there.

-live music
You'll need to go to Dallas, Denton, or Fort Worth, unless you count karaoke at some dive in Bedford as "live music"

-convenience to grocery and other stores
Great grocery store nearby in Colleyville, Grapevine, and Southlake

I am coming to Texas by myself, so I will definitely need to get out and meet people preferably around my age and single!
Good luck, it's going to be a needle in haystack out there.

Ideally I would like a maximum commute of ~30 mins to work in Roanoke/Westlake with traffic.
That limits areas with large concentrations of single professionals. Fort Worth, and Dallas would be a longer commute

You're probably curious about my budget... please don't worry about it. That is not to say that I'm loaded and can afford anything, I am just looking for recommendations of areas from y'all so that I can search for apartments and see what fits my budget.
In order to suggest places a budget is very important. "affordable" is different for everyone, and most people not from the area get sticker shock when they come here. A lot of transplants wrongly assume things are much cheaper than they actually are.

Please be as specific as you can be regarding neighborhoods and cross streets so i can really do some deep digging as i will be searching everything remotely.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!! I TRULY appreciate any help or advice!!!
I wouldn't take a job out there. It's too far out into outerspace, and I'm sure there are opportunities in a better location, but that's just me.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Yeah, the closest place I would consider living (speaking as a single 25-year old professional) is Las Colinas. Admittedly I don't know very much about Grapevine, but it is not a hub for young professionals at all as far as I'm aware.

Uptown Dallas, which is just north of Downtown Dallas, is about a 35 minute drive to Westlake. I'm typically loathe to recommend Uptown but given the mix of things you've suggested it might actually be a good fit. It's close to the Katy and Santa Fe trails for hiking/walking and reasonably close to White Rock Lake for sailing. Sailing is not a particularly common activity in Dallas, but it can definitely be done and I see Lasers out on White Rock Lake all the time. It's also close to most of the best restaurants in Dallas, ranging from $5 a meal to fine dining.

The Medical District area in Dallas may be 5-10 minutes closer and would also be a good fit. Las Colinas doesn't really have a yuppie reputation, but there are some nice yuppie-style apartments, great restaurants, and the canals to do stuff like stand up paddleboarding. I can't say I'd recommend a young person to live out there, even if working in Westlake, but I would get an opinion with someone more familiar with the area.

You might also want to check out the Fort Worth forum, because Westlake and Roanoke are really more on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex than the Dallas side. There aren't a whole lot of yuppie areas that I can think of on that side of the area other than the West 7th neighborhood of Fort Worth, but you could ask them if they have suggestions. My final suggestion would be to live in Denton near the University of North Texas, which is not a "yuppie" vibe but is a vibrant scene with a lot of young, active people. Good luck on your search!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Don't even look at West 7th in Fort Worth. Although it is definitely THE trendy place to be for young professionals, the current construction mess on I35W from I30 to Keller would make your commute absolutely awful. (For example, this weekend, I35W is totally closed due to the construction!) The construction isn't supposed to be finished until 2018, so it's not going to change any time soon.

Las Colinas would be a halfway spot between your work and Uptown. There are a lot of young professionals who live there simply for the proximity to their jobs. It would definitely reduce your commute as compared to living in Uptown, and you would still be close enough to go down there on weekends or the occasional weeknight. Another plus is that rent in Las Colinas would be a lot cheaper than rent in Uptown.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:30 AM

Wow. Thanks so much to all of you!!

Some very good pointers and i will definitely look in to Uptown and Las Colinas.

I am hoping to have the opportunity to drive around the areas before accepting any offers.

Y'all have given me a lot to consider before making this decision. Thanks again!!!!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:19 PM

8,097 posts, read 8,239,272 times
Without a doubt look in Las Colinas near Lake Caroline. Zip code 75039

Old 08-17-2015, 11:50 AM

my friend mentioned Denton and Uptown Dallas. Any thoughts pros/cons to those areas? traffic for the commute out to Roanoke?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Uptown to Westlake is going to put 65+ miles PER DAY on your car. The good thing is you will be mostly going against traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth