Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 AM

216 posts, read 446,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You mean kinda like yours....?
Except that I don't think I said a single, negative thing about Fort Worth in my post. Maybe the time capsule comment was a little bit of a dig, but not in seriousness. And besides that, I just listed some reasons why I preferred Dallas to Fort Worth these days. If you even read my post, I started by saying I have a lot of respect and pride for Fort Worth and that I'm from there.

Quote:
Because NO ONE here is saying Fort Worth is the main anchor (and being serious about it) and I don't know a single person in Fort Worth who even wants this town to be like Dallas or thinks we're trying to "one-up" the city in anyway.
You've got about 12 pages of it. Sorry if I didn't pick up the sarcasm. And then the typical Dallas bashing: "Dallas has no identity or culture." (False) "Dallas is run down." (False) "Dallas is overrun by illegals. (We have our fair share like every other big city in the Southwest U.S. Ever visit the neighborhoods around the Fort Worth Stockyards?)

Quote:
The problem we usually have is just all the douchey, "we're better because we're bigger and more known" attitudes that come out of Dallas. I personally couldn't care less if Fort Worth never got any pro sports teams or gained world wide recognition (which is debatable with Dallas....).
Who the hell does this? No one I know or hang out with in Dallas. Please go to the Dallas forum and show me a thread started by a Dallasite whose purpose is to bash and contrast itself from Fort Worth. I've never heard anyone in person talk about Fort Worth in Dallas unless it was, "Hey, I'm going to Fort Worth for_____." The only time I ever hear this Dallas vs. Fort Worth crap is when I'm in...wait for it...oh yeah, Fort Worth!!

Quote:
The only thing that matters to me is that Fort Worth continues to grow while keeping its identity intact. The only true problem I have with this city is that it has more sprawl growth than urban growth, but hopefully that changes..... hopefully.
You and me both as far as Dallas and Fort Worth goes. One day I'm going to wake up and the metroplex is going to be scraping up against the Oklahoma border. I wish more people would realize the value of living in the core of the city and slow down the cookie cutter developments constantly going north.

Quote:
And don't take this as a diss, but the last city I'd ever want Fort Worth to be like is Dallas. Why? Because we're already so much like you....
Again, you and me both. Fort Worth is an awesome city, and I think the metroplex is so much more attractive having two great anchor cities...hell, three if you start to include Arlington. Fort Worth and Dallas don't have to be alike for them to both be great. And I realize that a lot of the talk that goes on with some people is just ribbing and metroplex rivalry. But what I laugh at and think is sad is a lot of people take this stuff dead seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,007,329 times
The reason why people take it seriously is because Fort Worth has been screwed out of a couple things just because of that "we're all the same" way of thinking. (see the TIGER funds).

Besides, it's more of a habit to "defend" this town since I always here people sh*t over this town when it comes to this certain topic. Go outside this forum and talk to people from in this state and all parts of the country and talk.... YOU might not have heard people in Dallas say anything negative, but I have. It gets a bit annoying when you tell people where you are and where you're from, they say the exact opposite, then you correct them, and they STILL say the exact opposite. I've had to deal with this personally several times before. So much that it's gettin' a little to much more than just a pet peeve.
Again, I don't know who you've been around, but everyone I know here essentially just wants people to stop calling us "Dallas". That's all!

Both cities have their own identities. All I ask is to stop lumping ours with someone else's....

And just as much as Dallasites get sick of their negative and false labels, we're sick of this.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 AM

744 posts, read 1,857,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The reason why people take it seriously is because Fort Worth has been screwed out of a couple things just because of that "we're all the same" way of thinking. (see the TIGER funds).

Besides, it's more of a habit to "defend" this town since I always here people sh*t over this town when it comes to this certain topic. Go outside this forum and talk to people from in this state and all parts of the country and talk.... YOU might not have heard people in Dallas say anything negative, but I have. It gets a bit annoying when you tell people where you are and where you're from, they say the exact opposite, then you correct them, and they STILL say the exact opposite. I've had to deal with this personally several times before. So much that it's gettin' a little to much more than just a pet peeve.
Again, I don't know who you've been around, but everyone I know here essentially just wants people to stop calling us "Dallas". That's all!

Both cities have their own identities. All I ask is to stop lumping ours with someone else's....

And just as much as Dallasites get sick of their negative and false labels, we're sick of this.

JJG, I am being serious in this comment: Fort Worth isn't all innocent either. They have been obsessed with beating Dallas for years and lying and saying they have this and Dallas doesn't have that(like DFW Airport)especially for the last few. That is why we attack. We are just putting Fort Worth folks in their place.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 AM

744 posts, read 1,857,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjeff View Post

What shopping are we missing out on exactly? Neiman's, Nordstrom, Macy's, Dillard's, Coach, Banana Republic, Sephora? Got 'em. If anyone feels the need to go to Saks it is not that far of a drive to the Galleria... That's right - you are down to one now since Willow Bend closed last Saturday.
Willow Bend is still there and it is in Plano, not Dallas.

The Shops at Willow Bend: About The Mall

Don't forget Dallas also has two Gucci locations to Fort Worth's 0 two Giorgo Armani locations to Fort Worth's 0, two Louis Vuitton locations to Fort Worth's 0, two Tiffany & Co. locations to Fort Worth's 0, a Rodeo Drive type shopping district in Dallas' Beverly Hills(Highland Park Village)Highland Park Village | Store Listings | The Premier Shopping Experience of Dallas, Texas

Dallas is also the headquarters for Neiman Marcus.

Quote:
And one more thing... over here in Tarrant County we have the Rangers, the Cowboys, the Cats, TCU, the Texas Motor Speedway. You can have the Mavs and Stars and that awful AAC in the heart of Victory... I mean Vacant Plaza.
NO, Fort Worth does NOT have the Cowboys, nor the Rangers, and the Cowboys are still a Dallas team. Victory Park is also another premiere Dallas destination, it puts Sundance Square to shame. Don't forget about Deep Ellum. Also don't forget about places like the Mayfair and stuff. I have friends who live in Fort Worth who head to Dallas all the time to visit friends who live there and they want to move to Dallas bad because they complain there is nothing to do in Fort Worth, but they work at the hospital there.

Dallas has also given a solution to its traffic problem: DART. Fort Worth has no rapid transit system.

Last edited by brajohns81; 09-16-2010 at 01:51 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 AM

61 posts, read 160,920 times
Fort Worth has a city council that is torn between "Old Money and "New Money". this is causing a split decision on where and how to direct the city from old heritage to new cosmopolitan feel. You will witness this from one side of town to the other. The Historical District insist in keeping it old, while the new money is encroaching these areas. Look closely at the arts and museum district and the difference is very obvious. While many want to tear down the Will Rogers Memorial coliseum within this "Art" district because it is aging...Many such as myself have fond memories of it just as it is from our childhood. Where we draw the line is determined by whose money is thrown into the mix for the renovations and maintaining ever changing city codes to keep the facility safe for the future generations participating in events within the structure. ie..Fort Worth Stock show and rodeo.
Fort Worth is not, nor will it ever be Dallas regardless of a few sports announcers. We have a certain karma and Hidden Treasures that are original only to Fort Worth, and cannot be confused with any other city, if one just takes the time to visit!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 AM

725 posts, read 1,245,891 times
I think Fort Worth is the more fun city to hang out in out of the two Metroplex cities. It has the more fun downtown in my opinion. Reminds me of Austin minus the hippies and college students, and plus some folks in ten gallon hats. Very Texan, and very unique.

We only need one Dallas, if that. The people in Fort Worth remind me of those in Houston, laid back and very secure with their city. Hopefully it will stay that way throughout this period of ridiculously brisk growth.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,007,329 times
Even thought Fort Worth is very unique, it still has to realize that it's a MAJOR city that's growing at a very fast rate.

We have to at least keep up with that growth by building up and encouraging more urban projects.

Those plans are around, but it's just slowly coming to pass.

BTW, srgrimes, there's a new rodeo arena going up around Harley Ave. It's not gonna be very big and it should blend in with the other old buildings. Personally, I'm not too much happy with it.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 14,146 times
I'm not from Dallas or FT Worth but I may be moving to either one next month. I can't say I share your frustration about being overshadowed. I'm from Newark, NJ so when someone says you're from North Jersey, that's the first city that comes to mind (for better or worse). I jumped into this forum to ask folks from this area, in your opinion, what area is best for a NY/NJ native? I will be working downtown FT Worth but I like my conviences, dating scene and transit systems (cabs too). I don't want to confuse the two places or assume that one is like the other. Many have described FT Worth as more country and laid back than Dallas and you can guess what area I'd be more inclined to live. Does FT Worth have anything worthwhile for a city-fied woman like me? Is there a happy medium at all? Or should I just take my derrier and stick to Dallas?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM

143 posts, read 321,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinxyB View Post
Does FT Worth have anything worthwhile for a city-fied woman like me? Is there a happy medium at all? Or should I just take my derrier and stick to Dallas?
Arlington or North Richland Hills. In between Dallas and Fort Worth.

I think you should move to Dallas, you'll have a long drive though, just being honest.

I like Fort Worth, most people do.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,545,166 times
I already left a response on your post in the Dallas forum, but I'll add this here. If you're looking for a good urban experience, you can find it in Fort Worth if you stay at the core. Downtown, West 7th, Fairmont/Near Southside, Riglea, TCU area. Outside of that -- not so much. You'll have to look at the schools to determine what you think is best for your kiddo. However, Dallas is definitely more "urban" than Fort Worth. It also feels more "east coast," at least to me. Since you said you'll work downtown, the TRE gives you an option to live in either city. Why not take a few days to visit both cities and decide which you like better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth