Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM

212 posts, read 572,952 times

Advertisements

if ft worth wants to get out of the shadows of dallas, then ft worth needs to grow up. i think they are doing good things now but they could be doing more for instance like putting a real big signature highend mall downtown, going for one of these nba franchise thats getting no support like the supersonics or the hornets, get somemore skyscrapers, and get the ball rolling with some rail. ft worth has a suburban mentality until that changes ft worth will always be dallas suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 03:04 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol11 View Post
if ft worth wants to get out of the shadows of dallas, then ft worth needs to grow up. i think they are doing good things now but they could be doing more for instance like putting a real big signature highend mall downtown, going for one of these nba franchise thats getting no support like the supersonics or the hornets, get somemore skyscrapers, and get the ball rolling with some rail. ft worth has a suburban mentality until that changes ft worth will always be dallas suburb.
  • Fort Worth is growing. Fastest growing in the area as a matter of fact.
  • Fort Worth HAD a big mall in Downtown. Didn't workout... now it's turning into condos.
  • Agreed: the city needs a major sports team, or at least WNBA or MLS, or something. We do have the Texas Motor Speedway, but commentators say it's in Dallas. WRONG!
  • Agreed on the skyscraper thing: They'll come.
  • Agreed on the Rail thing: it's in the works...
  • Agreed: the mentality of Fort Worth as a city that feels smaller than it actually is needs to change.
  • Dissagree: Fort Worth is NOT and will NEVER be a Dallas suburb.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 PM

126 posts, read 408,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
  • Fort Worth is growing. Fastest growing in the area as a matter of fact.
  • Fort Worth HAD a big mall in Downtown. Didn't workout... now it's turning into condos.
  • Agreed: the city needs a major sports team, or at least WNBA or MLS, or something. We do have the Texas Motor Speedway, but commentators say it's in Dallas. WRONG!
  • Agreed on the skyscraper thing: They'll come.
  • Agreed on the Rail thing: it's in the works...
  • Agreed: the mentality of Fort Worth as a city that feels smaller than it actually is needs to change.
  • Dissagree: Fort Worth is NOT and will NEVER be a Dallas suburb.
The last thing this area needs is another mall. I prefer incorporating it into an urban village like atmosphere such as the new developments on west 7th street. (That thoroughfare is going to be very impressive in a few years!). I think this is more representative of a big city; indoor malls are suburban.

As for the skyscrapers, FW needs to focus on building density in the center city. After the parking lots have been filled with proper urban midrise buildings skyscrapers will be more justified in relation to land prices.

OMG, i want FW to get rail so badly i can hardly take it. It is in the discussion stages and with community support it will become a reality.

I also agree that FW still has the attitude that it is smaller than what it actually is. I see FW as going through an identity crisis--> Grow up FW and start acting like the big city that you are. Lastly, i totally agree that FW isn't, never has, and never will be a "suburb of Dallas". It is this mentality that is keeping the reputation of FW down.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 PM

212 posts, read 572,952 times
when i say mall i dont mean like hulen mall i just want something downtown with character and good stores so i dont have to go to dallas all the time to shop i'll take a west village type of development downtown. i know there building in cutural district but thats still kinda far. also we need more events and festivals in the city i just came from mardi gras in dallas and it was very enjoyable. lets go ft worth kick it into overdrive thats make this place dense and happening

Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 PM

65 posts, read 314,856 times
Skycrapers and office buildings won't come if the business sector doesn't feel the demand is there. It's blown my mind at the amount of highrise residences being built in and around downtown Dallas, yet Fort Worth only has one real residential highrise..and that was a conversion. Right now, Uptown Dallas, is bigger than downtown Fort Worth with residential and office highrises going up everywhere. That kind of development is not going to happen in Fort Worth if developers don't feel the demand and/or money is there. Have you been to Austin lately?...once again a highrise explosion. Fort Worh is getting some good urban style developments, but besides the new hotel and Pier One, real highrise development still eludes this city.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
I moved to FW in 2006 from NJ. My family and friends there, for the longest time (and still to an extent) think I live in Dallas. A couple even ask me, "How do you like it in Houston?"

I don't blame Dallas for FW often being included as a suburb of Dallas. FW needs to somehow promote itself. I wonder how the smaller of other twin cities (like Tacoma vs. Seattle in WA and St. Paul vs. Minneapolis in MN) promote themselves as separate from the larger twin cities.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 75,692 times
I am from Washington and I lived in Tacoma while going to college. Tacoma is a unique city. They have seaports, industry, malls, diversity. Tacoma does not really promote itself, because it has to, it promotes itself because it WANTS to. Tacoma promotes WHY they are UNIQUE, when compared to Seattle. Tacoma promotes what you CAN experience there, that you CAN"T experience in Seattle. Tacoma is also further removed from Seattle than Fort Worth is from Dallas. Tacoma is further south than Seattle is, and therefore has developed in to the 'go to the city Mecca' for the mid-south surrounding areas. Tacoma also has to compete with Olympia, state capitol because it is centered in between Olympia and Seattle. But with all the development going on in the NW, the 3 are connected by a series of sterile, cookie cutter neighborhoods (that call themselves towns) with strip malls thrown in for good measure.

Fort Worth needs to develop and promote why they are unique FROM Dallas, if this is truly what Fort Worth citizens want. Maybe the citizens truly like the fact that Fort Worth is still laid-back, western feeling...etc. Maybe THIS is their UNIQUE experience that they should be promoting. Why are the high rises needed, and the cosmopolitan feel needed?? Not everyone enjoys going to the 'Big City', there are still some people that like a small town more intimate feel....maybe Fort Worth should promote the hometown, this is what America was built on feel...and promoting the more intimate, small town feel is more likely to bring a diversity of specialty type shopping, because then They are UNIQUE as well.....just my thoughts. Specialty shops, as a general rule, can't make it in the big city because of the lack of intimacy in a big city, as opposed to the little backwoods town (not saying that Fort Worth is backwoods, just an example) where someone's grandma makes the best taffy you have ever had, and you will drive for 3 hours just to go get some.

We are new to Texas and are actually going to visit Fort Worth this weekend. I don't like the hustle and bustle of a big city and I don't like the general attitude of people that are in the big city. I am making generalizations right now, because we have not been to Dallas yet....BUT, from experience in Seattle, I would drive further to go to Tacoma, because they weren't snobby, rude, better than you type people, on the flipside, when going to a good dinnerhouse, there was nowhere better than in Seattle. If you wanted to visit a city that was somewhere in between, you went to Olympia. They had the small mom and pop specialty shops, where you could find things you would never find in Seattle or Tacoma, you could find little out of the way cafes that had the best food you ever had...etc. You also felt safer being out at night in Olympia, because the city had the Hometown feel.

Also, remember, that it is the media that promotes the entanglements of very different cities like SeaTac, St. Paul/Minn and DFW. This usually comes about because of a major transportation hub that serves both areas and then continues to be purported that they are one in the same.

These are just my humble thoughts from life experiences.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM

45 posts, read 167,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You're right that Fort Worth needs to promote itself better and that we don't have enough top dog companies. This city has killed itself on some things, but you can't say that Dallas has little to do with Fort Worth being overshadowed. Dallas is just like L.A. in that it seems to claim the whole region as their's as if it's the only city in North Texas. I know several Dallasites who think that.
From what I've read, no one's blaming Dallas for anything. We're just annoyed that some people in and outside the Metroplex thinks that everything within a 50 mile radius belongs to Dallas. To truly understand that, you have to grow up here, you know?

BTW, if you agree or not, I believe that if Fort Worth was in a state no other major cities like Denver in Colorado or Atlanta in Georgia, we wouldn't be talking about this...... But I couldn't imagine Ft. Worth outside of Texas.
Can you imagine a TV soap called Fort Worth, I think the problem is rooted in the TV series "Dallas". I won't be visiting Dallas until they have the old town hall restored to complete the Kennedy trail.

When in the States, Fort Worth is the center of my activities. I travel from Springtown to Arlington but no further east. Of all cities I've seen, Fort Worth is the only one I felt I would live in.

I think that people who think everywhere is in Dallas are unaware of their surroundings. The distance between the center of Ft. Worth and Dallas must be around 60 miles. Just don't start thinking that Springtown is in Fort Worth, it's not even in Tarrent Co.

Modelflyer

Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth natives I know when I travel around the country and I say that I am from Fort Worth they reply aw your from dallas and I respond no I am not I am from Fort Worth. Fort Worth never gets the recognition that it deserves and we are tired of it. We have to promote our city and stop giving Dallas all the credit. Fort Worth has 9 fortune 500 companies 7 that is within city limits. Some major cities do not have one. The Texas Motor Speedway is in Fort Worth, but yet commentators still refer to it as the Texas Motor Speed Way in Dallas. This is very disrepectful to the citizens of our great city. These type of things have to stop and needs to stop now. We are the fastest growing city in North Texas, the state of texas, and the nation needs to know that we are a force to be recond with. FORT WORTH PRIDE!!!!!
I always had the same impression until I moved to Weatherford and spent some time in and around Fort Worth. Unfortunately, you will be unable to convince anyone that D and FW are extremely distinct from one another unless you can convince them to move there. I'm from Houston, so I can't give you guys top billing, but Ft. Worth is definitely 2nd best city in Texas! YAAAY!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM

170 posts, read 598,570 times
I'm okay with Fort Worth not standing out too much because the city doesn't need a huge population boost. If the whole country comes to realize FW is actually the better side of the metroplex, everyone would move there. Part of its charm is that it's smaller than Dallas. Many residents consider that a very good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth