Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,929,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Also, FW had a minor league basketball team, but business was bad, so they folded (or moved out). And of course FW has a minor league baseball team. I don't think FW can support a major league level professional team.
Yeah, we do have the Cats (which some people actually prefer over the Rangers).
And we couldn't keep the NBA D-leauge Flyers, but half of that was poor marketing and a lack of an updated arena. They were crammed into the Convention Center's "UFO". It's the same reason why the CHL Bramahs left.

I will disagree on the major pro sports teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,851,231 times
I personally dont care for minor league teams. Its not the real deal and if there was a NBA franchise put in Fort Worth people will come to the games. Fort Worth metro area is just about 2 million and much smaller markets have NBA franchises so a team could definitely survive in Fort Worth. When you live in a metro area that has a football, NBA, Hockey team, and baseball team would you go support those franchises or a minor league team.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 26,489 times
So with that being said just because you are a spanish person living in Texas that does not mean that you are from Mexico

Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,933,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, we do have the Cats (which some people actually prefer over the Rangers).
And we couldn't keep the NBA D-leauge Flyers, but half of that was poor marketing and a lack of an updated arena. They were crammed into the Convention Center's "UFO". It's the same reason why the CHL Bramahs left.

I will disagree on the major pro sports teams.
If you could either have an updated downtown skyline or a major league sports team, which would you rather have in FW?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,289,990 times
The skyline because there are enough major league teams in the area. Yes, I know none are actually in Fort Worth but Arlington and Dallas are close enough. It's not like FW is 100 miles away. There are plenty of people who take the TRE from FW to Dallas for the sports events.

My 2 cents.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,851,231 times
I wish we could get a real skyline. I am so jealous of every other big city throwing up skycrapers left and right. Fort Worth thinking is to conservative for me. If I was mayor we would have 5 additional skyscrapers added to our city skyline.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:18 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,348,703 times
I lived in Chicago for a year after college. I drove home to Ft. Worth at Christmas time. The outline of the Ft. Worth skyline was aglow with lights on the buildings. It was, and is, beautiful to me just as it is.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,964 times
Dallas can have the skyscrapers and all the local politicians that go with them.
All you have to do is listen to the local news and hear about all the problems with the city coucil, the police dept., the school dist. They can't even decide on street names without creating a controversy over there.
Take a look at what Fort Worth is doing and will be doing along the Trinity River, versus what Dallas is doing.
Guess we should be thankful that we're not as sophisticated as Dallas, as we don't have the great number of massage parlors, spas, and other types of sexually oriented businesses.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM

22 posts, read 133,264 times
I am in total agreement with "waqt". Fort Worth is Fort Worth, NOT Dallas. Dallas touts itself as being progressive, innovative, and modern, but the fact of the matter is that type of self-promotion is the exact reason there are folks that live in Ft. Worth and enjoy it so much: We don't like constantly trying to keep up appearances or progress for the sake of progress. More skyscrapers?? Why?? Just because?? There need to be tenants to fill those skyscrapers and as another mentioned, take care of the surface parking lots and concentrate on what already exists within the city before building something new. No matter the economy, a city can not build something in the hopes that companies will come to town simply because that building exists.

If Fort Worth continues to be concerned with the appearances of their city in relation to Dallas rather than accepting and embracing its history and differences, it will be headed down a very destructive path. I am from a city that continues to live in the shadow of cities like Atlanta, and is constantly being compared to various cities throughout the country, including Ft. Worth, for what others have that they don't. They are so concerned with being new and shiny that they have all but destroyed the history they had with no real plan to create anything. What they managed to create is a completely dead downtown with historic buildings reduced to surface parking lots and homeless parks. I have seen this in Dallas, but this is their M.O. This is what Dallas is known for...down with the old, up with the new. Is that what the residents of Ft. Worth want? I don't think so. And I don't think those of us new to the area want that either. The major draw to Ft. Worth is the big city with the downhome feel. Embrace it and learn how to promote that and all will be good.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 133,264 times
Oh, and regarding rail...am I missing something? Someone just mentioned it, but isn't the TRE out of Ft. Worth?? If you don't regard that as being rail, then you've never lived in a city without any means of transportation outside of your own car or a very poorly designed bus transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth