Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM

556 posts, read 1,556,456 times

Advertisements

(I'm late to this discussion.....) Isn't it frustrating when people don't get simple geography? I have relatives in South Texas who refer to us going "back to Dallas" after a visit. Heaven forbid!

I remind them that Fort Worth is west of Dallas, and we live 30 miles west of Fort Worth!! I try to make them understand by asking Austinites if they refer to themselves as living in San Antonio, or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,791,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second_pancake View Post
I am in total agreement with "waqt". Fort Worth is Fort Worth, NOT Dallas. Dallas touts itself as being progressive, innovative, and modern, but the fact of the matter is that type of self-promotion is the exact reason there are folks that live in Ft. Worth and enjoy it so much: We don't like constantly trying to keep up appearances or progress for the sake of progress. More skyscrapers?? Why?? Just because?? There need to be tenants to fill those skyscrapers and as another mentioned, take care of the surface parking lots and concentrate on what already exists within the city before building something new. No matter the economy, a city can not build something in the hopes that companies will come to town simply because that building exists.

If Fort Worth continues to be concerned with the appearances of their city in relation to Dallas rather than accepting and embracing its history and differences, it will be headed down a very destructive path. I am from a city that continues to live in the shadow of cities like Atlanta, and is constantly being compared to various cities throughout the country, including Ft. Worth, for what others have that they don't. They are so concerned with being new and shiny that they have all but destroyed the history they had with no real plan to create anything. What they managed to create is a completely dead downtown with historic buildings reduced to surface parking lots and homeless parks. I have seen this in Dallas, but this is their M.O. This is what Dallas is known for...down with the old, up with the new. Is that what the residents of Ft. Worth want? I don't think so. And I don't think those of us new to the area want that either. The major draw to Ft. Worth is the big city with the downhome feel. Embrace it and learn how to promote that and all will be good.
.... *sigh*
Again, NO ONE is saying we should be like Dallas.

Unlike Dallas and other cities, Fort Worth doesn't tear down most of its historical buildings just to build new ones that become vacant within a year.

We say we want more skyscrapers because most of the buildings in Downtown are filled up. If (and when) companies decide to move to Fort Worth, they wont have room, so they build.
But when I say we need more skyscrapers, I want it to be smart and well thought of. The city is growing, but it needs to grow smart. Fort Worth needs to stop building more suburban sprawl and start building in the city again. It needs to bring more of its citizens back into the heart of the town and not away from it, so more residential development is needed. So there is no "just because" when it comes to more skyscrapers in downtown.
All I ask is that the buildings aren't plain or ugly like some of the P.O.S.'s rising in Downtown right now (you KNOW what skyscraper I'm mainly talking about).

There's nothing wrong with progress. But it has to be smart progress.... something Dallas hasn't known in a long time.

I could care less about what Dallas has, because that whole city can be a mess at times. I love Fort Worth. Always have and always will. But don't think that you can't embrace what a city already has and NOT embrace some good in what a city could have at the same time. Skyscrapers, sports teams, and "extras" like those are nothing to be afraid of.... but only if they are introduced and managed the RIGHT way.

Fort Worth is a great city, with great people, and a great western spirit and downhome feel. But just because a city feels like a small town doesn't mean it has to look like it.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,016,643 times
Whoooa wait a minute...Dallas interloper here..

I am from East Dallas and I am tired of Dallas being divided into "north" and "south". We suffer the bad reputations of both! So I know what you mean.

BTW, we are home to the first historic district in Texas - we like to claim that we are the birthplace of the modern historic preservation movement our state. Now downtown and the Park Cities are another story!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,791,994 times
Oh, and another thing about the rail....

Fort Worth does have the TRE that runs from Downtown FW to Downtown D.

But the main reason why people say we don't have rail is because we have no real system. Well at least, not now anyway. But the TRE is just a one way commuter rail. It doesn't go around the city.

There are plans to have a streetcar system and it's in the works right now. Last news I heard about it, they were still in planning phase, but they have the routes down and all they have to do now is get the funding to start construction.

And our light rail won't be like Dallas (just in case you're worried about that). We are getting a modern streetcar system...... which means that the trains would follow the road like cars. Think of Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco...

Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 PM

852 posts, read 3,801,037 times
I did hear that Fort Worth-adjacent Arlington is the biggest city in the country without public transportation. That makes for some awfully clogged roads.

Last edited by LivingLikeAGradStudent; 08-20-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM

41 posts, read 112,732 times
I live in Houston and I have never been to Ft. Worth, but i have been to Dallas. I do not care for Dallas much. I do not understand why People say that the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is in Dallas when it is actually in Arlington. Why is this? Isnt Arlington closer to Ft. Worth? The same with 6 flags.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasboy123 View Post
I live in Houston and I have never been to Ft. Worth, but i have been to Dallas. I do not care for Dallas much. I do not understand why People say that the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is in Dallas when it is actually in Arlington. Why is this? Isnt Arlington closer to Ft. Worth? The same with 6 flags.
If you never been to Ft. Worth then why does it matter?..They are still the Dallas cowboys...dang!!! And the fact that u said u dont care for dallas that much (which is irrelevant)lets me know that you are tryna find a way to discredit Dallas in some kind of way....Gosh Houstonians!!!!......face reality....it dosent matter how much yall stress that yall Hate Dallas...its not gonna change the fact that we are indeed here..and in texas we are definately a city to be reckoned with...weather you wanna say we need fort worth or even just over express how much u like fort worth better than Dallas..WE ARE STILL THE MAIN CITY!!!!!!And its funny how everybody go's well overboard about how horrible of a city and fke Dallas is...but if u think about it..if we are so horrible...why does everybody want to compare their city to us?...Why are we the city to beat if we are a poor excuse for a city?...Its halarious...every city in texas wants to beat out Dallas for SOMETHING!!!! or point out how we suck....Yall need to get over it.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,222,154 times
Another Houston resident. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Dallas, but I'd move to Ft. Worth in a heartbeat. Much friendlier city.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Same here...You couldn't pay me to live in Houston or Ft.Worth...
Houston: Big Brown and Filthy...oh...and Bland
Ft.Worth: Small brown and ghetto...really ghetto

its funny how houstonians favor Ft.Worth.....or maybe not...they resemble each other...

Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Same here...You couldn't pay me to live in Houston or Ft.Worth...
Houston: Big Brown and Filthy...oh...and Bland
Ft.Worth: Small brown and ghetto...really ghetto

its funny how houstonians favor Ft.Worth.....or maybe not...they resemble each other...
Why are you trashing Fort Worth bro?..There has not been any Fort Worth residents trashing Dallas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth