U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM

4,627 posts, read 7,768,376 times

Advertisements

Fort Worth natives I know when I travel around the country and I say that I am from Fort Worth they reply aw your from dallas and I respond no I am not I am from Fort Worth. Fort Worth never gets the recognition that it deserves and we are tired of it. We have to promote our city and stop giving Dallas all the credit. Fort Worth has 9 fortune 500 companies 7 that is within city limits. Some major cities do not have one. The Texas Motor Speedway is in Fort Worth, but yet commentators still refer to it as the Texas Motor Speed Way in Dallas. This is very disrepectful to the citizens of our great city. These type of things have to stop and needs to stop now. We are the fastest growing city in North Texas, the state of texas, and the nation needs to know that we are a force to be recond with. FORT WORTH PRIDE!!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
JJG

13,581 posts, read 20,435,966 times
Glad someone else shares my pride. I'm tired of it too. But the thing is, there's not much you can do about that. It's everyone elses mindset that Ft. Worth is in the shadow of Dallas. And the city as a whole has to promote itself, which is one of the main reasons Ft. Worth doesn't get as much recognition as other, smaller, cities.

But overall, I agree. A girl I like keeps saying that she's going to Dallas, when she's really going to Ft. Worth. I HATE that! But hey, we're not the only city that has to deal with that.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:55 PM

119 posts, read 473,933 times
imagine their faces when I say euless! "where is that?" is the response I always get. But you are correct. When I tell my mom i'm moving to ft. worth, she says to me "where in dallas is that?", good grief! we need to stand out! there is a big differnece between the two! for starters (if i'm not mistaken) dallas has the highest crime rate. ft. worth (if i'm not mistaken) has the least when compared side by side. am I wrong?

Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM

126 posts, read 376,453 times
^^^
You are correct!!
There is absolutely nothing more annoying than when someone tells me that i am from Dallas, even after i have corrected them 200 times. The new stadium in Arlington certainly isn't going to help any; it is only spreading the Dallas name closer to FW. I wish that FW would initiate some clever campaign that really promoted the identity of the city and its individuality from Dallas; something similar to the "Keep Austin Weird" slogan. The best thing to do right now though is to continue to correct people when they make the assumption that FW and Dallas are a single unit!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:50 PM

2,388 posts, read 5,594,825 times
Speaking of other states that have that..... It's the same here in Minnesota when people talk about Minneapolis and St. Paul. Course that doesn't bother me as much since I live in Rochester atm...... Hoping to move home to the great city of Fort Worth soon though.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 PM

65 posts, read 295,741 times
This again? Dallas has little to do with Fort Worth being overshadowed. Blame Fort Worth for that. Dallas promotes itself as modern, progressive, world class, and comsopolitan. Fort Worth promotes itself as slow, laid back, small town, and western. And then blames Dallas when it doesn't get noticed. Fort Worth also has no pro sports teams, and although there are some well-known companies in Fort Worth, none really have an instant tie to Fort Worth, like say Neiman Marcus in Dallas (and I think NM is now owned by a FW company) or Starbucks in Seattle. American Airlines is based in Fort Worth and it's name is on an arena in DALLAS. And not to mention Dallas has one of the most recognizable and beautiful skylines in the country.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,048,896 times
Obviously those that don't know about Fort Worth and default to "ohh Dallas" would give you a good opportunity to tell them the difference!

I always say..well Dallas is where the East ends and Fort Worth is where the West begins. Oh and if you want exceptional museums...come to Fort Worth.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 42,790 times
I say that Houston is Jock Ewing, Dallas JR Ewing, Bobby Austin and Ray Fort Worth.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 42,790 times
[quote=chattyone;2697794]I say that Houston is Jock Ewing, Dallas JR Ewing, Bobby Austin and Ray Fort Worth. I love them all, They are all unique and different in their own way.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
JJG

13,581 posts, read 20,435,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txman View Post
This again? Dallas has little to do with Fort Worth being overshadowed. Blame Fort Worth for that. Dallas promotes itself as modern, progressive, world class, and comsopolitan. Fort Worth promotes itself as slow, laid back, small town, and western. And then blames Dallas when it doesn't get noticed. Fort Worth also has no pro sports teams, and although there are some well-known companies in Fort Worth, none really have an instant tie to Fort Worth, like say Neiman Marcus in Dallas (and I think NM is now owned by a FW company) or Starbucks in Seattle. American Airlines is based in Fort Worth and it's name is on an arena in DALLAS. And not to mention Dallas has one of the most recognizable and beautiful skylines in the country.
You're right that Fort Worth needs to promote itself better and that we don't have enough top dog companies. This city has killed itself on some things, but you can't say that Dallas has little to do with Fort Worth being overshadowed. Dallas is just like L.A. in that it seems to claim the whole region as their's as if it's the only city in North Texas. I know several Dallasites who think that.
From what I've read, no one's blaming Dallas for anything. We're just annoyed that some people in and outside the Metroplex thinks that everything within a 50 mile radius belongs to Dallas. To truly understand that, you have to grow up here, you know?

BTW, if you agree or not, I believe that if Fort Worth was in a state no other major cities like Denver in Colorado or Atlanta in Georgia, we wouldn't be talking about this...... But I couldn't imagine Ft. Worth outside of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth