Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,423,963 times

Advertisements

I was curious if any of ya'll had some recommendations of companies of who we should talk to. I am curious about the costs and maintenance involved in a salt water pool and some reputable companies that we should contact.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 PM

62 posts, read 287,202 times
Are you looking to install a salt system on an existing pool or are you talking a complete pool here?
I maintain several pools for the organization I work for and since we converted them all to salt pools we really haven't looked back. Ours are a bit of trouble simply because of our bather load but as for a residential pool, I can see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't want salt.? I feel sorry for people who still use chlorine.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 PM

We are looking at a brand new pool. I have heard great things about them.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
check out the dallas site for salt water pools or just pools--thread over there not too long ago had some negatives about a salt-water pool that you might want to know--even if you decide to still go with one--some problems might be avoidable with good planning/information...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
The salt pools still use chlorine. Somehow they use salt to generate the chlorine, however. And I too have heard nightmare stories about salt pools. Channel 8 recently did an investigative segment on "salt pools gone bad." I'm sure they are okay if you maintain them appropriately though.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Thank you. I will check that out!

Old 09-05-2007, 01:42 PM

62 posts, read 287,202 times
The truth is, anything having to do with pools is a lot of maintenance. The mis-conception is, if you install a salt system on your pool then your worrying days are over and that's not true. A lot of people assume the salt system should save them money and I doubt that either, what it will do is take salts that are naturally in your pool and convert them back into useful chlorine, reducing your chlorine costs.

Many might not realize it but bleach comes from sea water and is converted into chlorine using a machine just like the salt system on your pool......only a lot bigger. The DC current in the salt cell realigns certain molecules and converts salt into chlorine. The salt in your pool comes from sweat or whatever from the bathers in the water so the salt system has two benefits, removing the bad and creating the good basically.

Just don't think you'll never need to add chlorine again and more than likely you'll need to add salt time and time again, but that's cheaper than chlorine. The salt systems cost about $1000-$1500 initially so that alone is it's largest drawback. There are several brands of systems as well, I personally recommend those made by Zodiac
They've been making salt systems for awhile, I think they're based in Australia. Maybe someone else has more experience with other brands..

Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,042 times
Default Salt pools v. other methods

The technology for salt pools has been around for over twenty years. It comes and goes. The process in the salt pools is the same as used to make commercial bleach.

Salt pools are still chlorinated. They just manufacture it. The chemistry and maintenance is something that the homeowner must be brought up to speed before he chooses to treat his/her pool in this manner.

That being said, understanding what is going on and what to do about it is critical to the operation of the pool. The comfort of the bathers, the safety of the chemistry and correct maintenance of the equipment is what the user needs to know.

At this time a salt pool will generally not save the user money in it's operation. The cost of the salt, acid and the replacement of the cell after approximately 5000 hours of operation, plus the maintenance, it is not cost effective.

Salt is sometimes sold as a panacea, how it should be sold is as a convenience. The pool feels different and generally has better clarity. The actual operation and the chemistry does not change that much, it's just that the parameters you are used to keeping tabs on change to different parameters. Ph, alkalinty and CYA levels become much more volatile in terms of movement, while chlorine becomes more stabile.

I feel that I have made too much of this subject, however if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,927,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
I was curious if any of ya'll had some recommendations of companies of who we should talk to. I am curious about the costs and maintenance involved in a salt water pool and some reputable companies that we should contact.

Thank you!
Probably too late but...

When I was in CA I worked for Balboa Instruments. It is now called Balboa Water Group. Check out this link it gives you a brief rundown on salt systems for pools and spas.

Balboa Instruments - ECOmatic

Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM

257 posts, read 986,360 times
Default salt system

I have had my pool for 4 years and replaced the cell twice.It was under warranty the first time but has just been replced again for 850 dollars,Next time i think i will go back to chlorine tabs and not spend the money .I live in Houston and everytime it rains i have to add salt and its a pain in the butt when it rains every other day,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: