Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Fort Worth: affordable, buy a new house, teacher, cost of living, housing.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 18,709 times

Advertisements

My husband will start working at UNT at FTW in the summer of '08. We went to FTW in November of '07 for his interview and to look at houses and the area. We liked it, I can't say we love it becuz we don't live there yet, but I really wanted to get out of New Jersey. Texas seemed like the perfect choice because we hate snow and cold weather plus the houses are more affordable. We want a different environment for our kids and we want to live somewhere that is prettier. We like Florida but the houses are as expensive as NJ and I'm not too happy with the schools.
My family is ok with it, but they are sad that we are leaving (my mom and brother and my husband's father). But we have friends that make me feel so unsure about moving, even though I am positive that it is what I want.
THey claim that in Texas:
-its boring, there's nothing to do, why would we give up being so close to the excitement of NYC
- there are no good restaurants in TX, the pizza sucks, no good italian restaurants as compared to nj
-IF THE HOUSES ARE AFFORDABLE THAT MEANS THAT THE PEOPLE WHO BUY THEM are not desirabe people to live with.
-we are going to regret leaving our family because we will be totally alone if we ever have an emergency
So, I just think I need some positive reinforcement from NJ Texans. I lived in NJ all my life, and I'm sick of it. ITs a beautiful state but it is overcrowded, polluted, and the weather is dreary. I want to have a beautiful new house in a pretty area with a lake without having to pay 1 million for it. Since the house will be more affordable I have the once in a lifetime opportunity of staying home for at least 2 yrs. with my three young children at least until they start school full time (I'm a teacher). So for me this job offer is a blessing from God. Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
brrr... I don't blame you from moving away from the snow, we moved here from Chicago and don't miss the snow... we are doing so many more things outdoors.

Having moved from a big city like Chicago to north Fort Worth first, we found that it's just a different lifestyle.

As far as restaurants go, that is one thing I can't complain about. We can eat out every day for a month and not eat at the same place twice. Depending on where you end up living. Shopping is our favorite sport, various malls.

Last edited by nsumner; 01-01-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 02:09 PM

212 posts, read 477,124 times
I moved to Texas after 18 years in New York City. If you think you're going to miss the city, you will. There's no place like it in the United States. However, your quality of life will improve exponentially in Texas. Fort Worth in particular has extraordinary housing stock at affordable prices compared to New Jersey. If you want a graceful older home in a wooded established neighborhood, check the near west and southwest sides of town. (I'm assuming your husband's job is at the UNT Medical Center in FW.) The near south side, an historic area called Fairmount, is currently enjoying a revival and is full of beautifully restored bungalows. There are a number of gated communities with newer construction further out on the southwest side of town. You'll find a few mcmansion neighborhoods that direction as well. And check the downtown housing market if you're into townhouses, lofts, or high rise condos. A number of developments have come on line or are coming on line in the center of the city. Needless to say, taxes are significantly lower - in fact, Texas has no state income tax. Fort Worth has a number of very good locally owned restaurants - not really NYC quality - but they can provide a fun night out. Another area coming up is the West 7th corridor, which connects Fort Worth's internationally acclaimed museum district with its vibrant and restored downtown area. Four major urban infill projects are under construction along West 7th - which will include housing, offices and retail. And when completed in about 18 months, will make West 7th one of the most interesting urban thoroughfares in Texas. Others will have to fill you in on the schools; but I am a product of the Fort Worth ISD and have done pretty good. As far as moving to Fort Worth - if you decided to take the plunge, you would be coming to a city that is undergoing tremendous growth and exciting change. And I didn't even get a chance to go on about Dallas next door and a number of fantastic communities that are close to Fort Worth. Take it from someone who knows the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area very well. Your potential new home has great real estate. There's plenty to do and eat. And all at a nice price! Come on down...

Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM

158 posts, read 659,203 times
Well, there will trade offs, but hopefully, not better or worse, just different! The Italian food may not be as good, but Mexican food is the specialty here and maybe you'll come to love it almost as much! Besides, isn't the opportunity to stay home with your kids more important than some pizza? You can get your favorite food fixes when you go home to visit. My sister is trying to relocate from Denver because the cost of living and housing prices here would allow her to provide a much better quality of life for her kids in the long run. You can own a nice, new home in an upsacle, safe neighborhood with good public schools. You might also look at the suburbs of Fort Worth because the public schools are better. Boring all depends on what you like to do.. how often do you take advantage of NYC? Again, you'll be going home to visit and might even take advantage of it more then. If you want lots of family and/or outdoor activities, you will definitely find that here. You should go for it, you have legitimate reasons for wanting to relocate. BTW, the high here this weekend is supposed to be 75 degrees..

Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildah View Post
My husband will start working at UNT at FTW in the summer of '08. We went to FTW in November of '07 for his interview and to look at houses and the area. We liked it, I can't say we love it becuz we don't live there yet, but I really wanted to get out of New Jersey. Texas seemed like the perfect choice because we hate snow and cold weather plus the houses are more affordable. We want a different environment for our kids and we want to live somewhere that is prettier. We like Florida but the houses are as expensive as NJ and I'm not too happy with the schools.
My family is ok with it, but they are sad that we are leaving (my mom and brother and my husband's father). But we have friends that make me feel so unsure about moving, even though I am positive that it is what I want.
THey claim that in Texas:
-its boring, there's nothing to do, why would we give up being so close to the excitement of NYC
- there are no good restaurants in TX, the pizza sucks, no good italian restaurants as compared to nj
-IF THE HOUSES ARE AFFORDABLE THAT MEANS THAT THE PEOPLE WHO BUY THEM are not desirabe people to live with.
-we are going to regret leaving our family because we will be totally alone if we ever have an emergency
So, I just think I need some positive reinforcement from NJ Texans. I lived in NJ all my life, and I'm sick of it. ITs a beautiful state but it is overcrowded, polluted, and the weather is dreary. I want to have a beautiful new house in a pretty area with a lake without having to pay 1 million for it. Since the house will be more affordable I have the once in a lifetime opportunity of staying home for at least 2 yrs. with my three young children at least until they start school full time (I'm a teacher). So for me this job offer is a blessing from God. Thanks for your opinions.
If good pizza is all that is stopping you I have been told that this is the place to go if you are looking for NY style pizza and deli. The person that told me is from Brooklyn and moved to DFW metroplex 3 years ago. He said it is pretty good.

NYPD - New York Pizza & Deli - Home Page - 304 S. Industrial Blvd, Euless, TX 76040 - 817-358-9200

Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 AM

158 posts, read 659,203 times
There's also Dal-Italia Cafe in North Richland Hills. The owners/operators are from Italy.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
OK, best italian food in the Keller/NRH/Southlake/Trophy Club area is absolutely "Italian Bistro" it's in Roanoke on Bus 114 at Byron Nelson. Oh mi amore that Balsamic Chicken...

Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildah View Post
Don't believe that for a second. The housing costs are less across-the-board in the D/FW area. This is like saying that since houses in NJ are so much more expensive, then everybody in your NJ neighborhood is a filthy rich millionaire. The best part of the lower housing costs is, indeed, a family can live on one income and a parent can spend time with kids. $200-$300K will buy you a LOT of house in Tarrant County.

You might look in the Southlake/ Flower Mound area. It's closer to Denton (if your husband will be at the UNT main campus) and there are lakes and properties near lakes. Homes are expensive by D/FW standards but will look downright cheap to you.

As for pizza. Every region has its flagship cuisine that can't be duplicated anywhere. But you can go over to Dallas to Campisi's or try I Fratelli's that has 2-3 locations in the metroplex. Best pizza I ever had is Campisi's.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,453 times
Default NYTexans

We moved down here in Aug. '07 after my husband retired from the NYPD. We wanted a slower paced lifestyle than that in New York and that's exactly what we got!!! It takes a little getting used to but we haven't regretted our decision. We also looked into Florida, but everyone from the NorthEast moves there!!! It was difficult for our kids 11 and 8 to leave family and friends, but we always talked about it as a grand adventure and how lucky they were to experience another part of the country. Help make it easier for them by keeping them involved in any activities that they are used to. We signed our son up to play soccer down here while we were still in NY and he continued with Boy Scouts 2 weeks after moving here. Same for our daughter who played Softball this fall and is in Brownies. Our kids love it here now. Every place has it's plus and minuses....make the most of the pluses and the best of the minuses. Good luck and Welcome to Texas!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:30 PM

91 posts, read 408,638 times
Italian food..you have got to try Vinny's in Trophy Club on hwy 114. I think better than bistro. Vinny and family moved here from NJ. worth the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth