U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:16 PM

1,086 posts, read 718,205 times

Advertisements

Tall list that probably can't be met in every way.

First places that come to mind are Haslet and Northlake, north of LM....maybe Lake Worth or Saginaw.
Maybe west too like Weatherford or Willow Park....west of LM.
You'd probably like Hicks field north Haslet.

None of these probably has any public transportation I would think is decent.
Maybe if you are lucky Uber or Lift works for you....better faster and cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 01:47 PM

806 posts, read 1,988,568 times
Ballpark 5 years for each Lockheed level (assuming only a BS degree), with more experience acceptable:

0-5 Associate
5-10 Engineer
10-15 Senior
15-20 Staff
20-25 Senior Staff
25+ Principal

Old 09-13-2016, 03:26 PM

53 posts, read 32,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Ballpark 5 years for each Lockheed level (assuming only a BS degree), with more experience acceptable:

0-5 Associate
5-10 Engineer
10-15 Senior
15-20 Staff
20-25 Senior Staff
25+ Principal
Now that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks! I take it that you work there now, or used to? Would you mind if I PMed you with some other questions?

Doing some further research it looks like Cedar Hill is going to be our best bet. The commute will kind of stink but it's nothing I hadn't dealt with in Atlanta. Start time for work would be a big variable--the earlier I could start the better the traffic would probably be.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:49 PM

10,033 posts, read 21,117,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim113 View Post
Now that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks! I take it that you work there now, or used to? Would you mind if I PMed you with some other questions?

Doing some further research it looks like Cedar Hill is going to be our best bet. The commute will kind of stink but it's nothing I hadn't dealt with in Atlanta. Start time for work would be a big variable--the earlier I could start the better the traffic would probably be.
CEDAR HILL TO LOCKHEED?!?! Oh my. That's easily close to 2 hours each way in rush hour traffic!
You are looking at 45 miles each way!

Old 09-13-2016, 06:14 PM

53 posts, read 32,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
CEDAR HILL TO LOCKHEED?!?! Oh my. That's easily close to 2 hours each way in rush hour traffic!
You are looking at 45 miles each way!
That long? Google maps is showing 45-60 minutes assuming arrival by 8 (or better, if arriving by 7) in "typical traffic". Maybe it doesn't account for accidents? I guess I'll have to check things for a couple of weeks real-time and see what it's like there.

I don't mind leaving the house at 5 or 515 (that's what I do already), I just don't know if the working hours would support that. I'm definitely a morning person.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:35 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,403,624 times
My late husband was an electrical/software engineer (worked on the F16, F22 and JSF avionics) at Lockheed in FW for many, many years. We lived in Bedford and he didn't mind the drive from there to work (EXCEPT when there was freezing rain!). I worked in Dallas so it was central. There was however no public transportation in either direction (but there were taxis and DFW airport was not that far away). We had friends who lived in newer neighbourhoods which were being built up to the west of Ft. Worth - but the quality of the construction wasn't nearly as good as what we had in an older area of Bedford. Several regretted buying out there but I don't know all the reasons, sorry and I have been gone from there now about 10 years now so my input in that area is probably obsolete now.

(If you do buy there though and are not familiar with tornado warnings, think very carefully about where in whatever house you are looking at, you would 'hide' during one! I think that may be even more relevant if you are out to the west - we used to have some harrowing nights and close hits even where we were in Bedford).

I am sorry my husband isn't alive any more to answer your 'inside' questions about Lockheed. I applied online once though (even with his influence and I had good qualifications - I never heard a word back - very impersonal system they have). He told me however that once you had a resume in their system, they would automatically pull it and look at it if something arose that your qualifications would be a good fit for filling. He very much enjoyed the old 'seat of one's pants' days of development though - and he hated the last few years he spent there ... the projects were too unwieldy for that sort of thing any more, bogged down in paperwork .. too regimented because of government/military involvement, etc. And they are constantly laying people off ... sometimes you may get lucky and go back in the 'pool' to be reassigned but you can't be sure of that .. because 'funding' changes can be drastic. One other thing .. he also told me that Lockheed often has many jobs listed that either don't really exist or exist only 'possibly' depending on a contract they 'may get' or which they want to be sure they can source people to staff in a hurry.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 PM

10,033 posts, read 21,117,913 times
Quote:
That long? Google maps is showing 45-60 minutes assuming arrival by 8 (or better, if arriving by 7) in "typical traffic". Maybe it doesn't account for accidents? I guess I'll have to check things for a couple of weeks real-time and see what it's like there.

I don't mind leaving the house at 5 or 515 (that's what I do already), I just don't know if the working hours would support that. I'm definitely a morning person.
Google maps is notorious for underestimating DFW traffic. We generally say 2 minutes per mile is a good rule of thumb. So, that minimum 45 mile drive will be about 90 minutes in traffic. That being said, the southern suburbs' popularity has grown a lot in the last decade, and the infrastructure is lagging. This means the roads heading north in the morning, and south in the afternoon, are jam-packed. Add bad weather, or an accident on your route, and it's 2 hours.

Most employers won't let you show up at 6 AM. I would say that a 7 AM arrival is more realistic, but it will still depend on your supervisor's preference. If you get a manager who wants you there 8-5, you are screwed.

Don't forget the high costs of a mega-commute: more frequent car maintenance, increased fuel cost, and faster depreciation of your vehicle.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 10,365 times
theres lockheed in grand prairie too..which is much closer to you

Old 09-14-2016, 02:40 PM

806 posts, read 1,988,568 times
Quote:

I don't work there now, and have never worked at any of their facilities in DFW. I may have knowledge about the company, how it operates, etc. though. Feel free to send a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or