U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:13 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,608,783 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a feel for the area due to a possible job offer. The job would be near the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (so especially the White Settlement and South Lake Worth area). I'm familiar with Texas and especially Houston, so the questions are largely in comparison to there.

- Culture / attitude? How would you generally describe it (blue collar, industrial, technical/skilled, cowboy/redneck LOL, balanced?) The closest I've been is Dallas and Denton, so that area is a big mystery.
- Schools? Any comments, any with significant issues?
- Home cost range, both rental and purchase? We don't need anything big or fancy. A smaller home is okay. We just want it to be in good shape and not be in a trashy neighborhood.

We don't have to live right there, by work, if other areas would be much better. The SW area (Benbrook, Chapin School Road, Aledo) looks better in ways (demographically), but I wonder if home costs skyrocket too. And there is a possibility that we might even live west of Fort Worth. So the questions above would be repeated, along with any comments on commute. Thanks in advance for any feedback/help.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 09-12-2016 at 11:33 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM

10,568 posts, read 22,492,484 times
Short answer: Benbrook and Aledo are great. Avoid White Settlement and anything in FWISD north of downtown.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:06 PM

641 posts, read 628,777 times
I used to be a reservist there a long time ago and it seemed like a meth town. Im specifically speaking about Sansom Park and River Oaks. Lake Worth seems better but it being right next to Sansom Park is a turn off. I'd think Aledo is in a league of Its own compared to other cities mentioned. Benbrook is a good area too. Fort Worth's Las Vegas Trail is a crime ridden drug infested area and White Settlement is just north of that. Too close for comfort.

Stay outside of loop 820 if possible. And yes, Aledo home prices are soaring. It's a real estate hotspot.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:50 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. The "bad news areas" are definitely something I needed to be aware of. Aledo sure looks small though. My wife does home daycare, but we can't be far away from the population, so that probably wouldn't work. Maybe Benbrook might be closer to the "action" but far enough away from the bad stuff. I don't know, it might all be still too close. The trends are what matter. Things might be good now, but what about 10-20 years? It makes it all so tricky...

Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 PM

641 posts, read 628,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback. The "bad news areas" are definitely something I needed to be aware of. Aledo sure looks small though. My wife does home daycare, but we can't be far away from the population, so that probably wouldn't work. Maybe Benbrook might be closer to the "action" but far enough away from the bad stuff. I don't know, it might all be still too close. The trends are what matter. Things might be good now, but what about 10-20 years? It makes it all so tricky...
Yea, no telling what happens two decades from now... Deep north FW is also a pretty safe area. Off of 287 going NW and going North of 35w (North of tarrant pkwy)... You'll be around a ton of people and families so I'd assume a daycare business up there should be a profitable one.... It will be a 20-30 min commute without traffic and probably 30-45 with traffic... great schools though.. Go with something in Keller ISD (not zoned to Fossil Ridge) or Northwest ISD... great shopping options up there as well

Old 09-13-2016, 05:54 AM

10,568 posts, read 22,492,484 times
Keller to Lockheed/NAS JRB will be just as bad of a commute due to the current construction mess on I35. The project isn't projected to be complete for over a year, and even once it is done, there are still a LOT of people driving that route, so traffic will be heavy.

You might look at Saginaw. It's west of I35, and it's a more working class area than most of Keller. I'd guess that a home daycare would do well in that type of area.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 AM

17,031 posts, read 2,288,607 times
Pull the front gate up on Google maps. It is a bottle neck during rush hour. Consider this while calculating a commute. Also - where will you be on base? Considering that speed limits are strictly enforced that can also be a factor.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM

1,053 posts, read 645,421 times
IMO avoid North Fort Worth/Keller/Saginaw. The traffic is a nightmare and is only going to get worse. Lived in that area for over 10 years and moved this year. It took an hour to drive my child to school everyday. (Total trip was 6 miles). In general, the area around Western is changing and going downhill with all the apartments and low income housing. Saw a drug bust go down in the parking lot at Saginaw High. You would be much better off in Benbrook/Aledo. Watch the local new traffic report. North Fort Worth is always a parking lot. Went through there at 11:00pm on Saturday night could not believe I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. So glad I moved!

Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM

49 posts, read 46,557 times
I work in North Fort Worth near Western Center and I-35 and a lot of my work friends live around here. I agree with some of the posts above...you couldn't pay me to live up here. It is a beat down every day trying to navigate this area even at lunch hour on a weekday. It takes me 30 minutes on a good day and my commute is only 9 miles. It is not unheard of to have to wait 3+ light cycles to finally get through an intersection. With all the road work, it's amplified. Plus, everything is so boring. No offense to anyone that chooses to live here, but it's a sea of cookie cutter homes and big-box-mega-shopping-centers. This area will suck your soul away.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:43 PM

Thanks for all of the comments and feedback. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of traffic and congestion. I'll sacrifice other things before dealing with insane commutes. It sounds like there are a couple of possibilities though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth