Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to FW with my 3 kids (ages 11, 8 & 4) and would like suggestions/comments on areas. Price range is up to $300K. I'd like at least 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. A larger yard with trees is a must. Open to private schools so schools aren't as much of an issue (but if there were decent public schools, that would be optimal). I work from home so commute isn't an issue. I'd prefer to not be in a planned community - looking for more charm - but want to be in an area with other families and kids. My kids love to play outside so I want to be somewhere safe where they can ride bikes, make friends, etc.

We currently live in the Mansfield area in a 3000+ sq ft home with a pool. I am in the process of getting a divorce and the house is just too much for me to keep up with. I love the smaller, older homes in FW but am not familiar with the neighborhoods. I've looked at Fairmount, Arlington Heights, Tanglewood, Overton Park, Ridglea Hills, etc. I've also considered Colleyvillle, Grapevine, Southlake, etc as I love those areas but they are out of my price range.

I'd appreciate any comments on these areas (as well as others in the FW area) or suggestions on other places to consider (HEB? Benbrook? Kennedale? etc).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Grapevine is not out of your price range. On the contrary, there are LOTS of homes in Grapevine that are well within your price range! No HOA dues in most of the city, too. The area from downtown north to the lake is FULL of neighborhoods with trees and small, older homes with character.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Honestly, it depends on what you plan to do for schools. You may not have to worry about a commute but your kids will want to live close to their schools. Right now we live in Arlington and commute to private school in SW Fort Worth. The kids love the school and we love where we live but we're trying to sell our house to move closer to the school. It's been tough for the kids to form solid friendships with their classmates because we're so far from the school and as my older son's homework load increases I'd like for him to do it while sitting at his desk at home instead of doing on a clipboard in the car on the way home.

If you plan to go public I would recommend Grapevine. If you're looking at going private, your best choices (excluding religious schools) are Oakridge in Arlington or Fort Worth Academy, Trinity Valley, or Fort Worth Country Day. If you choose Oakridge there are lots of gorgeous neighborhoods to choose from such as Interlochen, Lake Arlington, or the town of Dalworthington Gardens. Those are more typical suburban homes though. All of those Fort Worth schools are fairly close together. I would recommend either one of the lovely neighborhoods close to the schools, one of the Benbrook neighborhoods off of 183 or 20 or somewhere off of Chisholm Trail Pkwy for an easy school commute. It used to be that you could get to the schools easily from Hulen but the traffic on Hulen keeps getting worse and worse. The more you can avoid Hulen during morning rush hour the easier your life will be.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:30 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
Check out Aledo TX as well. One of the best ISD's in the state of Texas and only about 20 minutes from Downtown Fort Worth. Walsh Ranch is developing between Aledo and Fort Worth now as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
What she can get for 300k in Aledo is not "charming"

Old 10-02-2016, 08:00 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Ridglea Hills in FW closer to 20 if you end up going private maybe? I haven't checked inventory in that area lately so
Not sure what 300k gets you

Old 10-04-2016, 09:40 AM

5 posts, read 5,458 times
Weatherford and Brock Areas might be a good option for you. You will be able to find more in Weatherford in your price point. Both areas are growing with a great atmosphere! [mod cut]

Last edited by Acntx; 10-04-2016 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Removed personal email address/Realtor advertising is not permitted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth