Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM

88 posts, read 130,415 times

Advertisements

Thank you all.

To answer some of you who asked why I'm moving here. I have found some friends through an online Bible study and visited them last summer. I fell in love with their church and the warmth of Texans in general. This is not to say that other parts of the country don't have warm people, but it was my first reference point outside of California. And that's not to say there aren't kind people in CA, but it seems to get rarer and rarer to find them.

I appreciate the areas to avoid and the areas that should be okay to check out.

Next week, I'll be flying into DFW and checking out the area for a few days. I'm also going to have a preliminary meeting with a realtor, so I hope to get some information from him.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:51 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
Maybe parts of Bedford or one of the other 'mid-cities' are still affordable? I used to live in Bedford just south of Cheek Sparger but that was about 10 years ago now. Bought at just over $100k (3 bedroom, 2 bath, great neighbourhood - over 2300 sq. feet). Sold at about $130k.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:04 PM

88 posts, read 130,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Maybe parts of Bedford or one of the other 'mid-cities' are still affordable? I used to live in Bedford just south of Cheek Sparger but that was about 10 years ago now. Bought at just over $100k (3 bedroom, 2 bath, great neighbourhood - over 2300 sq. feet). Sold at about $130k.
I'll check this out. Thank you, Aery!

Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 4,591 times
HEB is great. North Hurst is Nice.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:20 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Default Sansom Park

Sansom Park may be in your price range. We visit there regular and have friends that live there. It has a rep from way back of being slightly tough but it great every time we go. Very casual, low key area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
Hello all,

Looking to possibly move to Texas and, after checking out some home costs near Dallas, I'm starting to think my $135k budget is not that reasonable.

My hope was to buy a home outright and not have a mortgage.

Just wondering if there are any zip codes in/near Forth Worth that you'd recommend or avoid?

A bit about me.

I'm a single 50-year-old male teacher from CA. No kids, no desires to start a family. Not into nightlife, so not into the party scene... just want to possibly find some work in a bookstore or Christian bookstore. Possibly a bank or library. Something not as stressful as teaching. After 22 years of teaching, I want a change.

Thanks for any advice!
Ted

Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Look north of 820.

I wouldn't consider anywhere within the loop.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 PM

197 posts, read 229,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Sansom Park may be in your price range. We visit there regular and have friends that live there. It has a rep from way back of being slightly tough but it great every time we go. Very casual, low key area.
I would not recommend Sansom Park. If you are considering looking in that area I would consider Westworth Village instead (generally quite inexpensive except for the gated communities, and it seems much nicer and cleaner). You might also get a good return on investment down the road in Westworth because they are starting to build nicer houses outside of the gated communities (namely Magnolia Green on Seymour which will start at $650k; most houses in Westworth are WAY cheaper than this!) and considering Westworth's proximity to the River District development located immediately east of the area.

And regarding mschrief's post: there are still some great options inside the 820 loop if you know where the safe neighborhoods are. Especially considering that schools are not a factor in your case.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I also disagree with mschrief's post. There are some gorgeous neighborhoods within the loop. That being said, the desireable areas within the loop will probably not be within your budget.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:11 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Of course there are lovely neighborhoods within 820. Berkeley Place, Camp Bowie Blvd, Magnolia, Jennings Ave area and Fairmont. The average house price is beyond most mid-range salaries. If you are a very well paid professional or have two high salaries, of course it would be a nice area.

Average developments like I am in are still very affordable.

I stand by not purchasing a mid-range (under 200K) house inside 820. And safety is an issue. I grew up in Southwest Fort Worth and that area has had tremendous change in demographics and crime. I looked at houses there, but the neighborhoods were not well kept, run down, rentals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth