U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2006, 09:53 AM

22 posts, read 104,757 times

Advertisements

I am planning to go on vacation in March to come visit the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I graduate in Fall 2007 and want to move right away. Everything I have read about Texas seems very positive, but I would like to hear from some residents. If any one could give me some insight on the area, pros or cons, it would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the best area to stay in a hotel at? Is there any areas I should stay away from? Also, if someone could explain Texas taxes. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 04:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,048,264 times
Well I am assuming that since you are on the Fort Worth board, that you are interested in this area rather than Dallas.

First, where are you going to work?? That would be my first question. If you don't have a job yet, as you said you were just graduating, I would base where I live on where my commute would take me. Fort Worth is very big (about 40 miles across from end to end), so my next question would be, what is important to you. Nightlife? Quiet suburbs? Country feel?

Then there is the whole difference between Dallas and Fort Worth. While Dallas is more cosmopolitan (noted to be the last big city in the East), Fort Worth is noted for being a "cowtown" with wonderful museums and great culture in and of itself.

We haven't moved there yet. We move my Mom in January. We are still trying to sell our house and will be out there shortly.

Use this site to go back and do some research on particular towns etc. There is a TON of information here. I do that often when I am looking at researching a new town etc.

There are no personal income taxes in Texas, but the property tax is dependent upon the city/town that you move to and can be up to 3.5% of the purchase price of the home you purchase.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,460 times
Default Moving to DFW

Hi, my husband is looking for a job in the DFW area and I am researching the surrounding areas and I am a little concerned about which area is good for our family since I did a sex offender search for the DFW area. We currently live in Gilbert, AZa suburb of Phoenix and we love the neighborhood. Safe, quiet, great schools, shopping...you name it. Can anyone reccomend a good area that I might start my search for a new home? Thanks, Mommy of 2

Old 12-04-2006, 11:10 AM

I will be getting a job in the Interior Design Field, I am hoping to live in or near Ft. Worth because I am over the night life and want somewhere where I can start a family. I am not a fan of gated communities, but like the suburb feel. I do not want to live in the city. The houses I look at are mostly in Tarrant County. Any other info on the area you could share would be helpful.
Thanks.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,048,264 times
Well I can certainly tell you what I have found. We have a 2 yr old and want to make sure that we are in a neighborhood with plenty of kids, but wanted to make sure that we have really good schools for the future.

My hubby works out of a home office so we just really needed to be somewhat closer to the airport since he travels all over. I was really struck with the Keller area. There are a handful of master planned communities, they have some gated communities as well, but not all are.

Some of them fall in the "Fort Worth" city, but Keller schools. My Mom just bought a house in Saginaw, so we need to be close to her as well. In the master planned communities, I am drawn to Heritage because they have different levels of homes from 50 to 70' lot lines. They go from 150K to eventually they will be building 1+million dollar homes in the Bluffs. You have every builder from DR Horton to Toll Brothers and every thing in between, they have schools, medical centers, building retail, churches all within the community.

Crawford Farms is really close as well and they have DR Horton, Meritage and Newmark Homes.

We have also been looking at Hidden Lakes in Keller which is mostly larger lots, a little bit older and tends to be more exclusive. There are the gated communties in there. Brandonwood has some nice homes in North Richland Hills which flows into Hurst which has some nice ones as well.

The connudrum we find ourselves in is that we aren't sure what we want as far as, cookie cutter homes with lots of neighbors or if we want something more country out in Haslet.

I used to think that I wasn't much of a country girl, but driving through Haslet on Bonds Ranch Road made me think that I would love to live out there as well. The homes are on 1+ acre lots so to run next door would be more of a run.

Of course, then there is Southlake which is beautiful but personally for us, its nice to visit, but to chichi for us. I'm not that much into keeping up with the Jones =). Been there, done that, not that important to me anymore.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 PM

Red face Moving to Texas

Thank you so much for the info, I really appreciate it, I will have to look into those areas. You are a big help, thanks again for helping out.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:47 PM

14,872 posts, read 38,986,939 times
As far as your career in Interior Design, are you going to be specializing in any particular area? Dallas is a tough market to get into in that area (know firsthand). It is also the home of discount shopping. Being that Dallas has a huge Design District, Market Hall and lots of warehouses that sell to the trade & public a lot of people expect things a lot cheaper than it is in other areas. Of course there are areas of the metroplex that people pay more for some things than they would in other areas, in specialty shops.

If your going more commercial, have you been sending out your resume and lining up interviews?

If your looking for more on the residential side of things there are a few ways to get into the market. If your really good you can make it here with some of the big firms but they are tough to get into. There are small specialty shops that have designers on staff and the same goes w/ some furniture stores. If your wanting to do your own thing I'd check with home builders about getting in the door to do their models. This is a tough one to get into and it pretty well takes knowing someone. Then if your wanting strictly residential customers it will take lots of word of mouth, recommendations, finding shops to let you put out cards, builders to recommend you, etc. Then finding a good drapery workroom to do work for you (I can help you there as I know someone that does GREAT work and her prices are very reasonable. She works w/ several local designers). Another area is the fluff trade. I know someone well that does this and loves it. She does some of the shopping for her customers buying accessories, finding fabrics, etc and then putting it all together.

Thisi is just a glimpse of how the interior design field is in the Dallas area and more on the residential side where I concentrated (now I just like doing my own house which will never be completely done, lol).

Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM

Thank you so much for responding. I have a year left of school, so I have not sent out any resume's as of yet. I will be focussing on residential design, and have spoke with some designers in the Fort Worth area. I would rather not work in the city, but if need be would commute to Dallas. Designing for model homes is something I am really interested in. If you are able to give any other info. please do so. Thanks again

Old 12-09-2006, 05:45 PM
mlr

13 posts, read 46,648 times
There is a really great community in NW FT Worth called Sendera Ranch. It is a master planned community that has pools and playgrounds etc... There is a web site for it at Sendera Ranch. net or something like that.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Thanks for letting me know about Sendera Ranch, I went to the website and looked at some of the homes. If you think of any other areas I should check out please let me know. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth