Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:11 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetzvino View Post
I have a couple random questions that have been floating around in my head.

Do many people have screen porches in TX? Do you see that as something that would be nice, or not really needed?

Are there some major growth problems in this N/NW area of Fort Worth? It seems like there is new construction everywhere up there!

I've only been concentrating on the N/NW area of Forth Worth, and thanks to all your help, am starting to get a slight grasp on the area. How does this area hold up to other nice areas in the entire metro?

I know I talked about snakes earlier, but now I have another creepy crawly question. How much do I need to worry about nasty spiders down there? I don't like spiders, but am ok with them, but the thought of spiders that can actually hurt you, freaks me out a bit. Is it something you actively try to protect against or just a passing thought, and something you might see here and there?
I have never seen a spider or a roach in my house after being in my house since 1/7/16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 PM

12 posts, read 13,467 times
I live in Argyle. We moved here a year ago specifically for the smaller and excellent schools. Their school district is consistently ranked top ten in the metroplex, they were named 31st best school district in TX by school digger, all of their schools are 10/10 on Greatschools.com, and they've won the Lone Star award for best school in their class (4A) in the state of TX for the 5th year in a row. Not to mention they win state or come in second for band/football/girls basketball/volleyball/academics. It's expensive to buy out here, but if you can find something, you won't be disappointed by the schools.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:49 AM

20 posts, read 24,158 times
A great resource to research schools is greatschools.org. Eventually, the school district websites can give you more info about special programs and the structure of the district, but that website can give you info about the size of the district and other demographics. All of the places mentioned so far do have good schools.

You might want to also look at Haslet and Justin. They are also fast growing areas, but there will be less congestion on the west side of I-35.

Because the areas north of Fort Worth have grown so much in the past 20 years, you will find a lot of new shopping areas, newer homes, and a newer feel in that area. Roanoke and Grapevine (and some other towns) are old towns with old downtown areas--those downtown areas have been revitalized, and the town has expanded so it now blends into others. But they are great to visit and enjoy even if you don't live in that community.

Regarding creepy-crawlies, snakes and spiders are not a big issue. I've seen a few but mostly in more rural areas. Biggest issues will definitely be mosquitoes and fire ants.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM

113 posts, read 276,274 times
So, several people have brought up fire ants. I've done some research on them. Do these end up in your house a lot like other ants do? Or is it more something you just have to be aware of if a mound pops up in your yard?

Old 03-24-2017, 01:23 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,315,642 times
There are several prevention treatments available that you can spread or spray on your yard a couple of times a year. You can also treat mounds with powders granules that you can buy, but I find that you're often just chasing them to another spot when you do that. The only time I've ever had them in my house was when a mound popped up along the edge of my foundation and I had them inside the bedroom on the other side of the wall. It was a one time thing and it was more than a decade ago.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:54 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Never heard of a town called Sedera Ranch. It must be a development.

Southlake has the top performing schools of the group you have asked about; also a rep for being a somewhat pretentious town because it is the wealthiest burb in Tarrant County.

Flower Mound has many traffic challenges, but schools are good.

Trophy Club has some good schools, most of the houses are older, shopping is mostly in nearby Southlake

I am so not a Keller fan, I can't give any unbiased comments. Just so overrated

You might also consider Colleyville -- which is a bit further east but good schools.
Sendera Ranch is a housing development off I35. Not a town.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:25 AM

158 posts, read 659,349 times
Never had fire ants in my house, but had one bite my foot standing in the yard wearing flip flops while chatting with the neighbor and once sitting poolside and I didn't see any mounds around. They leave little blisters. The mounds seem to migrate around the yard, so you just have to be aware. As with wasps or bees, some people may have an allergic reaction, but most don't. Do use mosquitos repellent (and suncreen) if you're going to be doing yard work or hanging outside for any length of time, especially at dusk. Probably won't get a virus from a mosquito bite, but it is now more possible than in the past; better to err on the side of caution here, imo.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:00 AM

20 posts, read 24,158 times
Fire ants will be in the yard, never seen them in the house. You can treat them yourself or hire someone.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 PM

5 posts, read 4,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veetzvino View Post
Thanks for the snake tip! Also glad to hear my fears are maybe a "touch" overblown.

Thank you very much on all the info coming in. Are there any stereotypes/generalizations of these communities mentioned?

Flower Mound
Southlake
Sendera Ranch
Keller
Trophy Club

I'd love to hear more about the area, so anything you have, would be awesome.
My husband was just relocated to Westlake and I was curious Where did you ended up. Are you happy with your decision? We are considering the same towns. Although I was also wondering are a neighborhood called Tehama Bluffs in Fort Worth spring well as Argyle. Are Roanoke and Northlake towns to stay away from? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:23 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Rather than restarting a post form over a year ago, you should have just started a new one...

There's nothing wrong with Roanoke or Northlake. Honestly, all of the cities in that area are fine. I will note that the areas that are in the Fort Worth city limits have higher property taxes, and you get very few city services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth