U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:13 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,823,506 times

Advertisements

I lived in the North Fort Worth area, between Keller and Wautaga, for a year and found the people to be very friendly and kind.
My daughter's neighborhood was totally safe and a nice environment for her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 AM

3,893 posts, read 2,184,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
Freedom should be living in a country where you can be who you are, whatever religion you are, whatever ethnicity etc. without persecution. Freedom should not be owning something designed to kill. Freedom should not be feeling you need a gun to survive in a thriving first world country. That's not going to solve the problem. The problem there is WHY one would need a gun to protect themselves. And it's the "why" (eg the crime, the violence etc) that needs addressing. Adding more guns into the mix will only make the problem worse.

I'm not for taking away anyone's freedom...but when freedom is killing and freedom is children dying is massive numbers, (more than any other first world country), then I don't believe that's a freedom to uphold in its current status. It's something that needs to be addressed. What about the freedom of those killed to have been given the right to live out their lives and not have it cut short because somebody decided to shoot them? Especially innocent children. Their freedom to live is surely more important than your freedom to simply own a gun because your "pappy" did? And I don't mean that with any disrespect to you whatsoever. Not in the slightest. I'm sure you're a good person who knows gun safety. But I did mean it with the utmost respect for all those who have died and will continue to do so because those people seem to get quickly forgotten by gun rights activists when discussing this topic.
Freedom to live also means being able to defend one's self from both criminals and tyranny. Until you can figure out a way to change the hearts and minds of criminals and eliminate tyranny. We will continue to "cling to our guns". And for good reason.

Indeed you are in favor of taking away one's freedom. You're taking it upon yourself to decide for us what freedoms you think we should be allowed. That's not how it works in the United States of America and it's why people like you face such vehement opposition. Our civil liberties are "inalienable rights granted to us by our creator" not by any individual or government. A concept that is completely foreign to you I'm sure.

One things for certain, we do not need to be lectured by foreigners to give up our civil liberties and change our country to their liking. It's both arrogant and condescending. Perhaps before coming to this country you should study a little American history so you can better understand why we have a Constitution and Bill of Rights. The United States of America was founded as a Constitutional Republic and not a monarchy or a democracy. If you can't understand that then perhaps you're better off staying in the United Kingdom.

Just one other thing: With an attitude such as yours you're sure as hell not going to get along in Texas or any other "Red" state for that matter.

Quote:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Ben Franklin

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." --Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 06-29-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 09:16 AM

713 posts, read 567,518 times
Quote:
Cars were designed to get to work, get to school, get to the doctors etc.
Guns were designed...to kill.
It's difficult in this day and age to live without a car. Nobody in this day and age NEEDS a gun.
sorry - but at least 50 Million free law abiding Americans will tend to DISAGREE with you.
hmmm, my guns must be 'malfunctioning', because i've fired thousands of rounds and somehow NOBODY got killed; I even followed the mfgr instructions to a 't'; should I take them back for exchange for ones that 'operate' the way you suggest??
So YOU support banning free law abiding citizens from gun ownership so that only lawbreakers and murderers have them?

Last edited by oldoak2000; 06-30-2017 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-30-2017, 09:49 AM

713 posts, read 567,518 times
Quote:
Freedom should be living in a country where you can be who you are, whatever religion you are, whatever ethnicity etc. without persecution. Freedom should not be owning something designed to kill. Freedom should not be feeling you need a gun to survive in a thriving first world country. That's not going to solve the problem. The problem there is WHY one would need a gun to protect themselves. And it's the "why" (eg the crime, the violence etc) that needs addressing. Adding more guns into the mix will only make the problem worse.
I'm not for taking away anyone's freedom...but when freedom is killing and freedom is children dying is massive numbers, (more than any other first world country), then I don't believe that's a freedom to uphold in its current status. It's something that needs to be addressed. What about the freedom of those killed to have been given the right to live out their lives and not have it cut short because somebody decided to shoot them? Especially innocent children. Their freedom to live is surely more important than your freedom to simply own a gun because your "pappy" did? And I don't mean that with any disrespect to you whatsoever. Not in the slightest. I'm sure you're a good person who knows gun safety. But I did mean it with the utmost respect for all those who have died and will continue to do so because those people seem to get quickly forgotten by gun rights activists when discussing this topic.
I bet you didn't know that the NRA has contributed over 335 MILLION dollars to programs to EDUCATE individuals (ESPECIALLY youth) on firearms shooting and hunting SAFETY, knowledge, and marksmanship?
Tens of millions of dollars per year; hardy sounds like things being 'quickly forgotten' . . . .
I myself volunteer & directly teach youth shooting sports, as seeing them mature into knowledgeable, experienced, and RESPONSIBLE adults is not only priceless but a responsibly that those of us exercising our freedom(s) gladly bear. I'm not the only one; there are tens of thousands of others volunteering doing the same.
After all, can someone who is ignorant about firearms make ANY decision about them that is wise, safe, or good for the rest of society?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 PM

1,572 posts, read 3,516,315 times
Moderator note: A reminder that this is a local forum and is not the place to discuss national issues, including gun control. There are other forums available on the City-Data website for those discussions. Please keep this thread on-topic. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:37 PM

420 posts, read 279,439 times
Quote:
Czech has it right And the US has a very healthy rate of knife violence ON TOP of the already huge gun crime issue. The overwhelming majority of knife crime in the UK is confined to the inner cities and will be gang related (not that our gangs are anything compared to the US. I think the US gangs make ours look like 5 year olds running around with water balloons...luckily). That's not to say there's not some highly shady characters out there because there are! Unfortunately, the US gang culture has spread to quite a few countries and the U.K. is no exception. Luckily for now, it's still a very small issue.
It's the murder rate you need to look at - that's what worries me. 11.68 per million in the UK vs 42.01 in the US :-/ THAT'S what worries me :-/
None of which changes the fact that your fears are horribly misplaced.

You are far more likely to die from your diet, or driving, than you are via gun violence at the hands of a stranger. In that regard, Texas is dangerous. Our food is light years better, and our drivers are much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or