Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 5,484 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have been offered a great job in the area and have the opportunity to come visit in the next two weeks to see what it is all about before I accept. I currently live in Seattle, but was born and raised in Southern Missouri.

I am looking for tips on things like cool areas for restaurants, breweries or wine shops and shopping districts and other random unique/historical things.

For example Pike Place Market in Seattle, The Riverwalk in SA, Jester King Brewing in Austin, Country Club Plazs in KC, etc. Basically the attractions and places that make Ft. Worth what it is. What's it known for?

I would also love any suggestions for the outside burbs within 30 miles or so, for instance, Southlake town center looks very attractive to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:16 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
I saw your post about biking on the Dallas forum. Fort Worth has some great biking. In Fort Worth there's the Trinity Trails which has more more than 40 miles of hike, bike and horseback riding trails. A large portion of it follows the banks of the Trinity River. There's parks, restaurants, a small weekend farmers market and a bike shop along the trail. The mayor of Fort Worth, Betsy Price, is very into biking and has regular ride alongs.

In Arlington there's the nature park River Legacy that has miles of paved bike trails and mountain bike trails along the Trinity. Be aware that at that park there's the slim possibility of encountering wildlife such as poisonous snakes and bobcats. My sons used to go to preschool there and never saw any but there are videos of bikers seeing them. The bobcats and coyotes generally ignore humans though.

Fort Worth has a very laid back vibe and the people are very friendly. Dallas has better nightlife but the nightlife in Fort Worth is improving. The popular places for tourists are: the Stockyards where you can see a glimpse of Fort Worth's heritage and Sundance Square downtown. The West 7th area is popular with local younger people and has bars, restaurants, trendy condos and apartments, shopping and a movie theater. Not all of the stuff down there is listed on the West 7th website. It's also near the Cultural District where most of Fort Worth's museums are and down the street from the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens which has a very peaceful Japanese Garden. If you're looking for a more laid back eclectic vibe I recommend the near Southside neighborhood. There's art galleries, bars, restaurants, live music and theater, etc.

As for breweries, the big ones are Rahr & Sons and Firestone & Robertson Distillery which is best known for it's TX Blended Whiskey. Both offer tours. Grapevine (city between Fort Worth and Dallas) has a huge grape fest every fall and Fort Worth has all sorts of festivals and other events. For example, Fort Worth is having a huge festival at Panther Island Pavilion for July 4th. There will be will be activities, food, live music on the stage, fireworks and free tubing on the Trinity River. Panther Island is an event venue that has a stage facing the river. You can tube, kayak or paddleboard during concerts. There's also drive in movie theater nearby. As for a River Walk, there's plans to build one.

As for where to live, it depends on where your job will be. The traffic in the DFW area is horrendous and the metroplex is very spread out. Unlike Seattle, there's no natural barriers to sprawl. Just DFW airport is larger than the island of Manhattan. River Legacy Park is larger than Central Park. Your first consideration should be your commute and second your budget. I've lived all over the DFW area but I can't really present suggestions if I don't know what area of town you'd work in. Everyone else on these boards would say the same thing. As for Southlake, it's nice but really geared more towards families since the main draw is the school district.

Last edited by tcualum; 07-01-2017 at 09:26 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 12:54 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Southlake Town Square is mostly national chain stores and restaurants. It's the closest thing there is to nightlife in Southlake so it's usually packed with families on weekends. (Southlake has no apartments, and houses there start at $500k.)

Grapevine and McKinney both have cute downtowns with boutiques, wineries and restaurants.

Where would your job be? You would want to live close to your work so you wouldn't have a long commute.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 5,484 times
Hi Christie,

My girlfriend would be working in Southlake and I would be working at JCP HQ in Plano. We are really big on nearby conveniences and aren't big walkers. Southlake/Grapevine area seems to have things like a Grocery store, fast food, a gym, movie theater, Total Wine and More (yes, this is important! haha). Typically during the week we are very boring people as it is, I get off of work at 5, get home around 6 or so now, eat dinner and then go to the gym 7-9pm or so. On the weekends, to be quite frank, we tend to drive dozens of miles in Seattle because everything we like to do is spread out all of the area and not really in one place.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:16 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
After living in the Seattle 12 years and finally returning to TX in 2015, I hope you enjoy it here.

No more grueling commutes, lower prices, etc.

Just about everything I had in Seattle I have here. I do not miss the PNW weather and traffic. Not to say there isn't any traffic, but after all those years having a daily 3 HOUR commute, I am so happy to be here.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 AM

420 posts, read 403,282 times
Dude. Living in Ft Worth and driving to Plano every day would just be dumb.

Stick to west Plano or something around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth