U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 17,927 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking about relocating to the Fort Worth area. I was wondering where we should move based on this information.

1. Excellent schools (We have 4 young children)
2. Very low crime
3. 5 bedroom/3 bath home on at least 1/3 of an acre.
4. Price range varies. I would love to find something in the $350,000 -$400,000 price range but can go up to $550,000. I am pretty conservative and don't really want a huge mortgage, so if I can find a great community within the lower price range that would be great.
5. Do not want a lot of rentals, apartments, section 8 housing nearby.
6. Commute is not a factor.

I have done some research on towns and right now I am looking at Southlake and Colleyville. These two seem great but a little on the higher end of my price range. If you think one of these are the best places to live please tell me but I would also like some input on other cities that fit my profile. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 AM

4,191 posts, read 14,069,371 times
Southlake and Colleyville are at the top yes. You may want to consider Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, North Richland Hills. Check out Coppell too, it's on the east side of the airport, but is well worth the schooling and lifestyle. It is more of a bedroom community.

Naima

Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 AM

32,582 posts, read 51,161,531 times
problems--lot sizw--will be hard to find newer home in your price range that has that size lot--most lots in Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake are 1/4 of acre and have problems with lack of privacy in backyards because so many homes are two-story and "overlook" the ones they abutt--

schools--Southlake/Carroll ISD, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD are excellent districts that have high tax base--so you have to factor that into your mortgage amounts as well...there are other districts in area that have quality schools within the district but because of population mix and factors like family income their schools' scores vary from elementary/middle/high school zones...
they have good schools but you have to be more aware of particular schools--and also aware that school zones can switch from year to year--as HEB is doing on pretty big scale for next year (and that is because of ALL THE APARTMENTS the city allowed to be built 15-20 years ago some of which are section 8 now)
But HEB ISD has one of the NATION"S best IB programs at Bell HS and other quality programs like Suzuki Strings, language immersion and Mandarine and Hindi classes--so this is something to consider in its favor...
Keller ISD has been through re-zoning for past 4-5 years because of new schools and population growth...
Birdville is mixed bag--consider it carefully because of the older areas in Haltom City and Wautauga

There are some areas in North Hurst that feed into GCISD with moderate priced homes--in safe areas--
Some parts of Colleyville itself are in Keller ISD--so shop carefully for school ISD...
Grapevine homes generally have small lots, some with terracing because of slope to land, 2 car garages, and are usually tract developments--

some parts of N. Euless are in GCISD zone--tract homes but affordable because they are in Euless--growing area with new retail developments along 121

Old 03-14-2008, 12:47 PM

3,043 posts, read 11,037,513 times
lot size and 3 car garage were our biggest obsticles. But our top was 350k so for an extra 50k you have more options.

We bought in Keller and got a .39 acre lot in a 8 year old small sub. with small community pool. we got 4 bedroom instead of 5. and 3.5 ba. but paid only 300k so we are doing some remodling to have it fit our lifestyle a bit more. We really wanted a nice size yard (we have room for a pool and still space for dog/ swing set and soccer!)
We are happy with the schools etc... see the keller thread for info.

I think for what you want Southlake may be out of the budget. There are a couple of places on an acre under 400k but we looked at them PM me if you want deatails but much work was needed.

Colleyville will probably have more older homes in that price on bigger lots. But, There are a few out there that are newer. (push it up to 425k and you'll see more) 5 bedrooms is also a factor.
We too found that homes in Grapevine had smaller yards.

Trophy club has some new construction going on so you might look there Northwest ISD is very good. some have large lots some are on very small lots. It's a mixed bag in that area as far as housing goes, but it's very nice and away from the hustle and bustle...but close enough to go down 114 and be in southlake or at the airport quickly.

Also NWISD consists of Haslet Justin Rhome etc... and htey are building houses on acre lots all with in the 400k range.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 17,927 times
What if I wanted 1 acre with a home that was 4,000 sq ft and more of in the country? Not in the middle of nowhere but a smaller town feel. Where should I look? With the criteria from my first message. Thanks for answering my questions.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 PM

50 posts, read 183,270 times
we have just moved out to the Aledo area ....really like it...great schools, (6th grader and 8th grader) easy access to the I20 for commute. Lots of new houses going up as well as older ones with acreage.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 PM

4,191 posts, read 14,069,371 times
Haslet would be the town you describe, also a small part of Fort Worth called Willow Spring and Vista Ranch off 287, The Orchards have some nice homes too, also Azle a little further out you can get 2 acres. La Cantera is a very nice community by 199 aka Jacksboro highway.

Naima

Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM

68 posts, read 213,099 times
Smile Consider Keller, Argyle and Flower Mound

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrmom4 View Post
My family is thinking about relocating to the Fort Worth area. I was wondering where we should move based on this information.

1. Excellent schools (We have 4 young children)
2. Very low crime
3. 5 bedroom/3 bath home on at least 1/3 of an acre.
4. Price range varies. I would love to find something in the $350,000 -$400,000 price range but can go up to $550,000. I am pretty conservative and don't really want a huge mortgage, so if I can find a great community within the lower price range that would be great.
5. Do not want a lot of rentals, apartments, section 8 housing nearby.
6. Commute is not a factor.

I have done some research on towns and right now I am looking at Southlake and Colleyville. These two seem great but a little on the higher end of my price range. If you think one of these are the best places to live please tell me but I would also like some input on other cities that fit my profile. Thank you.
G'vine/Colleyville are very expensive. Even new Townhomes there run around 400-500K. They are very nice, but not made for a family. For the money, I think there are better areas like: Flower Mound, Argyle, and Keller. There are some nice homes in the 400K range in the above mentioned cities that would probably work for you.

Last edited by da jammer; 03-26-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM

3,043 posts, read 11,037,513 times
I agree with the Haslet area. there are lots of homes on 1 acre lots in and around 400k. Justin Rhome etc... are also in that area.

Aledo would be another place to look. (we almost bought a home on an acre there, very pretty)

Just really drive around in those areas, as there are pros and cons as with every place.

The new homes they are building are VERY nice!!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:08 AM

13 posts, read 40,593 times
Default socrmom4 did you find a good area?

I too am moving to fort worth this summer. We have a 5th grader and a8th grader. Looking at good schools first then housing. Looking at around 400,000 with some land. It is very confusing with all the school districts. If you could let me know if you have any additional info, I would appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth