U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:53 PM

82 posts, read 221,713 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a first time home buyer, and as I am self employed, getting financing has been difficult but not I'm possible. My budget is 175k, looking for 3 bedrooms and a two car garage with no HOA. I am single, with no kids. I would love to stay in Dallas, but as most of my work is between the Lewis ville and Frisco area along 121, the northern suburbs are just outside of my budget. For many years I have had my eye on and loved parts of old East Dallas and North Oak Cliff but I have not found anything in those areas that is in my price range that I am comfortable with either. Plus there is the traffic issue.

I have discovered some areas of Hurst and NRH that will provide me with good access to 121 and not make my commute unbearable. I am especially curious about NRH in the area north of 820 where it meets 183. I have seen some older yet well-maintained houses in that area. They look appealing but I am not that familiar with the area. Any advice? I am feeling anxious about moving further away from Dallas, but given the sprawl in the area maybe I am making too big of a deal out of it and and am a bit of creature of habit.

Something else to think of - I have no plans to leave the DFW area. In thinking of the future, perhaps if I really want an older well maintained house in OC or old East Dallas, the best way to go about it is to buy something more affordable that I can live with for the next several years, continue saving money, and building up equity in a house I can sell later down the road.

Purchasing a home has been a difficult task due to my self employment lifestyle,. With house prices rising, and my last few years of income being pretty good, and stable I feel as though I should get into a good house that I can own and start building some equity for the future. I am just about fed up with renting.

Given that much or all of north Dallas is too expensive in my situation, or simply very undesirable to me would you all suggest NRH or alternatively Hurst? The only other areas of Dallas that seem comparable are Garland and Irving, and I really dislike most of Irving, personally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:49 PM

6,820 posts, read 5,687,089 times
I'd focus on Carrollton and Farmers Branch if I were you. Also keep looking in Lewisville.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 PM

82 posts, read 221,713 times
Nothing in Carrollton or Farmers Branch that I've seen and liked, aside from a few "as is" that seemed to have some serious issues. The houses that have come up in Lewisville in my budget have been in bad shape.

I was really hoping to find a house in Carrollton, but I've been looking for a few months, and haven't found anything except one or two small condos.

One thing I've learned is that house listings are a lot like online dating. Many times they look great in photos, but up close and in person... not so much.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM

7 posts, read 4,398 times
I would imagine you ae having a hard time with your budget. You are not going to find anything that is not a headache anywhere in desirable in Dallas, Farmers Branch, Carrolton, Lewisville, Grapevine, Colleyville, Euless or Bedford. The housing market is so strong the 180k to 250k part of the market is insane. That is pretty much the going rate for first time homebuyers today. I am a Loan Officer Assistant and my wife is a loan processor, so I am witness to this craziness firsthand everyday. I think you might be able to find something in Hurst and possibly much older in NRH or Richland Hills. NRH is one of those places that has really grown in the last decade, so 175K might be tough to meet. I live off of Beach and Basswood, which is in "Fort Worth", but bordering Keller and Haltom City and only 5 minutes from NRH. You might have to expand your search a little further out, but you can find something nice for 175K. I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage listed for $185k, so I think you can get something very comparable in the area you want, as I am right up the street from where you are looking. The closer to the airport you get the higher the prices go. Things should slow down though come November-December, so be patient. [mod cut]

Last edited by Acntx; 08-08-2017 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising not permitted per TOS

Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 AM

6,820 posts, read 5,687,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung View Post
Nothing in Carrollton or Farmers Branch that I've seen and liked, aside from a few "as is" that seemed to have some serious issues. The houses that have come up in Lewisville in my budget have been in bad shape.

I was really hoping to find a house in Carrollton, but I've been looking for a few months, and haven't found anything except one or two small condos.

One thing I've learned is that house listings are a lot like online dating. Many times they look great in photos, but up close and in person... not so much.
I suggest you keep looking in Carrollton and FB; the market should slow down -- especially after school starts and Nov-Jan are great times to find things. I wouldn't rush to make offers on things out of your commute range at this point with the Fall coming in such a short time.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 AM

16,583 posts, read 10,198,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a first time home buyer, and as I am self employed, getting financing has been difficult but not I'm possible. My budget is 175k, looking for 3 bedrooms and a two car garage with no HOA. I am single, with no kids. I would love to stay in Dallas, but as most of my work is between the Lewis ville and Frisco area along 121, the northern suburbs are just outside of my budget. For many years I have had my eye on and loved parts of old East Dallas and North Oak Cliff but I have not found anything in those areas that is in my price range that I am comfortable with either. Plus there is the traffic issue.

I have discovered some areas of Hurst and NRH that will provide me with good access to 121 and not make my commute unbearable. I am especially curious about NRH in the area north of 820 where it meets 183. I have seen some older yet well-maintained houses in that area. They look appealing but I am not that familiar with the area. Any advice? I am feeling anxious about moving further away from Dallas, but given the sprawl in the area maybe I am making too big of a deal out of it and and am a bit of creature of habit.

Something else to think of - I have no plans to leave the DFW area. In thinking of the future, perhaps if I really want an older well maintained house in OC or old East Dallas, the best way to go about it is to buy something more affordable that I can live with for the next several years, continue saving money, and building up equity in a house I can sell later down the road.

Purchasing a home has been a difficult task due to my self employment lifestyle,. With house prices rising, and my last few years of income being pretty good, and stable I feel as though I should get into a good house that I can own and start building some equity for the future. I am just about fed up with renting.

Given that much or all of north Dallas is too expensive in my situation, or simply very undesirable to me would you all suggest NRH or alternatively Hurst? The only other areas of Dallas that seem comparable are Garland and Irving, and I really dislike most of Irving, personally.
I have a friend that, after living in Irving for over 20 years, just bought a home in Hurst. She looked forever in the Dallas area, but everything in her price range was in NRH, Hurst and Richland Hills. She too is a creature of habit, and was convinced that this area (I live near her new home) was a wasteland. She spent the first 2 weeks exclaiming about the different places that she "had no idea were around here". Whole Foods, every type of box store, restaurants, the mall. All within a short drive of her new house. And because she's near 121, she's avoiding tolls to her work with a much shorter commute time.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 AM

32,551 posts, read 51,102,602 times
We live in north Hurst past 9 yrs...Bedford before that
I have seen prices really escalate since the market came back
I think you have to watch some neighborhoods in NRHills and Hurst for being renter occupied
Many people have bought for investment, paying cash, and areas w/renters would not be good prospects

Use TAD.org and check other homes on the near streets
I think you will have difficult time in your price point
Good luck-- this is nice area for most part

Old 08-10-2017, 12:47 AM

Check out 5001 Wyoming Trail in NRHills
North of 183--bordered by Hwy 26 and BEDFORD Euless
My husband had aunt/uncle who lived on that street decades ago
House has had some upgrades...backyard needs clearing out IMO but has 2 car garage (not converted)
That area is just south of Hurst city limits
Hwy 26 under major construction but 183 to 121 or Harwood to 121

Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 875,478 times
Why not go north....to Denton, Lake Dallas, Corinth, Oak Point.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 PM

Denton traffic is the pits, IMO...
And prices have exploded there in past 3 yrs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth