U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:27 AM

29 posts, read 25,631 times

Advertisements

Will check Grapevine area too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 06:54 AM

192 posts, read 153,890 times
Of course, the drive to the FW Medical District from Southlake will be grueling at times due to the traffic. Unfortunately the road layout in the Southlake area wasn't really designed with commutes to Fort Worth in mind, though it is definitely doable if you give yourself an hour or so.

Walsh Ranch in the Aledo ISD would make for an easier to commute to Fort Worth due to being positioned right off of I-30 west of FW. Aledo ISD doesn't seem as strong academically as Carroll ISD, though the Aledo ISD does have an up-and-coming reputation. Also, Walsh Ranch is a new development and does not yet have all of the amenities you might desire, though they should develop over the next several years as Walsh expands. Walsh would be within 30 minutes of the medical district, though.

If you don't mind the Keller ISD, there is Heritage, which is more easily positioned to drive down 35W towards the medical district. That said the portions of KISD that are in the city of Fort Worth (like Heritage) don't seem as good as the portions of KISD east of 377, which includes the portion of KISD in the city of Keller proper.

If you have elementary-aged children in addition to your high-school age son (as your mention of neighborhoods with "kid friendly" amenities seems to allude to) the closest option to the medical district for a good public school would be Tanglewood Elementary west of TCU. Although Tanglewood is a Fort Worth ISD school, its academic scores and socioeconomic composition are more similar to the elementary schools in the Carroll ISD (childrenatrisk.org's school rankings shows Tanglewood is comparable to Carroll ISD's elementary schools at least by their methodology). In the case of your HS-age son, the big issue with the Tanglewood area would be the middle and high schools it feeds into, however Paschal HS is known for its college-preparatory curriculum. That said, Paschal's advanced academics are essentially a school-within-a-school, and Paschal does have some of the problems of an inner-city high school as portions of Paschal's attendance zone does include higher-poverty areas of south Fort Worth. Furthermore the Tanglewood zone is largely composed of older neighborhoods that lack many of the amenities that newer suburban communities would have, and even the newer developments in this area (like Riverhills) seem a little bland as far as kid-friendliness is concerned. But you would probably be able to get to the medical district in 15 minutes or so from here.

Even with the other options I mentioned, I still would choose to struggle with the traffic by living in Southlake, especially considering your son got into an advanced program in Carroll ISD.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM

We are planning to test the commute tomorrow morning to see how bad it is and if we can put up with it for couple of years !

Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 PM

628 posts, read 576,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkodai View Post
We are relocating from out of state to Southlake and are planning to visit Southlake next week. We have only 2 days there and need to get a house before school starts ( rent lease/contract ). Can anyone give their opinion on Kirkwood Hollow area. My husband has to commute to Fort worth.

The price/sql ft seems reasonable compared to a lot of other neighborhoods. Is it because of all the corporate buildings right on kirkwood blvd? I read that Ameritrade has opened a new office and there are big plans to develop along 114. Will this have a negative impact on the area - noise, traffic and making it undesirable for families?

Also if you have any suggestion for comparable areas, please share. Priorities -
Commute to Ft Worth - preferably 30 mins or less, prefer communities with some common amenities ( and kid friendly ). I liked some houses in Timarron, but cost/sqft seems high, although total price is cheaper than houses at Kirkwood hollow ( given same acreage). We prefer to be within 550-650K (some room to increase if we really like something ). We will probably rent, but feel buying is better as prices seems to be increasing and the house we for 650k this year may list for 750k next year and pool of affordable houses will be smaller -given our budget !!

I haven't been to Southlake, but this forum has given me a wealth of information ( this is my first post )! We really really need some input from people who know the area and the real estate values. Thanks in advance.
Op, Kirkwood is a very nice neighborhood. It is newer than the average planned southlake neighborhoods. But I believe you will be priced out of Kirkwood if $650k is your budget. Kirkwood prices range from mid $700k to high $900k.

I remember when ameritrade announced their development a couple of years ago and was approved last year. As an FYI, if there is ever anything that will affect homeowners in southlake, owner will be up in arms and start petitions, etc. I don't remember any controversy with ameritrade. I do know there is a big green belt that will separate Kirkwood from the campus.

The good thing about Kirkwood is that it has very easy access to 114 for your hubbys commute.

As for timarron, it is a huge master planned community with a lot of sub-subdivisions within it that vary in price points. So make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you see a home in timarron. Also, they have high HOA dues if I remember correctly.

Good luck. Btw, there are a couple of subdivisions in north grapevine that feed into CISD and a couple of Keller subdivisions that have open enrollment into CISD.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2017, 05:21 AM

10,515 posts, read 22,368,325 times
Quote:
We are planning to test the commute tomorrow morning to see how bad it is and if we can put up with it for couple of years !
Remember that summer commutes (when school is out) will be a lot shorter than commutes when school is in.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 PM

192 posts, read 153,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Good luck. Btw, there are a couple of subdivisions in north grapevine that feed into CISD and a couple of Keller subdivisions that have open enrollment into CISD.
I know Carroll ISD offers open enrollment to anyone who lives in the Southlake city limits but is outside of the Carroll ISD boundaries. I'm pretty sure that the "Keller" subdivisions that have open enrollment with Carroll ISD schools are the portion of the City of Southlake that is in Keller ISD (eg. the Southlake neighborhoods adjacent to KISD's Florence Elementary).

That said, even though Carroll ISD currently offers this option (allowing non-CISD Southlake residents to choose between their assigned school district and CISD), there is always a chance that Carroll ISD might not necessarily provide this option in the future, if something like school overcrowding were ever to be an issue (or even simply something like school board politics).

And speaking of commutes, you might be able to get out of some of the traffic on your commute to and from Fort Worth by using the tolled managed lanes on 121/183 from the 121 merge to the interchange at 820 next to North East Mall (and vice-versa). You don't need a TollTag to use them (so you can test your commute using them if necessary), but it will be a lot more expensive without one as compared to having a tag. That said, you'll probably still encounter traffic issues along 121 in Grapevine and Bedford (due to the merge in Grapevine and then only having 2 freeway lanes per direction in Bedford), NE Loop 820 in Hurst (lane changes), and then the I-35W area near downtown Fort Worth (due to construction and lane changes), assuming your commute follows 121 to Fort Worth.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,069,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlx View Post
I know Carroll ISD offers open enrollment to anyone who lives in the Southlake city limits but is outside of the Carroll ISD boundaries. I'm pretty sure that the "Keller" subdivisions that have open enrollment with Carroll ISD schools are the portion of the City of Southlake that is in Keller ISD (eg. the Southlake neighborhoods adjacent to KISD's Florence Elementary).

That said, even though Carroll ISD currently offers this option (allowing non-CISD Southlake residents to choose between their assigned school district and CISD), there is always a chance that Carroll ISD might not necessarily provide this option in the future, if something like school overcrowding were ever to be an issue (or even simply something like school board politics).

And speaking of commutes, you might be able to get out of some of the traffic on your commute to and from Fort Worth by using the tolled managed lanes on 121/183 from the 121 merge to the interchange at 820 next to North East Mall (and vice-versa). You don't need a TollTag to use them (so you can test your commute using them if necessary), but it will be a lot more expensive without one as compared to having a tag. That said, you'll probably still encounter traffic issues along 121 in Grapevine and Bedford (due to the merge in Grapevine and then only having 2 freeway lanes per direction in Bedford), NE Loop 820 in Hurst (lane changes), and then the I-35W area near downtown Fort Worth (due to construction and lane changes), assuming your commute follows 121 to Fort Worth.
IIRC, those tolls are also Not Cheap, *especially* during rush hour.

Even someone who can afford a place in Southlake might flinch a little at paying $4.50 or more each way every working day. Average Pricing Calculator | NTE TEXpress Lanes

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM

We got back from Southlake and have taken a rental house in Grapevine feeding to Carroll ISD !Tested the commute and it wasn't bad, but maybe because school has not started -we are kind of mentally prepared for the commute.

We plan to look for houses after couple of months.

Drove through Southlake and it's beautiful! But looking at homes there was a revelation - lots of mansions! I have to get used to all the grandeur and size.

I looked at Carillion, although out of our budget, wanted to see if there is community feel, given houses are so close to each other. But it seems to be lacking planned public spaces and I didn't see anyone in the community pool, for such a nice summer day. I had imagined tree lined houses close to each other with enough common space around them.

And one thing I noticed is lack of sidewalks in most subdivisons and not too many walking trails across the town. That was surprising, if kids need to bike, they have to be on the road.

I wanted to give an update after my trip and also thank all of you for your suggestions.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:42 PM

32,508 posts, read 50,991,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Yes and no. Yes, the traffic will be lighter. No, because when there is overnight construction, there are often delays getting the lanes opened back up. Once the construction is done in 2-3 years, that won't be a factor.

Do keep in mind that, as synchronicity said, GCISD is almost as good as Southlake, and if it wasn't for the ESL/low income kids in GCISD, they would probably be even closer.
Traffic in Colleyville is awful
Construction on Hwy 26 south of Hall Johnson as well as country roads north of 26 that are also used by people to get home or to move N/S to Hwy 26, Cheek Sparger or Mid Cities...

I can only imagine how the RE agents trying to show more than 2 homes in an afternoon are cursing this construction...

Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 PM

32,508 posts, read 50,991,014 times
Quote:
We got back from Southlake and have taken a rental house in Grapevine feeding to Carroll ISD !Tested the commute and it wasn't bad, but maybe because school has not started -we are kind of mentally prepared for the commute.

We plan to look for houses after couple of months.

Drove through Southlake and it's beautiful! But looking at homes there was a revelation - lots of mansions! I have to get used to all the grandeur and size.

I looked at Carillion, although out of our budget, wanted to see if there is community feel, given houses are so close to each other. But it seems to be lacking planned public spaces and I didn't see anyone in the community pool, for such a nice summer day. I had imagined tree lined houses close to each other with enough common space around them.

And one thing I noticed is lack of sidewalks in most subdivisons and not too many walking trails across the town. That was surprising, if kids need to bike, they have to be on the road.

I wanted to give an update after my trip and also thank all of you for your suggestions.
FYI
It is hot here in the summer -- even May and Sept can be hot...and I mean 90 at 11pm...
Being/playing outside is not really that desireable unless you are in the pool or doing an organized activity and even those can happen in the fall d spring vs summer...
This is a driving --not walking--culture for most part...
And developers have built with that mind and encouraged its continuance...
Most people w/homes in the 500k+ range have private pools...and many homes in lower price points as well--so a community pool (with the likely bacteria issues) are often not that big a deal...

Keller seems to be an area where the city pool is well attended...and there are some Keller neighborhoods w/community pools that people seem to use...
Some developments in Plano and other areas have water park type community pools but don't know any in Southlake orColleyville areas...land is too expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth