U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 08:13 AM

29 posts, read 25,806 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from out of state to Southlake and are planning to visit Southlake next week. We have only 2 days there and need to get a house before school starts ( rent lease/contract ). Can anyone give their opinion on Kirkwood Hollow area. My husband has to commute to Fort worth.

The price/sql ft seems reasonable compared to a lot of other neighborhoods. Is it because of all the corporate buildings right on kirkwood blvd? I read that Ameritrade has opened a new office and there are big plans to develop along 114. Will this have a negative impact on the area - noise, traffic and making it undesirable for families?

Also if you have any suggestion for comparable areas, please share. Priorities -
Commute to Ft Worth - preferably 30 mins or less, prefer communities with some common amenities ( and kid friendly ). I liked some houses in Timarron, but cost/sqft seems high, although total price is cheaper than houses at Kirkwood hollow ( given same acreage). We prefer to be within 550-650K (some room to increase if we really like something ). We will probably rent, but feel buying is better as prices seems to be increasing and the house we for 650k this year may list for 750k next year and pool of affordable houses will be smaller -given our budget !!

I haven't been to Southlake, but this forum has given me a wealth of information ( this is my first post )! We really really need some input from people who know the area and the real estate values. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vkodai; 08-06-2017 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: need to add more info
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 AM

10,542 posts, read 22,428,002 times
Where in Fort Worth is he commuting to within 30 minutes? A zip code would be a big help. Fort Worth is a large city.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:36 PM

It would to the Medical district. Any input is appreciated as we have only 2 days to make a decision !

Old 08-06-2017, 03:51 PM

There is NO way that Southlake will be 20-30 minutes to the medical district on a weekday. You'd be lucky to make that drive on a weekend! I drove there from Grapevine (right off 121) for nearly 3 years and it usually took abut 45 minutes in the morning, and sometimes an hour in the evening. Southlake, especially Kirkwood, is even further back from 121 and 35W, so add 15-20 minutes. Plus, you will be driving through several significant construction zones for at least the next couple of years.

Places I would recommend that will be closer:
If you really want to be in NE Tarrant, choose Colleyville, especially the part west of 26.
Otherwise, look in Aledo. The new Walsh Ranch development should be kicking off very soon!

Old 08-06-2017, 03:55 PM

Thanks for pointing this out, we are looking at Southlake due to the rating of schools. Would houses in southlake near colleyville border be easier commute ? He will be leaving early, 6:15 am - would that make it easier ?

Old 08-06-2017, 03:57 PM

Also any thoughts on the Kirkwood Hollow ? It seemed ideal residential until I realized all the corporate buildings taht are coming up.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:29 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,077,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkodai View Post
Thanks for pointing this out, we are looking at Southlake due to the rating of schools. Would houses in southlake near colleyville border be easier commute ? He will be leaving early, 6:15 am - would that make it easier ?
If you absolutely are locked into Carroll ISD, then I'd almost recommend looking at Grapevine in the part that feeds into that district.

Having said that, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD (GCISD) is also very good. Its metrics are a tiny bit below Southlake's, but that's almost certainly because GCISD is more diverse socioeconomically than Carroll. There are many locations in Colleyville where the houses and lots are just as impressive as any place in Southlake, and your children will get just as good an education as they would in Carroll. The commute from parts of Colleyville or Grapevine would be shorter in time and distance than Southlake.

I really like the areas near Parr Park and know that O.C Taylor is a great elementary, but others here can give you even more details on the neighborhoods throughout both suburbs.

(FYI - we looked in those areas and were very close to buying there, but lucked into a house in Southlake that was effectively underpriced for what it was. I'm happy where we wound up but remain a huge fan of Colleyville and much of Grapevine).

Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkodai View Post
Yes and no. Yes, the traffic will be lighter. No, because when there is overnight construction, there are often delays getting the lanes opened back up. Once the construction is done in 2-3 years, that won't be a factor.

Do keep in mind that, as synchronicity said, GCISD is almost as good as Southlake, and if it wasn't for the ESL/low income kids in GCISD, they would probably be even closer.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:00 PM

We really hadn't figured out housing and some of his to-be colleagues recommended Southlake, so I applied for an advanced program for my son at CISD and he was accepted. Since he's in high school,we have kind of decided on Southlake! And I didn't know Southlake has no apartments. I have moved a bunch of times and we always took an apartment and then bought our when we were comfortable !

We will be there Tuesday looking at houses and couple of rentals ! We liked couple of houses, but most of the good ones are in contract. There is a house in kirkwood hollow, so wanted to see if there is any downside buying there vs timarron/southridge lakes.

We loved couple of Grapevine house, but am afraid they may get rezoned ( esp due to my son being in high school )

Thanks for taking the time to respond, at least my husband now knows how the commute will be !

Old 08-07-2017, 04:59 AM

Houses in Texas do not change school districts, ever. And if the attendance zones are changed (very rare for high schools), kids are grandfathered to stay at their current school as long as they maintain residence.

Yes, Southlake has no apartments. That's on purpose.

Good luck with your move. The rental market is very tight, so take what you can get, and you can always move later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth