Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:06 PM

22 posts, read 29,368 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to relocate to the Dallas area and after some research, we really like the HEB school district. (we have two young kids, so schools are important) This area also looks to fit in our price range.

Are there any pros or cons of living in one of these towns over the other? Hurst seems to be the bigger of the 3.

Also, any other great school district suggests would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 03:17 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
What is your budget for housing?
Where will you be commuting to for work?

The three cities are all pretty much the same. They share the same school district, and all have a mix of older and newer houses. Generally, avoid areas south of 183 as they are the older areas with a slightly higher crime rate. Euless north of Mid-Cities Blvd has Grapevine Colleyville ISD schools. This district is better rated than HEBISD.

Property tax is lowest in Euless(likely due to revenue from DFW Airport), Bedford is a little hgher, and highest in Hurst. https://www.tad.org/wp-contentpdf/ra...17TaxRates.pdf

Old 12-14-2017, 01:14 PM

22 posts, read 29,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
What is your budget for housing?
Where will you be commuting to for work?

The three cities are all pretty much the same. They share the same school district, and all have a mix of older and newer houses. Generally, avoid areas south of 183 as they are the older areas with a slightly higher crime rate. Euless north of Mid-Cities Blvd has Grapevine Colleyville ISD schools. This district is better rated than HEBISD.

Property tax is lowest in Euless(likely due to revenue from DFW Airport), Bedford is a little hgher, and highest in Hurst. https://www.tad.org/wp-contentpdf/ra...17TaxRates.pdf

My husband is an auto mechanic and I do support staff work in law offices but we have no started applying for jobs yet because we are still looking for a place to relocate to. I am guessing I'll be working in Dallas or Ft worth but both of us have jobs were qualified for in both.

I'll definitely check out Grapevine Colleyville ISD as well - I'm very open to suggestions.

For rent, we'd want to stay under $1500 and to buy probably 250-300 but were not looking to buy for maybe a year or two.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:07 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,314,617 times
$1500 for rent won't get you into a house in Grapevine-Colleyville ISD and will be pretty difficult to find north of 183 in HEB ISD. Buying in that price range won't be impossible, but the inventory is going to be pretty thin. Anything that's in good shape is going to fly off the market.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Before you decide where to live, you must find out where you will be working. The DFW area is larger than the state of Connecticut, and there’s no need to make a long commute since we have nice areas all over the Metro. I would recommend at least trying to find jobs at least on the same side of the area. We see people here who work completely opposite of their spouse and both end up with awful commutes.

I agree you will need to watch your budget, and that rental budget won’t get you much.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:13 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
You will be able to rent in a lovely townhouse community in North Euless called Village in the Glen that’s in the Grapevine Colleyville school district for rents about $1400 - $1500. For that you’ll get a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath townhouse with a small backyard area. There are also some duplexes in that price range — you may find some with 3 bedrooms — that are also in North Euless in the GCISD.

The areas in HEB south of 183 are generally older homes and closer to your price range. Some of those areas are also quite nice. They are in the HEBISD which is also just fine.

An area you may also want to condsider is Southwest Arlington in the Martin High School attendance zone. You’ll find some well performing schools and reasonable rents in that area. Its about a 50 min commute in rush hour to Dallas but only about 30 min to downtown FTW. And there are many businesses in Arlington.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:50 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,418 times
HEB esp the feeders to LD Bell HS and the feeders to Martin HS as mentioned by WorldKlas are great areas with good schools. Real Estate in GCISD is ridiculous in terms of inflated cost and low inventory right now.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:06 PM

114 posts, read 93,199 times
I would agree that you should figure out where each of you will work before picking an area to live. You would think HEB being in the middle of the DFW area means you can travel anywhere but it really means you'll get stuck in traffic driving everywhere that isn't HEB. There are plenty of smaller law firms in HEB, particularly in Bedford, as well as decent legal departments in corporate offices in Las Colinas (north Irving).

HEB has a patchwork of areas, especially Hurst. Even south of 183 there are some newer areas--especially around Hurst Blvd.--that have nice, newer and cheaper homes than comparable homes in other parts of DFW. Plenty of older, quiet middle class communities on both sides of 183. If you hunt with a little patience you can undoubtedly find a nice home in your price range in HEB. Euless has some newer neighborhoods tucked away as well.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with where in HEB you live as much as whether you like the home and neighborhood. Quick access to a freeway will be nice if you or your husband travel for work. HEB is all uneventful suburbs. The exception is making sure you're living in your desired ISD. Northern parts of Euless and Hurst are in GCISD, which are nice schools. Some of Hurst is in Birdville ISD, on the west side.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:05 PM

420 posts, read 705,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacles View Post
HEB has a patchwork of areas, especially Hurst. Even south of 183 there are some newer areas--especially around Hurst Blvd.--that have nice, newer and cheaper homes than comparable homes in other parts of DFW. Plenty of older, quiet middle class communities on both sides of 183. If you hunt with a little patience you can undoubtedly find a nice home in your price range in HEB. Euless has some newer neighborhoods tucked away as well.
Some of my favorite neighborhoods of HEB are south of 183. Morrisdale Estates, that area of Bedford just west of Forest Ridge between Pipeline and the freeway, and Hurst Hills.

But yeah, north of the freeway is more consistent. Most people don't know but Hurst is actually served by four different ISD's: HEB, Birdville, Grapevine-Colleyville, and Keller ISD.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
What part of Hurst is in GCISD? Or Keller?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth