U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 02:14 PM

21 posts, read 21,538 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to TX, with the Dallas, Ft. Worth area under consideration. In a past home in the midwest, we lived several miles from the International, large airport (much smaller the DFW though) - and this was fine for several years until a cargo company filled their overnight runway hours, and a new runway was built, more flights overall, etc. All of a sudden it was as if we lived next to the runway. Now, the noise was only partially due to the flight paths - that was bad enough, but the terrain (hills) added to the noise, as did the orientation of our home.

Dallas/Fort Worth is a large area, and the DFW airport is huge and busy. What are areas to avoid when considering airport noise? I can see the orientation of the runways, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Any planned expansions or other, smaller airports planning to expand in the area?

We have one kid still at home, will be in middle school next year, so schools will factor in, but seems there are several good SD around the area. Our housing budget will be around 350-400k.

Thx in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM

641 posts, read 901,054 times
I saw this on another thread awhile back and thought it was very useful. It's a national noise map for roads and aircraft. Just zoom into the DFW area.

https://maps.bts.dot.gov/arcgis/apps...464cc0e9d5c9fb

If you're that sensitive to the noise, I would generally avoid that dark red corridor due north and due south of the airport between Grand Prairie and Flower Mound. If you're east or west of that corridor, you will see some overhead traffic depending on the flow of the pattern. I live about 5 miles west of DFW in Bedford and we do get a lot of overhead planes, but they are usually over 5000 if they are arriving and even higher for departures. I rarely hear planes if I'm indoors, especially after 11pm and when I do it is usually heavy cargo planes like the 747s that Cathay Pacific flies into DFW. Even that is not an everyday occurrence because of traffic flow changes.

One thing to keep in mind: Dallas-Fort Worth is a large metro area with a huge international airport, several smaller airports with varying degrees of traffic and aircraft types, an active military base with an attached manufacturer testing planes, a large helicopter manufacturer, and a few helicopter ambulance services. There is no way to get away from aircraft noise completely. My experience with noise near your home, whether it is aircraft, trains, or roads, is that it takes much less time to adjust to it than most people expect.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 21,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
My experience with noise near your home, whether it is aircraft, trains, or roads, is that it takes much less time to adjust to it than most people expect.
True for most situations, However, the experience we had, was not so easily adjustable. However, as noted, there were some specifics to that location that exacerbated the situation. We currently live where we have train and Interstate noise - sometimes its pretty bad if the weather/wind are going in a particular direction, but it has been an adjustable situation!

Thanks for the link!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:09 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
The good thing about DFW is the runways and final approach paths are mostly over freeways, commercial areas and lakes. The airport also owns large parcels of land under those paths, which avoids planes flying low over homes. At DFW, planes primarily take off to the south and land from the north. Only when there is a very strong north wind, or maintenance work being done on runways, does this reverse. The runways are also oriented north-south, not east-west.
For example, I live in Grapevine just northwest of DFW. It is extremely rare for any plane to fly over our neighborhood. And we only have noise for those few days a year I mentioned earlier.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:27 AM

664 posts, read 1,565,768 times
I live a little over 2 miles due west of the south entrance of DFW. I hear more road noise from 360 than I hear airplane noise. Where I'm at in particular it's hard for planes to cut west hard enough to fly over us. The ones that do are usually smaller planes. I was concerned when I moved to the area about airplane noise so I drove to the neighborhood I was looking at and took my kids to a nearby park to get an idea of how bad the noise would be.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM

537 posts, read 605,010 times
... THANK YOU to jbb303 for that great map link! Among other-state locations, we're looking at the SW-part of the DFW area, and knowing about noise levels in those areas will be a large factor in determining if we want to relocate to a specific area ...

Old 09-15-2017, 11:18 AM

490 posts, read 302,731 times
Dig that map jbb303! Thanks for taking time to post.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 PM

120 posts, read 91,139 times
I live in Grapevine, which is where the north part of the airport is located. I see planes in the air all the time...commercial, UPS, Fedex, etc.

Honestly, I rarely notice the sound. During the summer, the Gaylord hotel does fireworks over Lake Grapvine. I (my dog that hates loud noises) hear that perfectly. I live about 2 miles away from the hotel.

However, the planes have never been an issue. I'll put it this way, my neighborhood is pretty quite even though I'm less than 5 miles from the airport.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:27 PM

1,175 posts, read 872,287 times
There is pretty good noise everywhere in DFW area. Several busy airports... DFW, LUV, Addison, Alliance, Meacham, Bell Helicopter commuter route...Denton, McKinney and others.

Probably most noise is north and South of DFW..... and NW/SE of Alliance.....but that might be debatable if you live under another runway.

One thing you might do if it is that big of a concern is to make an appointment at the noise compatibility office at DFW. They've got some neat maps and tools to show you where the noise is, when it is, and who is making it.

Short answer is live to the middle and sides of the runways.

Things can change though.....for example at LUV typical movements are I believe north/south and therefore the noise is north and south of the ends of the runways. However often on weekends the E/W runway is used....or seems to be more noise over Cedar Springs/Oaklawn on weekends...I could have directions mixed up on that....some as the runways aren't perfect.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 PM

641 posts, read 901,054 times
The direction of the runways used is dependent on the wind direction. It doesn't have anything to do with weekdays vs. weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth