U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 PM

33 posts, read 28,256 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

I'm considering moving in to Benbrook to rent a while before deciding on exactly where to buy in that area generally and would appreciate some suggestions.

My family and I have planned a scouting trip this weekend where we hope to at least drive by a couple of likely rental candidates. We own our own home now, and haven't rented in quite some time, so this will be a bit of a change for us!

A freestanding single-family house is the most appealing, but we are willing to consider an apartment if it's nice.

We have four in our family and home school, in case that might affect any thoughts you may have. We have a few fairly severe allergies to at least some air-borne substances (e.g. cigarette smoke) which is one reason we have hesitated with apartments where having a smoking neighbor that close by could pose a problem. We also have a small dog.

Do you know of, and if so, would you be willing to mention (either in this thread or in a pm) any specific house rentals, or nicer apartments? We don't have a hard and fast limit on how much we want to spend, though all other things being equal, less is better! We'll aim for under 1500 a month and see if we can get any traction. If not, OK, we'll recalibrate.

The goal is to be able to drive by, or maybe even look inside, a couple of potential candidates as we take in the area.

We're familiar with various online services you can use to check for rentals such as trulia, zillow, realtor, apartmentguide, etc, so we're not asking you to do what we can do ourselves! Only if you have some experience or knowledge that might help, and might be willing to share.

Yishmeray
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 PM

191 posts, read 153,254 times
Are you looking at a specific portion of the Benbrook area? I would normally recommend the areas south of I-20, but that would be for those considering using the public schools. That said, access to parks and amenities also tends to be better south of I-20 than compared to north of I-20. Benbrook north of I-20 is not bad, though, especially considering that you aren't planning to use the public schools (the middle and high schools that serve most of northern Benbrook do draw from some less-than-savory portions of west Fort Worth).

Note that the above paragraph refers to areas within the city limits of Benbrook proper, and not to surrounding areas of Fort Worth. Benbrook proper tends to be pretty good except for a few areas near Williams Road in north Benbrook. There are some very nice areas of Fort Worth adjacent to Benbrook, including Waterside off of Bryant Irvin, Ridglea Country Club Estates (a portion of which is in Benbrook proper), plus the Oakmont Park area; however, there are also some areas to avoid, like Las Vegas Trail. Of course, the aforementioned nicer areas would probably be out of your budget for a family of four (but there may be some apartment options in those areas if you're willing to sacrifice on the number of bedrooms and bathrooms).

Last edited by bmlx; 09-21-2017 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Bmlx - thank you! Lots of helpful reference points here.

I am sorry for the delay in responding. I had thought I'd get an automatic notification and didn't. Some setting I'll look into fixing.

If at all possible, we'd like to stay in the city limits of Benbrook proper because of the water. We have some sensitivities in the family and have found that the better the water system, the fewer problems we have. Benbrook is one of the few systems in the state that does not use chloramines in water treatment, for instance.

Our trip was encouraging. We hope to get back in a week or so to continue our search and orientation.

The bike path along the river appeals greatly! The section of Benbrook bordered by about rio grande, trinity and winscott - about a dozen streets that seem a bit nicer than the areas just north and west of there, and very close to aforementioned trail - would you, or anybody else, be willing and able to comment on that?

Same question for the area by bellaire and east of the ridglea country club estates, which also looks to have pretty good access to that river trail, but may also have a lot of through traffic or local multi-unit residential traffic for that matter.

-- Yish

Old 09-26-2017, 01:05 AM

191 posts, read 153,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yishmeray View Post
The bike path along the river appeals greatly! The section of Benbrook bordered by about rio grande, trinity and winscott - about a dozen streets that seem a bit nicer than the areas just north and west of there, and very close to aforementioned trail - would you, or anybody else, be willing and able to comment on that?

Same question for the area by bellaire and east of the ridglea country club estates, which also looks to have pretty good access to that river trail, but may also have a lot of through traffic or local multi-unit residential traffic for that matter.

-- Yish
I would definitely look into both of those areas, if access to the trail system is important to you. Aside from the (expensive) Mont Del subdivision, the area of northeast Benbrook off of Bellaire is largely multi-family apartments, but I don't think there's a lot of through traffic on Bellaire at least, as the through traffic tends to stay on Bryant Irvin in that area.

With regards to the areas of Benbrook south of I-20, also note that the public schools are a little bit better on the northwest side of 377 for the elementary school level (Westpark Elementary), so that might might make rental prices a little bit higher in that area, in addition to there simply being newer and larger homes in that area. If you were using the public school system (and/or were to reconsider homeschooling for some reason, which I doubt you would) that would be the area I'd recommend most if you had kids in grades K-5. But with homeschooling, you have a lot more flexibility on where in Benbrook you would like to live. So I'd pick anywhere you like that has a rental available, and is something you can afford.

Since Benbrook water is important to you, beware that some of the newest developments on the northwest side of 377 (Ventana and Skyline Ranch) are in the city of Fort Worth, and not Benbrook.

*I mention the public schools here as school quality does affect rental and purchase prices, and for any other viewers of this thread considering the Benbrook area.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlx View Post

*I mention the public schools here as school quality does affect rental and purchase prices, and for any other viewers of this thread considering the Benbrook area.
Thank you again, so much!

We are alive to the question of public schools, their quality, and its affect on neighborhoods. We typically gravitate toward areas with better schools, partly because we might not homeschool later, and partly because those families who do their due diligence and are careful about neighborhoods that way are generally better, more aware neighbors.

As for all the rest of your thoughts on Bellaire/Ventana and Skyline Ranch - much obliged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth