U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:32 PM

186 posts, read 371,458 times

Advertisements

Good Morning! I happened to jump on CD this morning, and since I haven't been on for a long while, I thought to would start a new thread!

Some background: I haunted these boards for years, first when considering a move to North Carolina, then when researching a move to Texas - semi-retired - looking to leave NY - still have teens, so their future was a big consideration. Well, we made it to TX! We let a few months go by laying low, getting used to the big differences. We have no desire to duplicate NY here - we wanted something different, and to assimilate.

Well, I figured that these boards were chugging along since I left - and am shocked to see the lack of postings regarding Fort Worth (the area we selected). It seems to me that even the people interested in a town like Southlake should be posting on the FW side - after all it is in Tarrant county!

I live way up by Texas Motor Speedway, and still technically in FTW tax area. For those of you who are searching from afar as I did, this area can be VERY confusing and different from what you are used to - but it has SO MUCH TO OFFER!

So, in the spirit of showing North FW some love, I am going to share some good and bad to anyone who might be interested....

GOOD: OMG let me tell you the Dallas vs Ft Worth thing is funny! We did not have to worry about the commute, so we looked at both Collin (Dallas) and Tarrant/Denton (FTW) counties. We bid on a couple of houses in McKinney because we liked the town and believed the "growth" hype. Glad we ended up here because what we found out was that almost EVERYTHING McKinney/Allen has is duplicated to the west! Fabulous community center with new gyms and waterpark? Check. Upscale shopping? check. Good schools? check. Historic town with fun restaurants? check (Roanoke!!!) Proximity to airport? check. Growth? check.
Lastly, I found the churches here to be plentiful, and welcoming with a lot to offer/community oriented - refreshing!

Guys, I mean really, whether you choose the northern suburbs of Dallas OR Ft Worth - ITS ALL HERE! We actually found what we were seeking for less $$ here in the Roanoke area, so we were happy that McKinney fell through.

BAD: I wish it was easier around here to be informed. There is so much happening around this area that I don't see on the Dallas sites, and so much in Dallas that I don't see locally advertised here. For example, the Roanoke festival we attended, you wouldn't know about if you lived in Irving. We went to the Dallas airshow, which wasn't listed in FTW. Never see House of Blues shows listed on the sites for music around here. The great thing about the metroplex is that it is SO CLOSE! People around here seem to think NOTHING of distance driving. So why wouldn't I drive over to Dallas for music/festivals/events that I want to see? ITS NOT THAT FAR! I end up staying local more frequently because by the time I come across something, it is too late or plans have been made. I genuinely have considered making a unified DFW event clearinghouse so people can check on happenings throughout the entire DFW metroplex. If anyone knows of an existing site - let me know.
Can't stand the cable options around here and having a hard time getting used to central time...but thats minor!
Construction quality is not great and the yards are minascule - even if the house is big/expensive. Would like more teen unity outside of sports

Well, those are my random thoughts as a newcomer. I will check in more often now to answer any questions I can for those considering. I hope we can settle into our new life here and feel like a part of our local, but even larger FTW community, so would be happy to help others along. North of Fort Worth is a great area to live!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 04:30 PM

648 posts, read 907,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
Guys, I mean really, whether you choose the northern suburbs of Dallas OR Ft Worth - ITS ALL HERE!
You can probably take the northern out of there. All of the suburbs in any direction around this area have plenty to offer.

I tend to see a lot of event information pop up on Facebook. The Dallas Morning News has https://www.guidelive.com/ and the Star Telegram has Entertainment News | Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Both are entertainment pages that cover events in the area. Some are inevitably going to be missed, but it's a good start.

I find that we miss out on what sound like great events sometimes as well. There's a Romanian Food Festival in Colleyville that I say every year that we're going to attend and I completely forgot about it this year because I saw no advertising.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM

6,844 posts, read 5,729,102 times
You can probably take the northern out of there. All of the suburbs in any direction around this area have plenty to offer.

Agree 100%. Although our residence is in the Dallas SMU area, I am a big fan of All Things Tarrant County. And I have a rental property in old downtown Midlothian.....some great things in that area, too. It simply amazes me how ridiculous home shoppers are, especially those who don’t work in the north east side of the metromess and have a $200K - $400K budget, and are so focused on the Plano/Frisco/McKinney areas.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:34 PM

4,149 posts, read 2,432,251 times
I like the Marine Creek area. Get on 820 and go anywhere quickly. I like to hang out downtown and on Camp Bowie, so it's super easy to get there. Traffic isn't terrible here.

I loathe getting on hell highway (I35) so I only go east on 820 when I HAVE to go to the Heritage Trace/Tehama Ridge area.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:29 AM

186 posts, read 371,458 times
Yeah, I am starting to see the problems with I35W, hoping it will change?

Old 11-10-2017, 03:16 PM

410 posts, read 610,556 times
Quote:
Well, I figured that these boards were chugging along since I left - and am shocked to see the lack of postings regarding Fort Worth (the area we selected). It seems to me that even the people interested in a town like Southlake should be posting on the FW side - after all it is in Tarrant county!
This is an interesting point that I've wanted to bring up before. I think City-Data should combine the Dallas and Fort Worth boards. The Fort Worth board barely gets any traffic and people not from here will often make posts asking about Fort Worth suburbs in the Dallas forum not knowing any better. I realize they are two distinct cities, but they are in the same metro and most people just post in the Dallas forum.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:13 AM

280 posts, read 167,181 times
Shhhhhh, I'm trying to make a move out there soon away from Denton.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:31 PM

537 posts, read 607,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Shhhhhh, I'm trying to make a move out there soon away from Denton.
... And, I'm still trying to convince my (still-employed) DW that retiring somewhere in the 'Metroplex' would be a great move for us. Been looking at townhomes or SFHs in the Granbury-to-Grand-Prairie areas.
My Family all live down near Austin; DW's Family mostly live in Silicon Valley (yeah ... that one!) ...
She's been hearing about this from me for years ... Cali politics and demographics might just be taking their toll on her, though.

Any information about the aforementioned areas would be greatly appreciated ... Thank, Y'all!

Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 5,729,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... And, I'm still trying to convince my (still-employed) DW that retiring somewhere in the 'Metroplex' would be a great move for us. Been looking at townhomes or SFHs in the Granbury-to-Grand-Prairie areas.
My Family all live down near Austin; DW's Family mostly live in Silicon Valley (yeah ... that one!) ...
She's been hearing about this from me for years ... Cali politics and demographics might just be taking their toll on her, though.

Any information about the aforementioned areas would be greatly appreciated ... Thank, Y'all!
I have retired friends living in Granbury —- they moved from Southlake to Lantana and still found they wanted a more chill environment with less neighborhhods filled with busy familes. So within 2 years they moved again & they love Granbury and enjoy being around lots of other retireees.

We, as retirees, live in both DFW and Las Vegas NV. DFW mostly because I have family and business in the area. But Las Vegas’ 55+ communities are filled with CA transplants — and there’s more to do and the weather is better (DFW is much more humid). I guess you just have to decide how you want to spend your time; but if you like being outside a lot then DFW is not the best choice.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 AM

114 posts, read 69,648 times
Quote:
Yeah, I am starting to see the problems with I35W, hoping it will change?
Not likely.

Current plans for 35W being constructed will maintain two freeway lanes and add in the interior toll roads. That's not enough road and the tolls are so expensive in Tarrant County that not enough people use them. The weird thing is that when they rebuilt the 820/35W exchange in the early 2000s they built it to allow three lanes to be built in the future. Realistically with all the growth in Tarrant and Denton counties they need three or four free lanes plus two toll lanes.

Coming in along 35W will be an Ikea at North Tarrant and everything from Basswood to the motor speedway is going to develop with shopping and office space. So it is about to get so much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth