U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 PM

186 posts, read 103,206 times

Advertisements

I subscribe to this persons photo stream, but do not know him personally.

There's so much here that I never had any idea existed. Either it was before my time,
or I missed it growing up in Farmers Branch/Carrollton. We went to Fort Worth from
time to time, but I was just a child when some of these things were being torn down,
if not already gone.

There's so much about Fort Worth that seemed really great, and am sad I missed.
Fort Worth is still pretty great. It seems to have hung to more of its physical history
than Dallas has.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101669...57614878066596
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM

4,102 posts, read 2,386,985 times
Nice pics.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Nice pics.
There are a couple of people documenting this area in photos, but he's the only one that has a section for Fort Worth. I was really surprised to find out about some of those things, such as the Leonard's subway.

Fort Worth has always had something Dallas just doesn't. I grew up in north Dallas. The only really neat thing Dallas ever had that really appealed to me was Fair Park, and now that's slowly disappearing. Fort Worth has all sorts of natural areas, historical buildings, the stock yards, and so on. Dallas just tends to raze anything it can for real estate.

I'm glad I'm in Tarrant county now.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:08 AM

2,768 posts, read 4,912,203 times
Thanks for posting these pictures, Gone Again. I really enjoyed them.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:51 PM

637 posts, read 897,088 times
That album is fantastic. Before we go patting Fort Worth on the back too hard, keep in mind that probably better than half of the buildings featured in those photos are gone. Fort Worth has plenty of preservation victories, but there have been plenty of times they haven't been reluctant to pave over their past.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:49 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,409,086 times
Cool pics, thanks for posting the link!

(So many neat signs)

Old 11-30-2017, 11:25 AM

114 posts, read 68,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
That album is fantastic. Before we go patting Fort Worth on the back too hard, keep in mind that probably better than half of the buildings featured in those photos are gone. Fort Worth has plenty of preservation victories, but there have been plenty of times they haven't been reluctant to pave over their past.
So much this.

Fort Worth and Haltom City have/had a lot of great buildings from the 1930s to 1960s built in the Art Deco style of the 1930s into the automobile era of the 1960s but a lot them have been torn down or they are in complete disrepair.

Dallas has a lot of older buildings but they stand in the shadows of larger buildings built in the 1970s-1990s. Plenty of old motels, shops, apartment buildings, etc. in the city but they are more spread out.

Neither city has done a great job of maintaining its historical legacy. Fort Worth does a little better with the area around the museums but otherwise it's mostly the facade of its history. Downtown languished for decades before the Bass family unloaded money to redevelop it. The stockyards are a big part of Fort Worth history but half of it is empty and if you go a couple blocks off Main Street and it's a different world. Southside was nonexistent to the city until millenials descended on the area (much like Oak Cliff in Dallas). Fort Worth loves the idea of its history but has almost entirely relied on private money to purchase and redevelop its physical identity.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Thanks for posting these pictures, Gone Again. I really enjoyed them.
You're welcome.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Of course you're right. I recently found out that Fort Worth is going to be tearing down quite a few old buildings, and filling up more of its precious open space. Yeah, I can be naive, but not that naive. I was carried away by what I saw in those photos, I'll admit. But I also realized much of what those photos showed is gone now.

Money motivates blindly everywhere, not just Dallas.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacles View Post
So much this.

Fort Worth and Haltom City have/had a lot of great buildings from the 1930s to 1960s built in the Art Deco style of the 1930s into the automobile era of the 1960s but a lot them have been torn down or they are in complete disrepair.

Dallas has a lot of older buildings but they stand in the shadows of larger buildings built in the 1970s-1990s. Plenty of old motels, shops, apartment buildings, etc. in the city but they are more spread out.

Neither city has done a great job of maintaining its historical legacy. Fort Worth does a little better with the area around the museums but otherwise it's mostly the facade of its history. Downtown languished for decades before the Bass family unloaded money to redevelop it. The stockyards are a big part of Fort Worth history but half of it is empty and if you go a couple blocks off Main Street and it's a different world. Southside was nonexistent to the city until millenials descended on the area (much like Oak Cliff in Dallas). Fort Worth loves the idea of its history but has almost entirely relied on private money to purchase and redevelop its physical identity.
Someone recently told me that some portion of the stockyards is now, finally on the chopping block. Not just under discussion, but with actual plans, dates, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth