Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 AM

160 posts, read 196,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd11 View Post
Oh thank you all so much! Lots of info to process, but all useful. We currently live in the suburbs in southern Illinois, and I want to keep that same standard of living when we relocate. Close to grocery stores, YMCAs, parks and community centers for youth athletics, movie theaters, zoo/museums etc...its looking like there are quite a few areas that are "checking our boxes". I'm grew up in California, so I know traffic a little to well. As long as the commute is around 45 mins, maybe up to an hour, I won't pull all my hair out!
There are some nice established neighborhoods just to the south west of downtown around the TCU and Forest Park area. That is where you will find the botanical gardens, zoo, parks, museums, bars, nicer restaurants, etc. Prices are high but there are a lot of condo type developments going in that area. That is generally considered the "old money" area of town.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:31 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
[quote=kd11;50309960]Oh thank you all so much! Lots of info to process, but all useful. We currently live in the suburbs in southern Illinois, and I want to keep that same standard of living when we relocate. Close to grocery stores, YMCAs, parks and community centers for youth athletics, movie theaters, zoo/museums etc...its looking like there are quite a few areas that are "checking our boxes". I'm grew up in California, so I know traffic a little to well. As long as the commute is around 45 mins, maybe up to an hour, I won't pull all my hair out![/QUOTE

I was away from Fort Worth for 12 years when I worked in Seattle. My son, who continued to live here, provided me with sage advice: Do not buy a house INSIDE Interstate loop 820. He was so right. Demographics and conditions where I used to live had deteriorated. The few homes in Magnolia and Camp Bowie were out of my reach, but the ones north of 820 were not. We are very pleased with the Marine Creek area. Only six miles to downtown, close to everything.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:48 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My son, who continued to live here, provided me with sage advice: Do not buy a house INSIDE Interstate loop 820. He was so right. Demographics and conditions where I used to live had deteriorated.

I have read a lot of ridiculous things on this forum, but ^that^ probably tops the list. There are plenty of undesirable areas inside the loop, but there an equal number of really nice neighborhoods that won't disappoint.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I have read a lot of ridiculous things on this forum, but ^that^ probably tops the list. There are plenty of undesirable areas inside the loop, but there an equal number of really nice neighborhoods that won't disappoint.
I agree. I can think of a LOT of great neighborhoods within the loop.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:51 AM

884 posts, read 1,172,100 times
If you do stay in the suburbs since you work downtown, I presume during normal hours, the TRE might be a commuting option. Heck I did that for a couple weeks when I was in training at work...I took it all the way to Dallas from the Richland Hills station!
The TRE does not run as often as the Dallas side trains do...but they are nice trains.
TRE Weekday and Saturday Schedules Effective Monday, October 24, 2016 - Trinity Railway Express (TRE)
If you are working a typical 8-5 deal and you're really right downtown (there are 2 stops in downtown ft worth but there are also lots of business-type areas a few miles away and I'm not sure about the bus schedule) you might consider that. I bet a monthly TRE pass is easier to maintain than a monthly parking pass...maybe cheaper too...and less irritation. Parking is free at Hurst/Bell and Richland hills stations, although other posters are correct that it fills up early.

I live in the suburbs and I like it, but I don't have kids. Watauga has some nice neighborhoods that are either in Keller or Birdville ISD and in my experience is cheaper than Keller and sometimes NRH. So that's something to keep in mind too if you're wanting to stay out of the city. I live a mile away from Kroger, half a mile from the community center (memberships are stupid cheap, like $40/year, and they have group classes and youth programs too) and maybe a mileish away from a bunch of shopping centers on 377 with every store imaginable. But maybe the schools in NRH and Keller really are better...I wouldn't know that. 121 is okay driving into downtown except where it merges with 820 for awhile. That is a bear of a drive. Honestly I've worked alternative shifts for so long I have no idea what I would do with a normal schedule sitting in rush hour....probably cry :P

Welcome to the area from another midwesterner! Feel free to DM me if you want if you have more specific questions.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Call is what you wish. I feel the advice was sound. We did, indeed, look at homes INSIDE Loop 820 and were disappointed in the low-quality renovations and deteriorated neighborhoods. Where I grew up in Southwest Fort Worth is unsafe and the homes we saw all needed total renovations and the neighboring homes were unkempt.

I would have loved to purchase in the Camp Bowie area, downtown, or maybe Magnolia, but there was no way, on a federal employee salary I could afford the prices. Of course I would have preferred a more walkable neighbhood but where we are now is fine.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I take your point MSCHRIEF--and there are neighborhoods that I think we can all agree would not be top on our list...
And price is normally the driver for almost everyone's decision
If you can't afford what you feel is a desireable neighborhood in your price range in one location you have to look elsewhere...

Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I take your point MSCHRIEF--and there are neighborhoods that I think we can all agree would not be top on our list...
And price is normally the driver for almost everyone's decision
If you can't afford what you feel is a desireable neighborhood in your price range in one location you have to look elsewhere...
Exactly. Hopefully the OP makes a lot more than I do.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 5,044 times
I recently re-located to Fort Worth. I started in Burelson which is south of FW. Its an OK town, seems older, but has all the amenities that you would need. Not sure about the schools, but heard the Crowley ISD wasnt that great.

35W up to Fort Worth is a nightmare. Heavy traffic and bad drivers. ALWAYS an accident during rush hour.... if you are from So Cal, think 405 south of Sepulveda Pass.

I bought a house in Aledo (west of FW). Love the area. It pretty quiet (except for the occasional fly over) fairly rural, and seems to be pretty low on crime. It is in the Aledo School District (From what I understand, one of the better ISD's)

My family is in college and commutes into FW for school. My youngest travels to Texas Weslyan via the 30 and takes him about 25 minutes to commute there. Wife and son go to Southwestern Seminary via the 20 and takes them about 20 minutes to commute there.

I like being outside of the 820 loop. Only takes about 10 minutes to get into Weatherford, 25 minutes to get into Fort Worth.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You can search threads on FTW forum for all those towns--
Joshua ISD I don't think I would recommend just because it is smaller district
NRHills has two school districts --Birdville and Keller--
Both are what I would consider good but there is variation within the district as to stronger/weaker schools

My experience says that the more you can afford to spend on rent the better ISD you can likely get into

I live in this area, and the consensus among all my neighbors is that houses that feed into Keller (they actually go to Keller HS) have better resale value than the houses that feed into Birdville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth