U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 03:23 PM

46 posts, read 82,849 times

Advertisements

After months of looking at different states, I think my wife and I have settled on Texas, in the Fort Worth area. We currently live in Reno, and need to get away. Rent, and property value are outright ridiculous due to Tesla setting up shop here, and all the Californians moving in, and driving the price of everything up.

My wife and I have childhood friends that live in the area, so at least we know people when we do move (her friends live in Azle, and my friend is in Fort Worth). Let me get into our situation a little though. For right now, I am my wifes caregiver. She is disabled, and permanently wheelchair bound due to complications of diabetes. She does get a disability check, so we have a regular income (so to speak) going into this. I will be looking for a job when we get there, after my wife arranges for in home care. Plus we have an 11 year old boy that will be 12 in August, and of course looking for a decent school for him that deals well with learning disabilities. So here are my questions..

1. Where would be good place to start looking, that is affordable, and in a decent school district?

2. Is there good jobs around the area? Most of my experience has been in warehousing, but I have been thinking of trying to go to work for a leather company of some sort. I have been working with leather for about 15 years or so.

3. Is it difficult for "outsiders" or non-natives to make friends, and acquaintances? My son likes having friends around, and I'm sure he'll make some at his school, and I can get along with just about anyone. My wife though is a different story, we have a tendency to pick real winners when it comes to friends for her. For whatever reason, Reno is absolutely inundated with flakes, and really fake people. She is convinced that nobody wants to be around a person in a wheelchair.

4. I know Texas is mainly conservative, but what is the political atmosphere like? I ask because I generally don't care, and I keep my political opinions to myself, or voice them to close friends and family. In todays world of politics, it seems if you disagree with a certain side you are labeled negatively, and I just don't need that in my life. I have enough on my plate without worrying about that nonsense.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 AM

155 posts, read 116,440 times
What kind of living are you looking for? Rural with land? Subdivision? Downtown?

Be aware that the real estate market here is probably not much better than Reno. DFW is one of if not the hottest housing market in the country right now. It is very hard to find a house in a good neighborhood for less than $200,000, and anything in the $200,000-$300,000 range sells very quickly (sometimes within hours of going up for sale). Rental properties are also in very high demand here. There are a TON of apartments all over Fort Worth if that is more what you are looking for. I generally steer people towards the Grapevine, Hurt, Euless, Bedford area for decent schools and somewhat reasonable house prices.

The job market seems to be strong especially with warehousing. Many companies have large distribution centers around DFW. North Fort Worth around the Texas Motor speedway has several large warehouse complexes.

Yes Texas is a hardcore conservative state but it doesn't really start to manifest itself until you get out of the big cities. Small rural towns can be very religion focused. Also don't be surprised to see a confederate flag every now and then. We like our guns and big trucks. Open carry of handguns is legal here (i believe it also is in Nevada?) but i have yet to see a single person open carrying a gun. Texans have a lot of state pride and like to rag on other states but it is mostly all in good fun. Except for BBQ, don't insult Texas BBQ or you might have a riot on your hands.

DFW, Austin, and Houston are all very diverse and open to newcomers. You may run into some people who are resentful of people moving here. We are sort of suffering from the same thing you are. Dem dang Californians takin our jobs! That said, Texas has the some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:09 PM

46 posts, read 82,849 times
Just looking for comfort mainly. Looking at apartment (wheelchair accessible) living for a couple years until things settle down, and we are able to explore on our own. From what I've been able to research from here, property prices are better, and the area offers more than here (activities, programs, etc). Property prices, and rent have gone up due to Tesla moving in, and landlords getting greedy. They were serving "no fault" eviction notices to long time residents, fix up the apartments, then charge double the rent because they could when housing is in demand. So it wasn't necessarily "Californians are stealing our jobs" but more along the lines of "Californians are moving here to get away from their state, and high property values to drive up ours"

I'm used to open carry, as It's legal here as well, and doesn't really bother me. It's the people who don't know how to handle their weapon, or the idiots who get them to look like a thug (more often than not they are one and the same) are the ones who freak me out, and generally they are the ones you hear about on the news.

Just going to try to do whats best for my family, because moving back to Reno was a huge mistake that we need to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth